HA + pi + 7"touchscreen, HAdashboard, is it possible?

I want my pi running all of that. is it possible with rasbian and its desktop? I have been trying a lot of stuf, but i can not get it work… (i also tried openhabian, but there i didnt get it work at all)
I manage to get HA running, and show me the ugly original web interface, but i want to have it more beutifyl like HAdashbord running och my pi. As a wall mounted google calendar, survilence camera, home alarm etc.

But it so hard to get it work! It is not user friendly at all. Every install is not smooth, i have to do workarounds to get things to work (ex. HA services to running)

Isnt there a smooth way to install this Home automation?

I guess you haven’t looked at Lovelace? The default web interface can be whatever you want it to be with Lovelace. Lovelace is the “ugly original web interface”, yet it’s completely customizable.

What’s so hard about it?

Have you thought about running hassio on Raspbian?

You’re going to have to elaborate. It’s pretty damn easy to install Home Assistant.

I havent test lovelace, tried so har to get HAdashboard to work
this is what i think is ugly: (https://community-assets.home-assistant.io/original/2X/a/a88cdc6e51cfb2fe11c955f34841e1f6b5e6b263.png) https://community-assets.home-assistant.io/original/2X/a/a88cdc6e51cfb2fe11c955f34841e1f6b5e6b263.png

Hard to get it work as the same answer as the smooth way to install: I follow the instruktions (there are different, i tried them all) and get HA to roll. As i said… i had to google problems and had to walkaround to get it run.

Hassio on raspbian? isnt it a clean installation with an img file?

There are plenty of ways to customize Lovelace with the built-in and custom cards to make it look really nice. But that is something you should focus on later since you seem to have trouble with installing Home Assistant.

You can follow this guide by @kanga_who to install Hassio on Raspbian. If you have issues following this guide, then you may have trouble using Home Assistant for a long time…

1 Like

There are multiple ways of installing hassio, please read the documentation on INSTALLATION.

I have no problem following guides. I have problem of instabillity, crashes, error codes when following guides.
I have followed that guide now. It looked promising at first, but now the pi crashed and wont boot anymor, i need to flash that SD again.
It was after this step:
curl -sL “https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/hassio-installer/master/hassio_install.sh” | bash -s – -m raspberrypi3
And linstalling docker didnt get very smooth either…
Lets start over again…
RPi 3 B+
16gb SD Class 10
Tried different power supplies, and now i am using a power supplie for rpi…

In answer to your original question, yes it is possible.

Install raspbian desktop.
Install home assistant under one of the many methods available
Configure your sensors, automations etc.
install appdaemon
Write some hadashboard dashboards
Point the browser in raspbian to localhost:5050

Good luck with it looking prettier than lovelace, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

1 Like

First halt:

Created symlink /etc/systemd/system/multi-user.target.wants/NetworkManager.service → /lib/systemd/system/NetworkManager.service.
Ställer in libmbim-proxy (1.18.0-1) …
Ställer in apparmor-utils (2.13.2-10) …

And at that point it haltet… I have waitet over 1 hour. Restarting the pi and trying again…

edit: after this my pi choses to go for a different ip…
I configuerd my router to give my PI 192.XXX.XXX.50. But after this halt, the IP in my PI changer to another MAC-address, and therfore another IP
I think THAT is strange!!!

You do realize that it’s perfectly OK to display your LAN IP? We can’t get to your LAN IP…it’s a non routeable address.

It is strange, but it doesn’t matter, as long as you can find it.

unless i havent make any mistake with my port forwarding etc…

Yeah… now i have a several different MAC-adresses…

Hassio is now up and running… after a couple of tries…
Its looking promising. And it looks a little different when I tried last time, then i had a bounch of lines in configiration.yamal etc…

Look I can tell English is not your fist language, but you have to learn that typing configuration lines requires precision. If you can’t copy simple text, it is never going to work. Your thread is full of typos, and if what you are putting into your home assistant instance follow suit, then it is unsurprising that you may have problems.

raspbian not rasbian
configuration.yaml not configiration.yamal

and those are just a couple. The other stuff (haltet instead of halted etc etc etc) just makes it hard to read your posts and therefore to help you.

So help us to help you. Another example:

What were you doing when that error occurred? Was this trying to install hassio via hassos? or hassio over raspbian?