Notifications not working in 2.0 Beta

Step 1: delete app from phone
Step 2: delete integration in HA via the integrations menu (Do NOT forget this!)
Step 3: restart HA
Step 4: reinstall beta app on phone
Step 5: start onboarding process
Step 6: when onboarding process complete pull down to refresh
Step 7: restart HA but leave the app open (and make sure your phone doesn’t lock or blackout the screen)
Step 8: Happy notifying

Notifications can be sent via the notify.mobile_app_your_iphone service.

You will NOT be able to use the iOS services any longer as they are not used in 2.0. ios is deprecated, mobile_app is the current method. Actionable notifications set in ios will still work though. You might need to create a fake action in the app for them to work properly.

Good luck.

4 Likes

Reinstalled and removed the integration a few times and now it’s working again
Thanks for your idea, did it in that way

Thanks for that, got mine sorted now, just have to tell the wife not to upgrade her app until next week when I can do her notifications. Now to see if I can get a snapshot of who is at the front door. I have the camera snap shot URL and it is the HIK Vision analytics that drives the automation - TTS to Alexa and iPhone Notification.

Hi folks

I have the same issue but with the production v2 app.
I have followed the instruction on the mobile app wiki exactly. I have the location, pedometer and battery sensors all working. But I cannot get notify to work at all. I am using an iOS phone I have also simply tried sending a notify message from the developer tab section and still nothing. I am using the notify mobile app with my correctly identified iPhone.

I also get the increment in attempts and delivered with each message but no actual notification

I followed the above instruction as well but still nothing.

Is there another prerequisite that is not listed in the notify wiki ??

I am at a loss as all the examples are all so simple and straightforward

Thanks for any help

Al

I suggest checking your notification permissions in iOS settings>Home Assistant. If all looks OK, try resetting your Push ID within the App from going to App Configuration>Notifications>Reset. Then restart HA and try again

Hi Tom

Thanks for the suggestion - I have every possible option enabled in the app under notification and privacy.

I did as you suggested again but no luck. But the message counts continue to increment.

My phone name is al’s iPhone but I notice in home assistant it is alsiphone not sure if that is an issue. Also I have not created a specific category?

Al

Ok this makes two of us now. I have the exact same issue AIRos is having. Receiving increment in attempts and delivered but no notification. Also HA Companion does not show up in the iOS setting / notification section.

AlRos try uninstalling and reinstalling the companion app on your phone. When you configure it to connect to HA there are three options that come up with allow buttons. Click the allow button for notification. I did this and now I see it in my notifications section.

yep thats it.
if all is well now you should then see this:

Yep notifications are now working. Maybe it’s just me but this doesn’t seem very intuitive to me. I also find it interesting that location services are configured even if you don’t click the allow button in the beginning.

OMG!!

I can’t believe how much time I spent on this! Yes the three options during the app install appeared like the options were already “allowed”. It seemed like if I toggled them they would toggle to not allow.

Any way thank you to all that helped clarify this issue and such a simple oversight that drove me crazy !! Once I actually pressed on allow - the colour changes and now every thing works

Happy new year and holidays
Al

Just tried this with the 2.0 beta app and sadly it didn’t work. Notify still broken and geocoded location still broken. I just get a new sensor (for example sensor.geocoded_location_13). So somewhere HA is keeping track of all the previous sensors and not nuking the integration/configs properly…

@daneboom You likely need to go through the full cleanup: https://companion.home-assistant.io/en/troubleshooting/beta-cleaning

I’ve done all these steps countless times and still nothing. I’ve named my phone “Chris” under the mobile app integration but still after many attempts only notify.mobile_app_iphone shows up. This wouldn’t be a problem if I wasn’t trying to send different notifications to different iPhones.

The notify service cannot be renamed in HA. It will take the name from the ios device name set in ios settings.

I’ve named the device Chris iPhone in the integration but it still just shows up as notify. Mobile_app_iphone in the services tab.

I too am in the same boat. I’ve followed the instructions above several times with no luck. Also on an iPhone, receiving increment attempts, no app in the notifications setting within the iPhone–I’m at a loss. Will we have to wait until there’s an update to the app? It was all working fine last week which is the most frustrating thing about this.

Did you try my steps? Make sure to delete it first and restart home assistant before you attempt to connect it again.

1. Delete app from phone
  2. Remove integration from HA
  3. Restart HA
  4. Reinstall app on phone
  5. Open app and start onboarding
  6. At the last screen you MUST press the allow notifications button.
  7. When phone is connected to HA, refresh the page and restart HA but leave your phone open (make sure it doesn’t lock when it is restarting) move your finger around the screen until it is restarted
  8. Refresh your phone screen
  9. Go to dev-tools > services and check if you have the following service: notify.mobile_app_yourname
  10. If it is there it should work! Happy notifying

This method has worked for me on several iphones for almost a year for a 100% out of all attempts. If you still cant get it to work I’d suggest reading the official docs on how to clean it.

3 Likes

Wow, thanks for replying so quickly. It was my own stupidity, lack of attention to detail, and home assistant novice that killed me. On the start up screen of the HA companion app I read ‘Allow’ as ‘this is allowed already, no need to toggle.’

Funny enough toggling ‘Allow’ changes it to ‘Allowed’ and it’s working now.

1 Like

Thanks this worked for me. I think what really helped me was removing the integration, resting the push ID in the app and restarting HA