HA stops working after some hours

Hello :slight_smile:
I hope someone can help me with that, because I am at the end of my knowledge.

First up:
My Home Assistant Instance runs on a Raspberry Pi4 4GB via USB to Sata SSD.
It runs now since 1 1/2 years.

So here is my problem:

• The Observer URL is down.
  • All Home Assistant addons are not available anymore. Z2M, uptime-kuma, file editor etc…
  • Some parts of settings and other parts of the UI are not available anymore. - shows an error
  • Some integrations stop working completely.
  • I cant reboot the SYSTEM anymore the button to do that is no longer shown.
  • When i hook the raspberry hdmi to a monitor it is not sending a video signal anymore.

Here is what I tried to solve it:

• Cut the power and start HA again. – this works again for a couple of hours
  • Reboot every day at 4 am – was not rly helping
  • Looked into the Logs from HA Core and Supervisor for last boot. – could not find anything that allways shows up when the error appears
  • Repaired the supervisor “ha supervisor repair” – nothing changed
  • looked into the journalctl – cannot find anything suspicious
  • Disabled the bluetooth adapter via bluetoothctl → power of – nothing changed

My main problem is that I do not even have a single reference point and I do not know where to look anymore.

I hope someone can help me…
Thanks in advance!! :slight_smile:

you could try to run “ha os update , ha core update, ha supervisor update” , and show “the error”
And make sure your power-supply is sufficient for the peripherals such as the SSD

What about prior to the “errors”, And is there ANY Errors in the logs ( which you don’t find relevant to show/tell ) ?

I noticed that you haven’t tried the most common reason for your problem. Get a bigger PSU.

Everything is up to date.

I also thought it could be the PSU but it worked now for 1 1/2 years without any issues. The CPU Usage, RAM Usage did not increase by any means.
Here is my CPU Usage and temp while it stops working.

The Errors I get are usually allways the same.
This is what happend right befor it became unresponsive.

2024-03-03 03:30:08.352 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.util.logging] Exception in state_received when handling msg on 'awox-ble-mesh-hub/group-32768/state': 'ON'
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/mqtt/debug_info.py", line 43, in wrapper
    msg_callback(msg)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/mqtt/mixins.py", line 483, in wrapper
    msg_callback(msg)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/mqtt/light/schema_json.py", line 346, in state_received
    values = json_loads_object(msg.payload)
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/util/json.py", line 61, in json_loads_object
    value: JsonValueType = json_loads(__obj)
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/util/json.py", line 47, in json_loads
    return orjson.loads(__obj)  # type:ignore[no-any-return]
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
orjson.JSONDecodeError: unexpected character: line 1 column 1 (char 0)

2024-03-03 03:35:07.374 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.util.logging] Exception in state_received when handling msg on 'awox-ble-mesh-hub/group-32768/state': 'ON'
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/mqtt/debug_info.py", line 43, in wrapper
    msg_callback(msg)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/mqtt/mixins.py", line 483, in wrapper
    msg_callback(msg)
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/mqtt/light/schema_json.py", line 346, in state_received
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/util/json.py", line 61, in json_loads_object
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/util/json.py", line 47, in json_loads
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

2024-03-03 03:40:07.699 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.util.logging] Exception in state_received when handling msg on 'awox-ble-mesh-hub/group-32768/state': 'ON'
    msg_callback(msg)
    msg_callback(msg)
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

2024-03-03 03:45:07.533 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.util.logging] Exception in state_received when handling msg on 'awox-ble-mesh-hub/group-32768/state': 'ON'
    msg_callback(msg)
    msg_callback(msg)
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

2024-03-03 03:50:07.458 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.util.logging] Exception in state_received when handling msg on 'awox-ble-mesh-hub/group-32768/state': 'ON'
    msg_callback(msg)
    msg_callback(msg)
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

2024-03-03 03:55:08.111 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.util.logging] Exception in state_received when handling msg on 'awox-ble-mesh-hub/group-32768/state': 'ON'
    msg_callback(msg)
    msg_callback(msg)
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

2024-03-03 04:00:08.288 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.util.logging] Exception in state_received when handling msg on 'awox-ble-mesh-hub/group-32768/state': 'ON'
    msg_callback(msg)
    msg_callback(msg)
                           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

For context this is from my ESP32 that connects via bluetooth to my AWOX lights and sends them to HA via MQTT.

Okay i will try. Can you tell me what specs the PSU should have? I think more Amps? but how much?
I have never thought of this because it ran now for 1 1/2 years without a problem. Also the load did not increase in the last few weeks. But maybe it broke over the time.

They do wear out.

You can use the Raspberry Pi Power Supply Checker integration to check your power supply.

All power supplies lose efficiency over time. The Wall Wart USP supplies are barely adequate to power a Raspberry Pi, so yes after a couple of years it’s available power could drop below the functional needs of the Raspberry.

What size should you get? You can never have too many amps. I am running a server on a Raspberry Pi3 with a 5 Amp PSU. It’s been running for a few years.

Good point. I allready have that since i set up my RPI because it was detected by HA itself. But it only shows OK since then.

Oh ok did not know that they degrade that fast. I will buy one with more Amps and report back.
Thanks!

Please do. Others watching this thread would benefit.

1 Like

You need a 3A 5V PSU for the Raspberry Pi 4.
The Raspberry can not draw more amperes than the 3A, but a PSU is more unstable the closer you get to its max output.
That means a good brand PSU can be one rated to 3A, but a less brand PSU rated to 5A might be just as stable at 3A as the good brand one.

2 Likes

Nearly forgot to report back…

HAOS gave me finally an output after it crashed. Not just a black screen.
There was a lot of journal and ext4-fs Errors.

I was close to take a backup and restore it onto a new hard drive(SSD).

But for some reason the problem is gone since it showed me those errors.
I have not swapped the PSU also have not swapped any hardware and there was no supervisor update or any update at that time.
It must be something that fixed it for me, but I can’t tell what.

Conclusion: I do not know what that was. I also do not know how I fixed it.
But it is solved…