HA OS on unRaid!

I think 4GB is a lot, personally. Every time you make a snapshot (which you should be doing and have automated), you’re storing 4GB worth of history data. This also makes for slower snapshots and slower restores.

Do you need to know if a light was on 4 months ago? You might if you’re tracking energy or something, so I don’t mean to say that you don’t need it. I just mean you might ask yourself what it is you care about, because then you can determine what you want to store.

I would start a new VM, specifying the disk space from the start, and restoring a snapshot from the old VM to the new one.

No I don’t need to know lights etc.

So I quess the problem was me setting it to 100 gb the qcow2 file from the beginning. I thought more is better so I did have room to grow.

I will start over and make it 40 gb or something.

And also look over the recorder thing.

What sort of CPU usage is everyone seeing for an Home Assistant VM on Unraid? I’m using a Ryzen 2700 and the two cores assigned to the VM are constantly at 85%.

Everything was going swimmingly, and then today:

Not booting anymore. This was after integrating Sonos (maybe coincidental).

Tips?

I would download the latest vm image and restore your latest snapshot.
It doesn’t find what caused it but it is usually the quickest way back to being online.

@tinglis1 - restore the snapshot from?

I use the google drive addon to back them up.
If you don’t do that I would mount the drive on another Linux vm and get it that way.

1 Like

Is anyone able to hibernate the HomeAssistant OS VM on unRAID?

I have the VM Manager in unRAID set to hibernate my VMs on array stop or shutdown, but my HomeAssistant OS VM just ignores the hibernate command (tested with a manual “Hibernate” from VM drop-down menu also) and does nothing, this then causes a timeout in libvirt and an unclean shutdown the VM & unRAID for me.

Should this VM be able to hibernate?

Thanks for any help

Not sure HA OS can hibernate. HA is designed as an appliance so should not have any issue with starting and stopping.

My question would be why do you want it to hibernate?
I would guess that even if you did get it to hibernate it would cause other issues.

Yeah this isn’t like some Linux Desktop Distro which supports or would need hibernation. Just shut it down.

Fair enough.

@tinglis1
It was mainly because unRAID does not allow a per-VM option for hibernation on array-stop or shutdown and my other VMs manage better with hiberation.

Thanks for replies

I am now having a problem that is getting bad.
Running hass in a vm on a qcow2 file. The vdisk is set at 100gb. My ha started throwing errors saying that I was out of space.
Supervisor says that I have 94.5% of used space.
My MariaDB is using 621.5mb of space. I only keep 3 days of data.
How do I fix this. What options do I have?
Any help is most greatly appreciated.

This is likely not unique to it being a VM or using unraid. Do you have a large home assistant.log file?

Thank you @cogneato
My .log file is only 1.0MB and the home-assistant.log.1 is 7.8MB

Hi Tim

Sorry to dig up a old post
Was your coral single or dual TPU you put in the 7060 sff ?

I’m looking to do the same with mine, but single TPU a+e’s are super hard to find

Pretty certain it is a single core. I am only using one anyway.

It is this one
https://www.seeedstudio.com/Coral-M-2-Accelerator-A-E-key-p-4412.html

Thanks

Yup single TPU :frowning:
owell CPU detection it is for now

I think the dual uses an e-key slot which from memory the 7060 wifi slot is also.
The dual core would probably work if that’s the case.
You might need to verify the slot keys though.

Yup according to this link the e-key should work as well

Have ordered a e-key one, worst case ill need a pcie adapter

For anyone else who tries
It will NOT work in the wifi slot, cannot be detected by Linux, but will work in the m slot, with an adapter

1 Like