HA should manipulate config.yaml file through interface

I really wish that HA would poke around the config files from the interface this would make things much simpler for advanced users …

It would be nice for example to create a single input number in the interface and then be able to copy and past it (with a few changes) in the config file…
I have solar panels and want to create 3x sensors for each one… I have > 20 panels.
So this would mean creating 20 helpers that can either:

• NOT be managed through the interface (if I set them up in the config)
  • OR creating everything through the interface that will take hours

There also seems to be quite a bit of “hiding” of stuff through the interface - for e.g you cannot change or even see Riemann sensor settings after they have been created!

Also I do wonder the reasoning behind having 2 different sets of settings for the same types of sensors.

See: The future of YAML - Home Assistant

I read through all of that and still do not know why they needed to create a second set of settings - and it couldn’t just have manipulated the config.yaml when they initially did it… Which is also what I initially meant.

YAML existed first. Then UI configuration was introduced to improve user experience, and to make Home Assistant more accessible particularly for non technical users.

There were also security enhancements that came with UI configuration.

YAML was retained (in certain cases) for advanced uses and people who prefer it.

So we have the best of both.

Screenshot 2024-06-26 at 16-41-22 The future of YAML - Home Assistant

I’m not sure why you would need to “manage” a helper in the UI after it has been created.

But in case I’m missing a use case then I would think it’s just as easy (if not easier) to manage them via yaml for the same reason it was easier to create them in yaml in the first place. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

I have no issue with GUI setups if it is done right, but there are many times I would have prefered an YAML setup over GUI, because it was inferior.
Often the GUI setup is working the first time, but if you want to change settings, then some options is missing.
It is annoying trying to set up an integration and then get it wrong due to a misunderstood setting just to realize that you then have to delete the integration and start over, which is not user-friendly.
Having a running system and then have an external service switch port and you discover that you then have to delete the integration and 30+ devices to make that change is directly user-unfriendly.
An YAML setup would provide the settings as text and prevent those setting in being forgotten/hidden.

2 Likes