HA Python versions and updating

Hi All

I’m trying to roll my prototype windows based HA server over to a dedicated linux instance and I’ve encountered two issues:

1. Strictly speaking, which major and minor version of python does HA and it’s modules require? It seems to run on 3.5 but is that totally sufficient? I suspect we should be running 3.6.

2. I’ve been experimenting with ubuntu and debian. Can someone please give me a definitive guide as to how to install an isolated python 3.6 environment on these OS’s? Apt-get doesn’t seems to lock people to older versions. Thanks.

I’m running 3.4.2 with no issues. There’s a good thread on pros/cons of 3.6 here; keep in mind not everything is fully supported, especially in the third party ecosystem with things like AppDaemon or HADashboard.

Not sure but this may have been mentioned in the thread above - I seem to remember it but could be wrong. If not, it would be a good place to ask.

1 Like

For Windows we require at least Python 3.5 and for other operating systems at least Python 3.4.2.

Debian is used as a reference for the Python release.

3 Likes

Thank you both. That answers my questions very well.

So to summarize

The core HA should run fine on whatever ships with your favorite debian fork (ubuntu, raspbian etc) (which is around 3.4/3.5 at time of writing).

3.6 will work but doesn’t seem to be required just yet and involves building from source - because none of the built in package managers seem to want to touch the 3.x install in-situ that comes with the OS (or even provide you a separate installed package easily).

FYI I was running HA under windows to experiment with but the writing was on the wall when I started seeing module writers like xiaomi, lifx etc stating there were issues they couldn’t support under windows I decided it was time to switch to a vagrant machine.

The wheels just came off when I couldn’t simply get python 3.6 by going apt-get update python3 or python3.6.

The other thread is very useful, thanks, I’m still getting used to discourse, much more used to vBulletin.

Thanks for your help!.

For anyone searching, this is outdated already.

Shoulda built my damn box with a newer version :stuck_out_tongue: