HA OS on Pimox (Proxmox V7 for Rpi)

Is this a Raspberry Pi?

Yes, RPI4 using 256Gb USB SSD

You’re running the wrong script.

Try this one

bash -c "$(wget -qLO - https://github.com/tteck/Proxmox/raw/main/vm/pimox-haos-vm.sh)"

Super that worked, apologies for the miss, and thanks for supporting so quickly!

1 Like

Hi @austin17427 what were the drawbacks that made you move back to bare metal? Regards,

Plz Update pveversion check to work on 7.4 ---->

if [ $(pveversion | grep -c “pve-manager/7.[2-9]”) -eq 0 ]; then

Thank you for bringing this to my attention. The issue has since been resolved.

What I noted above :point_up_2: (HA being the noisy neighbor) was the compelling reason in going bare-metal. Also I couldn’t use Pi native stuff like “Raspberry Pi Power Supply Checker”. I had to pass the bluetooth device “ASUS USB-BT500” as a device to the vm. Another big reason was I had a 2GB Pi laying around. I don’t know if those answer your question or apply to your use case.

Hi tteck - I tried the script you provided for RPI4 and it does not do anything. Does the VM still exist? Thanks for any advice and your work on this.

Yep,

bash -c "$(wget -qLO - https://github.com/tteck/Proxmox/raw/main/vm/pimox-haos-vm.sh)"

Thanks for the reply tteck. I am getting the below error re: “cannot set up guest memory 'mach-virt.ram”…

Creating a HAOS VM using the above default settings
✓ Using local for Storage Location.
✓ Virtual Machine ID is 100.
https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/releases/download/10.3/haos_generic-aarch64-10.3.qcow2.xz
✓ Downloaded haos_generic-aarch64-10.3.qcow2.xz
✓ Extracted Disk Image
✓ Created HAOS VM (haos10.3)

• Starting Home Assistant OS VM…kvm: cannot set up guest memory ‘mach-virt.ram’: Cannot allocate memory
    start failed: QEMU exited with code 1
    :bangbang: ERROR 255@324 Unknown failure occurred.

This error can occur when there is insufficient memory available on the host system to allocate to the virtual machine.

Thanks again - trying to install on a RPi 4 with 4GB. It is a clean install with nothing else added. I read the default is 4GB so will look it I can change that to 2GB.

Is anyone running this successfully? I’m tempted to give it a try but I’d like to have some confidence that it might be worth investing the time.

same problem here:
Creating a HAOS VM using the above advanced settings
✓ Using local for Storage Location.
✓ Virtual Machine ID is 100.
https://github.com/home-assistant/operating-system/releases/download/10.5/haos_generic-aarch64-10.5.qcow2.xz
✓ Downloaded haos_generic-aarch64-10.5.qcow2.xz
✓ Extracted Disk Image
✓ Created HAOS VM (haos10.5)

• Starting Home Assistant OS VM…kvm: cannot set up guest memory ‘mach-virt.ram’: Cannot allocate memory
    start failed: QEMU exited with code 1
    :bangbang: ERROR 255@324 Unknown failure occurred.

Holy Necro I know.
But has anyone solved the “QEMU exited with code 1” issue?

I’ve followed multiple guides but still not coming right.
Even using @tteck script I get “This version of Proxmox Virtual Environment is not supported
Requires PVE7 Version 7.4-13 or later, or PVE8 Version 8.1.1 or later.”

But from what I can find, PiMox stopped support at 7.2-7 (unless I’m missing a new version somewhere)

Sorry about that, function PVE_CHECK() is now fixed.

Hello @tteck, I have used your script to have HAOS running on pimox, and I have tried to do some USB port passthrough for a RCP for my openThread Border Router. Even though I think Iam doing this correctly I can’t seem to make the vm start whenever I do my forwarding. This is the message I get:
kvm: Warning: speed mismatch trying to attach usb device “Thread Co-Processor” (full speed) to bus “ehci.0”, port “3” (high speed)
start failed: command ‘/usr/bin/kvm -id 100 -name ‘haos12.2,debug-threads=on’ -no-shutdown -chardev ‘socket,id=qmp,path=/var/run/qemu-server/100.qmp,server=on,wait=off’ -mon ‘chardev=qmp,mode=control’ -chardev ‘socket,id=qmp-event,path=/var/run/qmeventd.sock,reconnect=5’ -mon ‘chardev=qmp-event,mode=control’ -pidfile /var/run/qemu-server/100.pid -daemonize -smbios ‘type=1,uuid=66e4a2cf-eba5-4a8d-ac44-56bef2a71acf’ -drive ‘if=pflash,unit=0,format=raw,readonly=on,file=/usr/share/pve-edk2-firmware//AAVMF_CODE.fd’ -drive ‘if=pflash,unit=1,format=qcow2,id=drive-efidisk0,file=/var/lib/vz/images/100/vm-100-disk-0.qcow2’ -smp ‘2,sockets=1,cores=2,maxcpus=2’ -nodefaults -boot ‘menu=on,strict=on,reboot-timeout=1000,splash=/usr/share/qemu-server/bootsplash.jpg’ -vnc ‘unix:/var/run/qemu-server/100.vnc,password=on’ -cpu host -m 4096 -device ‘pci-bridge,id=pci.1,chassis_nr=1,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1e’ -device ‘pci-bridge,id=pci.2,chassis_nr=2,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1f’ -device ‘usb-ehci,id=ehci,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x1’ -device ‘usb-tablet,id=tablet,bus=ehci.0,port=1’ -device ‘usb-kbd,id=keyboard,bus=ehci.0,port=2’ -device ‘usb-host,vendorid=0x1915,productid=0x0000,id=usb0’ -device ‘virtio-gpu,id=vga,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x2’ -device ‘virtio-serial,id=spice,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x9’ -chardev ‘spicevmc,id=vdagent,name=vdagent’ -device ‘virtserialport,chardev=vdagent,name=com.redhat.spice.0’ -spice ‘tls-port=61000,addr=127.0.0.1,tls-ciphers=HIGH,seamless-migration=on’ -device ‘virtio-balloon-pci,id=balloon0,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x3,free-page-reporting=on’ -device ‘virtio-scsi-pci,id=scsihw0,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x5’ -drive ‘file=/var/lib/vz/images/100/vm-100-disk-1.qcow2,if=none,id=drive-scsi0,format=qcow2,cache=none,aio=io_uring,detect-zeroes=on’ -device ‘scsi-hd,bus=scsihw0.0,channel=0,scsi-id=0,lun=0,drive=drive-scsi0,id=scsi0,bootindex=100’ -netdev ‘type=tap,id=net0,ifname=tap100i0,script=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridge,downscript=/var/lib/qemu-server/pve-bridgedown,vhost=on’ -device ‘virtio-net-pci,mac=00:60:2F:A3:A5:9A,netdev=net0,bus=pcie.0,addr=0x12,id=net0’ -machine ‘type=virt+pve0’’ failed: got timeout

Does someone have an idea what I can do to solve this ?