HA on rPi4 - working now but wondering about using the Pi for more than just HA

I have a great working HA on rPi4b with external SSD. Running Home Assistant OS as below:

Version core-2022.6.2
Installation Type Home Assistant OS
Development false
Supervisor true
Docker true
User root
Virtual Environment false
Python Version 3.9.12
Operating System Family Linux
Operating System Version 5.15.32-v8
CPU Architecture aarch64
Timezone America/New_York

But I am currently using only 9.7gb of the 220gb SSD and less than 8% of CPU processing power.

I’m wondering about using the Pi for more than just HA and how to mimic my current install but also allow for more to be added on to the machine.

I previously was using HA via Docker on Synology but had some issues with that setup as wasn’t ‘native’/supervised and prefer the cleaner install I have now.

Appreciate your thoughts

You’d use add-ons to run other software. That’s the only way, at least if you want to keep using Home Assistant OS.

And there are a lot of add-ons out there.

So @eoren1 - What else you have in mind when you say “more than just HA”?

Not sure

I use Channels DVR for TV locally and remote and had issues with it on my Synology but just found there is an update so going that route

This honestly started when I began to research new cases for the Pi and then thought about adding an M2 SSD instead of my current external SATA SSD and then realized how little space and CPU I use and then started to wonder what else I could do with all that extra ‘headroom’ on the Pi

Also you only mentioned how much cpu and storage space is being used. How much memory does your rpi have and how much are you using? And is 8% cpu usage the peak, average or the number that happened to be on the screen when you looked at it?

Hi,
You should be able to install HA supervised on top of something like raspbian lite and get pretty much the same experience as an OS install, I migrated mine from unraid and used core and ran it with Channels DVR but lost addons and HACS and only found a supervised guide after I’d got another Pi for a HA OS install. :unamused:

Being a glutton for punishment though I tried it to see if it’d work and it did, only ran it for a couple of days though so ymmv. I used this guide

Maybe slip a card in and have a go, it worked fine from what I can remember and I’m just a cut and paste merchant, I don’t know where I’d be without youtube and forums like this :rofl:

You should not do this. Raspbian is not a supported os for a supervised install. Here are the requirements for a supported supervised install. Notice it says debian (no derivatives). If you try to do this you will definitely run into a lot of issues that you’ll have to find your way past yourself as your system won’t be supported.

Also I’m not sure what the author would gain with this route. The only allowed containers in a supervised install are addons, same as HAOS. If you try to run a non-addon container then you will be running an unsupported system and likely to face strange issues you have to be prepared to debug on your own.

1 Like