HA on a Pi - No VM within Pi and no Docker install

Hello –

Is it possible to install HA on a Pi of some type without installing it within a VM on the Pi or within docker. I am strongly against docker because I can use add-ons, namely HACS. Advice appreciated.

HACS does not provide addons, never has, never will. Only integrations and frontend resources (e.g.cards).

If you want addons install Home Assistant OS (uses Docker but you never see it).

If you don’t want Docker at all your only choice is a Core install and that will not support addons. Addons are containerised applications (Docker).

I just went through a docker install on a Pi and was quite pissed to see no integrations. I will take blame for not reading more carefully. As far as my description for HACS let’s not go tit for tat. I think you probably know why I wanted it. That said you didn’t answer my question. Can I do. Install on Pi without Docker so I can get official HA add ons.

Yes, you can run Home Assistant OS in a Raspberry Pi.

But when you say Pi, which model are you talking about?

I am trying to do this on Orange Pi in way that gives me access to add ons. I do not want docker which limits my options

You seem to be very confused.

Integrations are available with every Home Assistant install.

Add-ons are only available for Home Assistant OS (and supervised but that’s a trap).

Yes I did:

You can compare the different options here: https://www.home-assistant.io/installation/#compare-installation-methods

You had a Container install, you want an OS install.

Maybe I am confused to some degree. My first HA presently running on a VM has add ons under settings, which is where I got HACS if my memory is correct. When I installed HA on docker on Orange Pi I did not see add on. I was hoping my HA on the Pi would be the same as on VM. Goal is to have Pi on all the time not the VM running on older computer. Sorry if rude just frustrated

It is not correct. HACS is an integration that provides and manages integrations. Absolutely nothing to do with add-ons. Addons and integrations are two completely different things. Addons are containerised (Docker) applications managed by Home Assistant OS. Integrations are how any version of home assistant connects to devices and provides services.

You can not install addons if you used the Container install method (even though addons are Docker containers). Addons are written especially for HA OS. If you install HA Container you have to manage your own containers. If you install HA OS you can have addons. Both install methods have integrations that you can install and manage with HACS.

Can you post a reasonably new link for setting up Pi on Ubuntu. That will be fine because I already confirmed the Orange Pi is running Ubuntu. I don’t trust half the results I see from Google results due to age of them and applicable to what I need\want to do.

No I can’t. Home Assistant OS does not run on Ubuntu.

Home Assistant Supervised only runs on Debian - no derivatives and no other software installed. It is also one of the worst choices of install method, though it does have addons.

What about on Raspian? I only went with Orange Pi because it’s next to impossible to get one unless you pay the crooks\scalpers 3x the price

Brian - maybe you could help elaborate on what you would like to achieve in the end?

What devices you have, what devices you plan to have, what do you want to do with those devices, what kind of integration or add-on we are talking about, what kind of automation or smart home you wish to have… etc…?

Not in front of my computer right now but end goal is to get HA on a Pi of some kind, prefer Pi 400 or Orange Pi 800. To have everything I want for now and future need. HA Container just doesn’t work since add ons are missing. Being able to use HACS is important

Not certain how much you want to spend but you can consider x86 systems, which today have similar prices, if not better sometimes, to RPis or other ARM based solutions.

For whatever is worth check these systems as they are available immediately. For like normal domotics use of HA (e.g. no NAS or NVR) you can buy these systems without having to buy more storage or memory. Actually one of them I have been testing with heavy Internet media streaming under HAOS and they do not break sweat. They all come with plenty of RAM and 4 cores.

https://www.gowinsolution.com
https://www.minisforum.com
https://www.bee-link.com

GoWin focuses their products in the network-router market, but they are fantastic for HAOS installations as well. Actually you can run a competent system using Proxmox VE and then HAOS in a VM. Their website at this moment has issues so I provide some of the systems available. Price between US$ 200-350.

|Intel Celeron N5100 CPU + 8GB RAM + 128GB Storage 32.5 GbE 1M.2 2280 NVMe Fanless

|Intel Celeron N5100 CPU + 16GB RAM + 128GB Storage 32.5GbE 1M.2 2280 NVMe Fanless

|Intel Celeron N5105 CPU + 8GB RAM + 128GB Storage 32.5GbE 1M.2 2280 NVMe 1*WIFI/BT module (AMD RZ608 or Intel AX210NGW )

|Intel Celeron N5105 CPU + 16GB RAM + 128GB Storage 32.5GbE 1M.2 2280 NVMe 1*WiFi6E/BT module (AMD RZ608 or Intel AX210NGW )

|Intel Pentium N6005 CPU + 16GB RAM + 128GB Storage 32.5GbE 1M.2 2280 NVMe Built-in WiFi6E/BT module + 2 antennas

|Intel Celeron N5105 CPU + 8GB RAM + 128GB Storage 32.5GbE + 210GbE SFP+ 1*M.2 2280 NVMe

|Intel Celeron N5105 CPU + 16GB RAM + 128GB Storage 32.5GbE + 210GbE SFP+ 1*M.2 2280 NVMe

|Intel Pentium N6005 CPU + 16GB RAM + 128GB Storage 32.5GbE + 210GbE SFP+ 1*M.2 2280 NVMe Built-in WiFi6E/BT module + 2 antennas

Thanks but I may go for an unofficial install like the one shown here until I can a Pi 400. I willing to try it

No. Not if you want a supported install.

You are “making a rod for your own back”.

I will take my own chances. but you could not resist the cheapshot comment. Feel great for the day chump

It really wasn’t intended as a cheap shot. And I am sorry if I offended you. But you are making trouble for yourself by choosing this option.

2 Likes

At least make sure the guide you are following is up to date.
Supervisor have got a lot of new health checks lately, so if the guide is not up to date, then you will never get close to a running setup.