HA OS on unRaid!

You can use the UnRaid UI to allocate more (Shut down the HA instance first from supervisor > system > Host card first)

Click on the name of the VM, which expands the details, and then change the capacity and hit enter. When you start the VM again it will recognize the new space.

5 Likes

OMGā€¦ that is the worst UI ever. I had no idea! thanks.

Been running the Beta for a while no problems until I made a reboot. Added more disk. Now its not booting and the VNC says Cleanup of temporary directories and its been running for like 30 mins.

Any idea what that is?

Big problems.

Had to restore my cache drive and therefore I did a new install of hassio with the cqow2 file 4.10.

It installed fine but Iā€™m unable to restore from backup. Itā€™s like it do not restore.

I says reconnecting and I wait like 20 min then the login comes up and I uses my regular login. Wrong nameā€¦ empty cache still the same ā€¦ stop vm and start still canā€™t login.

Tested the dummie login that I used just to access and install samba add on. Then I come in but itā€™s a fresh install. Not the the restored.

Any ideas.

Did run cqow2 version 4.8 before the beta one and it worked.

Kind of panicking that all is lost. I have backups running every night.

Anyone else tried the 4.10 version and made a successfull restore?

For the VM machine type, is there a reason not to choose the latest (Q35-4.2) over what is stated in the instructions in the first post (Q35-2.11)?

The snapshots contain no system data. They are simply archived files consisting of the config directory and the other default shared directories and then each addonā€™s data directory.

You could check the .tar file to confirm what is in there.

No, thatā€™s just what was latest in the list at the time. Iā€™ll edit that.

1 Like

My unraid server is running on Intel Xeon E3-1246v3 3.5ghz CPU with 32GB of RAM.

Right now I have the VM assigned 32GB of vDisk, 2GB of RAM and 1 logical core (cpu 0 / 4):

Iā€™ve noticed that during parity check, the VM slows to a crawl. The HA dashboard will load, but take forever. As soon as parity check is over, things are super quick.

1. Is this a resource issue? Should I be upping my RAM?
  2. The disk image is on the unraid array (/mnt/user/domains/), not on the cache disk. Should I move it?

Yes, move it to the cache disk. Parity check is IO intensive on the array drives but does not affect the cache drive.

Edit: I also see you have pinned a single core to the VM. Iā€™d suggest moving that pin to CPU 3 and also adding the hyperthread for the core (CPU 7). Unraid system processes (parity checks) tend to use CPU 0 more than other cores. So that is another resource overlap that may affect your VM performance. If you still have issues consider pinning Unraid itself to only CPUs 0/4 and 1/5.

1 Like

2048 Mb for Hassos in VM is to less. it should be at least 4048 MB, I also think that one core is to less.

1 Like

2 cores for certain. Iā€™ve seen errors trying to start with 1.

But 2GB of RAM is ok. 4GB is going to be better as more addons are added.

RAM configuration should depend on your setup. Many addons are docker containers. If you are adding those containers within the HASS VM then, yes, you may need more than 2GB. However, all of my containerized addons are installed directly to Unraid and not within the HASS VM. Therefore, those addons donā€™t share the VM memory.

3 Likes

Hi all,

I have a docker in my Unraid that send telegram messages if motioneye rec a video (itā€™s called video2telegram).

Now that I switched from HA in docker to HA in VM I was wondering how can I ā€œlinkā€ the share folder inside my VM to a docker container.

It is possible?

Ty in advance!

Hello
I am trying to get passthough working with unraid + hassio on the vm.
I have set it up to give it a specific port but it wont work unless I connect aotec stick AFTER i start vm, so i basiclly have to do it in this order:

1. start VM without stick
  2. connect the stick
  3. restart homeassistant (docker container inside vm)

and than it works, but it has to be done with each host restarts which is annoying.
It kind of looks like that HassOs locks device in same kind of ā€œinvisible stateā€ if it was connected at startup (if a device is connected at startup - it doesnā€™t show up in hardware info even if i disconnect and connect it again - it cannot be connected at startup)

Do you have any idea why that might be happening?

Did you select the stick in your VM HAssio edit/setup?

Hi.

I have a core update thing in Hassio. From 4.10 to 4.11. Last time i did a core update via Webui i had problems and had to reinstall the vm fresh.

Is it safe and best practice to update the core via hassio webui?

Not really, I have set up passthrough for the usb controller using this method:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UilWLtMYd-U

I have managed to solve the problem, although I am not really sure why it happened.
Anyway, I found some raspberry related content in which, some said that is has to be connected though a hub. In my case:

1. Plugged directly to the usb card - didnā€™t work at all - even using the method described before.
  2. Plugged through usb extender - worked, but only using the above method.
  3. Connected though usb hub - working 100%

I donā€™t really know why it happens - but it works finally :slight_smile:

So I donā€™t know whatā€™s going on. Iā€™ll preface this with I just started using Unraid, and wanted to put HassOS as a VM on it. Iā€™ve got my HA on a Pi, so this seemed like a great upgrade. I was able to install it no problem and accessed it from another computer from its IP:8123. But it kills the rest of my network. All of my wired and wireless devices can no longer access the internet at all or seems each otuer. Did I forget to do something? As soon as I stop my HA VM the network returns.

Were you able to set a static ip / dns for your Unraid server itself and did that change anything?