HA stops work every Monday

What is your network setup? Looks like you have at least three VLANs (or two, with very large subnets).

When things go offline, I always suspect network issues: duplicate IP address allocation, bad routing etc.

192.168.178 is my home network indeed. Iā€™m not having any VLANs (AFAIK) and to be honest I do not even know what that exactly are, nor do I exactly know what subnets are. It seems to me that the 172. addresses are some kind home assistant internal addresses. Iā€™m quite sure I have no duplicate IP address allocations.

Last Monday and Tuesday were really bad. Home assistant crashed after 1 or 2 hours of operation every time. Tuesday evening I did a fresh re-install on a brand new SD card and restored my snapshot of Sunday evening. Within one hour it crashed again, but after a restart is has been running stable so far. Iā€™m curious what will happen Monday morning.

It crashed again last night :frowning_face:
@Harmpert, Thanks for your list of hardware, integrations and add-ons. The Items you have and I also have are: raspberry PI 3B, HACS, Mobile App(both android and iOS in my case), Philips HUE, DuckDNS, file editor, Samba share, terminal & SSH

@Plevuus, Indeed, mine crashed again last night too. Itā€™s behavior is at least predictable.

@DomJo, Did you have any new insights?

@captain_daveman, any similarity in your setup compared to mine or Plevuus?

Another Monday crash for me too, this time slightly earlier than usual. The last log/history entries I can see are for 00:10 (usually itā€™s more like 01:30).
In terms of what Iā€™ve got installed in common with Plevuus above, itā€™s a Pi 3B, HACS, Mobile App, file editor, Samba and SSH.
For my network, I have an Asus modem/router (I mention this as the issues started happening at about the same time I bought it.) Iā€™ve not setup up any VLANs or special subnets (just using standard 255.255.255.0)

I struggle to believe that any of the above are causing the issue otherwise thereā€™s be a lot more people complaining!

Just crashed again too - probably something corrupted due to having to pull the plug this morning.

Iā€™ve changed the system in the meantime and now use OH3. For me, home automation has to run reliably and not stop every week. But I still read with interest because I think HA is very nice

1 Like

homeassistant stop again, it works but it is not accessible in supervisor all addons stop working, hacs not accessible but addons frontend working

Yep, Mine also crashed again last night. There was no useful info from the log. This time HA frontend was still available and even the history graphs were showing (latest update 2:38 am). Supervisor page was not working and also SSL and Samba were down.
Last week I did some improvements in the network setup (port forwarding, removal of depreciated base_url from configuration.yaml), switched for the general setup (location, time-zone, URL, etc) from configuration.yaml to UI and made some other improvements in configuration.yaml, so that no configuration related warnings showed up in the log anymore. It didnā€™t solve the issue.

@Plevuus @nelsonamen ,mine crashed last night too, last update around 1:52 AM.

@tom_l, would you have any suggestions on this? Might there be an addon/integration that is doing someting for the week startup/cleanup of the last week?
We can rule out the automations, I donā€™t have one running at that time,
We do not have the same routers (mine is a fritz!box 7590).

@tom_l, question to you as a moderator. Would it make sense to officially report this issue?
Multiple users have this issue and it seems weā€™ve done what we can do ourselves. At least I did.

The only option I see left for myself is to start again from scratch with a new installation and slowly week by week build up my system again and notice when the issue re-occurs. By doing it like that it will take weeks and quite likely it will not re-occur at all. In that case the other users will still be stuck with this issue.

@Plevuus
I donā€™t think, an issue would do good at this time. Your (all of you) error isnā€™t specific enough, nor described enough. :slight_smile:

Letā€™s try it in a different way, good old support and error finding. :smiley: If we cn pinpoint the issue, that would be the time to post an issue at github. :slight_smile:

So letā€™s get to work and find something. :slight_smile:

These are questions to all of you, who have that problem:

• what system are you running? (HassOS, python venv, supervised install) In short, how did you install HA?
  • what is the exact hardware you are running? Pi4 with 2GB? Pi 3B+? Please donā€™t forget to mention all things apart from the standard, eg. are you using an SSD or the microSD?
  • if youā€™re running a Pi, what power source are you using? We need the values here like Volt and Ampere from the power source.
  • are there any outside things that could cause this? Maybe the cat laying on your Pi every Monday? :wink:
  • Can someone provide a somewhat exact timeline of the issue? What I can see here, it seems not always to be the exact same time, but the better one of you could tell, when this happens, the easier we can find something.
  • Router could be an issue, so please provide the model. I personally donā€™t think it is, so this not a necessary information.

Just to note: Iā€™m not a developer of HA, I canā€™t guarantee any solutions, but Iā€™ll try my best, maybe someone steps in if we can narrow things down. :slight_smile: So no guarantees! :wink:

And last but not least, my guess goes straight to some OS level things that are done automatically. Monday morning is kind of a good date for any tasks you would like to run on a weekly basis. :slight_smile:

So letā€™s see where we are getting at with this, seems interesting to find out. :slight_smile:

1 Like

I already opened an issue HA stops work every Monday Ā· Issue #47928 Ā· home-assistant/core (github.com)

What installation of HASS do you have?
(OS, Core, Docker etc)

What type of installation are you running?
Home Assistant OS

Then I canā€™t help youā€¦ Sorry, my thoughts were that something with crontab could be wrong :frowning:

@tom_l is on a boat somewhere in the ocean atm and wonā€™t be back for a few months. As for that issue, itā€™s lacking any information, the likely hood of anything comming out of that is low. Please follow through with @paddy0174ā€™s questions and use that information in the issue.

2 Likes

Is there a way where i can simulate sunday 00:00ā€¦ Change the clock and day

Not using hassOS.

If HA is still running but the frontend is accessable, why donā€™t you just create an automation that reboots or restarts the systemā€¦

- alias: Reboot Once A Week at 2am
  trigger:
    - platform: time
      at: '2:00:00'
  condition:
    - condition: time
      weekday:
        - mon
  action:
    - service: notify.xyz
      data:
    - service: hassio.host_reboot

Sorry to step in here, @petro, but that is just a band aid, not a solution. :wink: :slight_smile:

If people here are interested in solving the problem, I refer to my previous post. We need to debug this, but as I can see, interest seems not overwhelming, as we now have eight replies and not one question is answeredā€¦ :slight_smile: