HA server in different vlan than all iOT devices

Hi,

Recently I moved all my Smart devices like Xiaomi gateway, yeelight bulbs and led strips etc. to separate vlan on my network to increase the security in my home network.
So in vlan 192.168.1.xx I have my hassio in docker
In another vlan 192.168.180.xxx I have all my IoT devices. Before vlan change everything was working just fine.

Now i’m struggling with some issues and hope that you can help me.

• My xiaomi gateway is visible in HA after changing configuration to below:
    xiaomi_aqara:
    discovery_retry: 5
    gateways:

• host: 192.168.xxx.xx
      mac: xxxxxxxxxx
      key: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
      Once or twice per day it’s disappear from HA and it’s back after reboot of HA again for half of the day.
  • All my Yeelight bulbs are still unavailable, I have them correctly configured in HA I believe:
    yeelight:
    devices:
    192.168.180.xx:
    name: biurko LED
    devices:
    192.168.180.xx:
    name: lampa stojaca
    devices:
    192.168.180.xx:
    name: Lampka na biurku
    devices:
    192.168.180.xx:
    name: Led’y kuchnia

• Xiaomi air purifier is also configured but not visible in HA

It’s configured like this:
fan:

• platform: xiaomi_miio
    host: 192.168.180.xx
    token: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    name: oczyszczacz powietrza
    And last but not least it’s my Philips for xiaomi bulb configured like this:
    light:
  • platform: xiaomi_miio
    name: Światło toaleta
    host: 192.168.180.xx
    token: xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
    model: philips.light.bulb

Everything is configured on EdgeRouterX with Ubiquity access point.
I believe that most of firewall rules are set correctly but maybe there is a port or service is missing in my config?

Any ideas how to make it work together?

I would disable all firewall rules related to these vlans and then test one by one. Is mDNS enabled in your router?

Yeap, I believe so.
mdns
It’s added in config tree switch0.180 it’s my IoT network.

I don’t have an EdgeRouter, only a USG. Maybe you need to add switch0.168 as well.
Maybe this topic helps

I believe that with USG it would be much more simpler but I like challenges :wink:
Do you have in your config also separated network for IoT and rules set on firewall?

Thoes should be that same than.

I just switched from a “dumb” flat network to all Ubiquiti about two weeks ago, so I’m still setting things up. I started adding rule by rule and I enabled firewall logging for the rule. This way when something stopped working I checked the log to find port and device and then I added a firewall rule to enable this port/device.
I have one rule to allow all established and related sessions, so that devices can communicate if the session was initialized by the other party.
-> LAN_In: Allow all established and related sessions
I have a VLAN for the server, which runs Home Assistant, MQTT etc.
Another VLAN for IoT devices, which should not have access to the internet or to any other VLAN, but should be able to publish messages to the MQTT server.
-> LAN_IN: Allow access from VLAN to server for the ports 1883/8883 (MQTT ports)
-> WAN_OUT: Block access to Internet
-> LAN_IN: Block access to other VLANs
I have another VLAN for entertainment devices like AV-Receivers, Kodi Box etc., which should be allowed to go to the internet for spotify etc. but blocked from accessing other VLANs
-> LAN_IN: Block access to other VLANs
And so on.

1 Like

Thanks a lot for your advice. I just realised that with USG it will be simpler :wink:
So I just ordered USG instead of EdgeRouter which I will back to local store.

I will look how it will be working with USG next week.
Big thanks
Michał

I agree it’s pretty easy with the USG, because you can do a lot of things through the GUI, however I think the EdgeRouter allows more advanced config, and some of them are more powerful, all depending on your needs.

True, but I will have two of them and than I will decide. I still believe that what I want to accomplished is not a rocket science :wink: Second advantage is to have both USG and AP managed on that same tools I mean Unify controller. All changes are propagate to all connected unify devices and so one.

We will see. Hope that this change will be it plus only.

1 Like