HA OS in VM on TrueNAS Scale - not all HACS installs work

I used this method HA OS on TrueNAS Scale, as blow, and it installed without any problems, then installed HACS with this HACS install.

Make sure to use a location on your data pool as a working directory, don’t use any system directory.

Use wget to get the ova file:

Code:

wget https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/releases/download/6.6/haos_ova-6.6.ova

Extract the ova file using tar:

Code:

tar -xvf haos_ova-6.6.ova

Convert the vmdk to a raw image file, I had to use the full working directory for the source:

Code:

qemu-img convert -f vmdk -O raw /must include full working path/home-assistant.vmdk hassos.img

Create a Zvol using the TrueNas Scale GUI - Be sure to make it large enough for dd to complete, I used 35 Gib.

Use dd to write the image file to your zvol

Code:

dd if=hassos.img of=/dev/pool/yourzvolhere

Create a virtual machine using the gui and attach the zvol you just created as the hdd

Enjoy Hassos. Hope this helps.

The VM is allocated an IP address by DHCP and I log into 192.168.0.252 without any problems.
While it almost works flawlessly, some of the HACS integrations and cards do not show up in the Integrations Install options and Add Card to Lovelace options. There aren’t any error messages in the logs about this. I have restarted HA many times but the same integrations and cards do not show.

Is there something I am missing? Can an update be forced through the CLI or GUI? I’ve posted in the TrueNAS Scale forums but the poster of the method has not visited the forums for six months.

Edit: I realise I was a bit sparse with details so have updated.

1 Like

Hi @Tromperie,

Sorry I can’t be more helpful but I moved my HA configuration (with HACS) from the Plugin on TrueNAS CORE to an HA Blue running Home Assistant OS and finally back to TrueNAS SCALE running HA container – I have not noticed any issues with HACS.

1. Did it work when you were running Home Assistant Core?
  2. Did you try clearing the cache from your web browser?

It’s my understanding HACS should be the same no matter which installation method you choose. I’m not aware of any reason that would prevent HACS from functioning, especially if your using Home Assistant OS.

Thanks Troy,

1. It did work 100% correctly with HA Core on TrueNAS Core, and still does. The demise of ESPHome means I need to run the same as you. I don’t want or need another computer running 24/7. I now have an eight core/16 thread server with 32GB running Scale so power won’t be a problem.

2. Yes, I cleared the browser cache and still the same.

I can’t find a reason so I will create another VM and see what happens.

Regards