HA on Raspberry Pi Compute Modules?

Anyone planning on deploying HA on Raspberry Pi Compute Modules?

1 Like

After watching this Video, I will definitely look into it - I mean plugging in a PCIe SSD drive directly must be a huge improvement in stability/reliability and performance. I wish they had implemented an actual M.2 slot, but well, we can’t have everything.

(would this require HASSOS adaptations, or would it just work?!)

I’m curious what the price will be - currently it’s sold out everywhere with no estimate on when/whether it will be back in stock…

1 Like

“With the new kernel and U-Boot Home Assistant OS can now also run on the Compute Module 4 as well as the Pi 400 (the keyboard).”

1 Like

i have replaced my rpi 4 with compute 4. the compute 4 module has far better bluetooth range and less interference on the zigbee. still missing an adapter for m.2 so I can test external data harddisk

1 Like

This CM4 carrier board has a slot that might be of interest for an nvme drive: https://liliputing.com/2021/02/tofu-carrier-board-for-the-raspberry-pi-compute-module-4-supports-nvme-ssds-or-4g-lte-network-cards-among-other-things.html - not cheap though!

This might be an option and looks promising.
Raspberry Pi boots off an NVME SSD, natively!

So anyone do it yet?!

Home Assistant OS Release 5 now supports the Pi CM4, I have ordered a MirkoPC carrier board ( MirkoPC -> CM4 carrier board | Hackaday.io ) . It will be a couple of months before it arrives.
( Home Assistant OS Release 5 - Home Assistant )

Let us know when you got it all setup!

Ended finding an i5 NUC for $100, so I went that route with a M.2 SSD.

Hi all,

I just started playing with the following:

• CM4 (2GB, no eMMC, no wifi, just first try , and for sure better than my current 3b)
  • this carrier board: CM4-IO-BASE-B - Waveshare Wiki
  • an NVMe disk

Want use a native HASSOS but sofar it seems not to be working.

Steps:

• install RaspberryOS on an SDcard, and run rpi-update.
  • tweak with rpiboot, to add nvme support: current raspberry imager does not support enabling NVMe, so you have to git clone the rpiboot code (GitHub - raspberrypi/usbboot: Raspberry Pi USB booting code, moved from tools repository) on a linux machine and make a bootloader update.
  • “etcher” hassos on the NVME disk by using an nvme-to-usb adapter.
  • try to boot with the SdCard removed (boot sequence should use NVMe at first but better safe than sorry)

Sofar:
The native NVMe boot claims I need an updated “software” (and I just run both up-to-date bootloader code and cm4 firmware), so it seems that something went wrong.
Trying to clone current raspberryOS on sdcard to NVMe and verify whether my setup is botched or there is some tweak on HASSOS to be performed.

stay tuned

m.

Update:
The issue was due to start4.elf.
Copying the file to the first partition let me get past this… landing to nothing.
Problem now is that HassOs does not use same kernel file placement as RaspBian so I have to tweak a bit the installation, or fallback to less desiderable solutions such as running HA on top of a standard Rasbian + docker.

As a test, I used RaspberryOS’ own SDcard copy, and cloned the SDcard content to NVME. and it boots correctly.

An important note for those trying to install hassos/haos on a CM4: The following has to be added to /config.txt in the boot partition:

device_tree=bcm2711-rpi-cm4.dtb
dtoverlay=dwc2,dr_mode=host

This has been mentioned in an GitHub issue – I was not able to find that info anywhere else.

Hi all,

I’ve been lurking here for a while and tried the same as @murraythegoz for the CM4-IO-BASE-A, with the same result of

Yesterday I stumbled across Home Assistant OS Release-7, which adds

NVMe boot support for RPi Compute Module 4 for U-Boot

and also the newest beta bootloader.

I flashed the bootloader on my 8GB CM4 Lite and HA on an NVME SDD and have native HA OS running now!

I haven’t tried installing the OS Release 7 without updating the bootloader, but I suspect the “added support for FAT16” in pieeprom-2021-10-04.bin to be crucial.