HA not available in iOS notifications section

Guess this is a duplicate of

Have you added these to your configuration.yaml file?

mobile_app:
discovery:

lolouk44 I did post twice as I wasn’t sure my first post went through. I have the default_config: enabled which contains the mobile_app: and discovery: is enabled. Just to clarify the integration is being created and the service exists notify.mobile_app_jasons_iphone. I’m going into the developer tools section and calling the notify.mobile_app_jasons_iphone service and sending it a message:. The Companion app on my phone upticks by one under the app config notifications section and down at the bottom there is a rate limits section. The app is receiving the notification and shows it as delivered. However iOS is suppressing it. The companion app does not show up in the notifications section within ios setting for me to tell iOS to allow them.

Did you update the notification push settings in the app?

I’m not exactly sure what your asking. Within HA Companion there is a App Configuration section. Under notifications I have confirmed that the app is receiving the push events because I can see the delivered under rate limits increase as I send tests.

Only pointing you to the settings for push-id (recovery) and ‘import push-configuration from server’ buttons.

I’ve seen many community fellows forget updating these, and hence not receiving notifications.

wont hurt to try just to be sure.

Hm as far as I know the push token is only used for actionable notifications. Not sure though. But I will suggest to take a look at one of my older posts!

It might help, or it might not, but I will suggest trying (do not skip steps! important!)

Hey Jim,

You will NOT be able to use the iOS services any longer as they are not used in 2.0. ios is deprecated, mobile_app is the current method. Actionable notifications set in ios will still work though. You might need to create a fake action in the app for them to work properly.

this is not exactly correct really. We can still use notify.notify and still use the iOS services as long as you don’t throw away the iOS.conf…

also, there is no extra fake action necessary at all to have actionable notifications behave as before. They simply work as before.

keeping the iOS.conf might be against the migration guidelines but it doesn’t do any harm at all up to now :wink:

only thing that might be necessary for all of the above, is to rename the iOS services/devices, because the new mobile_app names all services after the device-name of the phone, and these might already be taken by the old sensors. rename these, and all your naming issues are gone.
Too bad the mobile_app names all sensors identically, so, if you have several, this will require a lot of editing to prevent the silly suffixes _2, _3, _4 on all mobile_app sensors…

Gotcha. Yes this is something I have done and it does receive a category I have defined. I was an original beta user and I’m wondering if now that I have the production release something has gone wrong within iOS.

hmm thats weird then, so you see all coming in and being counted, it’s just you don’t see the notification in your phone?

You are correct, ios will still work, however new users or people that didn’t use 1.5.1 in the past might not have this. I for one don’t have it I believe as I haven’t used the 1.5.1 app ever since 2.0 was in beta.

Also I have to mention that I made that specific post a few months back when it was still in beta. You don’t have to do the fake notification, but I believe it is also mentioned that you should only attempt that if it isn’t working (and in the beta period this would often be the case when using actionable notifications for the first time with the “old” ios config)

The only reason I share this again because this method has worked 100% of the time for me and all devices I have set up in the past.

When coming from beta, I will still suggest to remove ALL integrations regarding the mobile app in HA, restart HA and then reinstall the app and start the onboarding process again. (Then after onboarding restart HA while the app is open so it can register the mobile_app notify service, which is not there after onboarding).

Ofc a lot has changed regarding the app, but following these steps should theoretically make it work unless there are other problems.

Edit: still, it wouldn’t hurt to try :rofl::joy:. Maybe it will solve his problem. Sometimes these kind of things are found on such simple solutions. But like I mentioned I can’t guarantee that it works for him. It worked for virtually everyone I had set it up for in the past so who knows.

That’s correct. It doesn’t seem that the operating system knows that the app is registered to receive push notifications. So although the app is acknowledging receipt there is no option in iOS to allow push for HA Companion.

cool.
all I can say is I’ve been using 1.5 and beta parallel for a very long time (used them to each control another HA instance I have running, which was very handy) but also to check the same instances and see the differences. (switching between servers was way easier on the 1.5 app, still haven’t found my way in doing so in the 2.0 version…I believe I’ve read this is intentional unfortunately)

Installing the 2.0 app and registering it with the HA instance sufficed to get it all working as expected, with the aforementioned sensor-naming ‘issues’ that had to be tackled.

other than that, happy camper.

just remember to update the settings in the app after changing anything in the code, it is what most people forget…

Noticed another post where AlRos is having the exact issue that I am.

have you deleted all mobile_app referecense in the .storage files already. And do a restart to let the registry rewrite all details afresh?

also, and this might sound silly, but when you check settings in your iPhone and scroll to notifications, don’t you see a homeassistant icon and all available options there?

I have not tried deleting mobile_app references. When I go to setting , notifications section in iOS (iPhone) there is no homeassistant icon. If I scroll all the way down to the home assistant app under settings there are only 4 settings, location which is set to always, siri & search, background app refresh which is on and cellular data which is on. No notification entry there either.

thats odd, it should really be there…Ill try and post from my iPhone after hitting reply here

this is different also here:

note this is an iPhone 11 pro with iOS 13.2.3

I was using actionable notifications prior to the 2.0 upgrade. I have many apps where push is working so I don’t believe it is an iOS issue.

well, out if ideas then, other than checking the naming. As said, I’ve renamed my ‘old’ device_trackers (with the suffix ‘_ios’) so I am positively certain the HA server sees the difference between old and new.

OMG, I’m an idiot. This doesn’t seem intuitive to me but I uninstalled the home companion app from my phone. When I reinstalled it has the three options for location, pedo and notification. They have an allow button next to them. I didn’t realize the buttons were clickable. When I clicked the notification button it trigger iOS and now I see it in my notifications section.

yes indeed. Must confess I agree with the ‘unobtrusiveness’ of these buttons…:wink:
same goes for the allow buttons on movement etc etc. Just click everything :wink: