HA OS on unRaid!

I used this in the wifi slot and it was detected by proxmox and then hassio. Im using a dell optiplex 7450

2 Likes

Are you using the e-key dual tpu, or a a+e key single tpu one ?

Ahh yeh my bad the a+e single

:+1:
That one a few people have now reported as working in the Dell wifi slot, unfortunately its hard to come by
The solution is to use a ssd, and an adapter for the m-key slot

Yes, makes senses. Sorry for the confusion.

Hello - I always had HASSOS as a VM on unraid but with only 32G size vdisk initially and eventually ran out of space in HA. HA is running fine (for now) with a low disk space warning. So, I increased the vdisk size in Unraid to 64G (first screenshot) and it shows as a 64G vdisk but only 32G is allocated still, and in HA and the disk is still full.

For my windows and linux VMā€™s I had to use partition utility tools to resize the partition after increasing the vdisk sizeā€¦ How do I increase allocation in HA - any tools like gparted?

@cogneato I tried this and the allocated space doesnā€™t change (still at 32G) and HA is still showing storage full.

1 Like

Abhi,

Does this article help?

Now that you provided the VM with additional space you will have to extend the volume in the OS of the virtual machine.

Sorry real Unraid noob here.
I feel like I followed the very simple instructions (thanks btw) but I get this on the VNC console:

Settings:

Currently using VMWare Fusion on a Mac, Iā€™ve used VMWare Workstation and lot of ESXi experience.
This oneā€™s a little light on the settings sideā€¦
Thanks for any help.

Make sure youā€™re using the correct bios for your Linux distro.

I havenā€™t thrown up an instance in a while so I did with HA OS 7.5 and it worked fine. I left vDisk Bus as VirtIO and you seem seem to be adding the Share and Mount tag? I left those blank.

1 Like

That worked. Not sure exactly what but something did. Thanks.

This worked for me thanks!

Is this way still the correct way? I am getting:
ā€œunsupported configuration: Emulator ā€˜/usr/local/sbin/qemuā€™ does not support virt type ā€˜kvmā€™ā€

for me it dont worked with the settings in this thread.

i tried ovmf and ovmf tpm bios, sata or virtIO disk busā€¦ nothing changed.

EDIT:

Just recreated this VM with the same settings, now it worksā€¦ what the?? what ever. it works

Keith, Iā€™d really like to know what helped you. My setup looks identical to yours and yet it refuses to boot.

Iā€™m a new user, so I canā€™t add more than one picture to the post, here are the settings for the VM:
CPU mode: Host passthrought
Logical CPUs: cpu 8/24
Initial/Max memory: 2048
Machine: Q35-5.1
BIOS: OVMF (greyed out and unselectable)
USB controller: 2.0
OS Install ISO: blank
Primary vDisk Location: Manual, /mnt/user/domains/Hassio/haos_ova-9.3.qcow2
Primary vDisk Bus: VirtIO (Iā€™ve also tried SATA without luck)
Unraid share: blank
Unraid Mount tag: blank
Graphics card: VNC
VNC video driver: QXL (best)
ā€¦ I donā€™t think any of the others matter for this issue.

Someone help? I saw in a thread under a Youtube video where someone mentions, in XML, changing a node driver name from QEMU to QCOW2, but that broke it worse.

Okay, found the solution to my own problem. I mentioned the thread in a Youtube video - I finally deciphered what was meant.

Screenshot 2022-11-19 180642

In the driver line, type, by default, is ā€œrawā€. I changed that to ā€˜qcow2ā€™. This fixed my issue and now the VM boots immediately.

4 Likes

Thank you! This post saved me and I wanted to add a few more details for anyone else that runs across it:

Some backstory:
For me this started after I shutdown the VM and changed the disk location from /mnt/user/appdata/vm/ha.qcow2 to /mnt/cache/appdata/vm/ha.qcow2. Note that to unraid this is technically the exact same location (assuming you have an appdata sahre on your cache drive, the only reason I changed it from ./user/ to ./cache/ was to make sure I didnā€™t run in to issues with JTok/unraid-vmbackup. It says you must use /mnt/cache/ or /mnt/diskX/ for snapshots to work so I made the change. Againā€¦ to unraid that should be the exact same location.

Anyways, after starting the VM back up I was in the exact same state as yours. I was able to fix it by:

1. Go to Unraid > VMs > Click the icon next to Home Assistant and select Force Stop (normal Stop wasnā€™t wroking)
  2. Click the icon again and click Edit
  3. In the top right you need to toggle from Form View to XML View
  4. Now youā€™ll see what @Graybeardtech has in his screenshot above. Just look for <driver name='qemu' type='raw' cache='writeback'/> and change raw to qcow2.
  5. Go back / save and start your VM. Should be all set now!

Note that recreating the VM and reusing the disk image as others mentioned would likely have fixed this too. But this was super easy and worked great.

4 Likes

IĀ“m using VM under Unraid for a long time. I now want to use a new qcow for a fresh start.
I did download a new ova qcow file unzipped it and did add that in my VM.
It is the same VM I already used
But it wonĀ“t start up In the VNC console it says:

What Am I doing wrong?

Sorry. I do see the solution one message above

i get the same thing, were you able to fix it?