Ha supervised installation on pi4 (arm64) not working

hi,

im have installed debian 12 on my pi4 (arm64) and wanted to install HA Superviced on it via docker container. docker is installed and running. but how do i install HA now? i had this documentation but there is a x86_64.deb file mentioned.

i have downloaded the arm64.tar.gz but this i cannot install via dpkg.

please help.

That is not supported, only Debian 11 - aka Bullseye - is supported by the supervised install method.

Failing to read and follow the requirements will lead to problems.

2 Likes

By following the correct guide :wink:

If you:

• Are a tinkerer
  • Know about Linux
  • Know about docker
  • Are able to support yourself

The old installer script can be retrieved from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/supervised-installer/3717667ff1e544b9660d3a6ab7e9b29f8b33a049/installer.sh

That should guide you on how to install Supervised on about any Linux, with the caveat that it will flagged as “unsupported”. As implied, completely unsupported, so you’ll be on your own, though…

And if you follow that advice, expect to have problems in the future. It’s unsupported for a reason - the reason being that stuff will break.

Sadly nearly everybody who uses this method isn’t able to support themselves. They also don’t read any of the warnings, or the requirements, and dig themselves a deep hole. People continuing to recommend it are just setting up more people for failure.

ok, that worked better but now i stuck here:

Setting up homeassistant-supervised (1.0.2) ...
[info] Restarting NetworkManager
[info] Restarting docker service
ping: version.home-assistant.io: Temporary failure in name resolution
[info] Waiting for version.home-assistant.io - network interface might be down...
[info] Waiting for version.home-assistant.io - network interface might be down...
PING version.home-assistant.io (172.67.68.90) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 172.67.68.90 (172.67.68.90): icmp_seq=1 ttl=58 time=13.2 ms

--- version.home-assistant.io ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 13.163/13.163/13.163/0.000 ms
[info] Install supervisor Docker container
Error response from daemon: Get "https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/": dial tcp: lookup registry-1.docker.io on [::1]:53: read udp [::1]:58098->[::1]:53: read: connection refused
dpkg: error processing package homeassistant-supervised (--install):
 installed homeassistant-supervised package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 homeassistant-supervised

I didn’t “advised” nor “recommended” anything. I’m merely exposing options.

I’m of the kind that doesn’t believe in “hiding under the carpet” policies.
As most things in life, you should have options, then take responsibility of the path you choose…

Recommending a supported installation method is a bad idea?

Debian 12 is not supported, so whatever method is used, this will still be an unsupported installation.

I understand that, hence linking to a Debian 11 guide.

I don’t think that’s what he was getting at, perhaps I’m reading too much into the comment.

I definitely don’t think the comment was aimed at you :wink:

My suspicions around the seemingly ever increasing push to remove the Supervised installation method clouds my views.

Supervised is so restrictive in its requirements and so greedy about having full control that I wonder what’s the point above HassOS, really…

But yeah, unpopular opinion, :smiley:

any has an idea what wrong here:

Setting up homeassistant-supervised (1.0.2) ...
[info] Restarting NetworkManager
[info] Restarting docker service
PING version.home-assistant.io (172.67.68.90) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 172.67.68.90 (172.67.68.90): icmp_seq=1 ttl=58 time=13.2 ms

--- version.home-assistant.io ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 13.163/13.163/13.163/0.000 ms
[info] Install supervisor Docker container
Error response from daemon: Get "https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/": dial tcp: lookup registry-1.docker.io on [::1]:53: read udp [::1]:58098->[::1]:53: read: connection refused
dpkg: error processing package homeassistant-supervised (--install):
 installed homeassistant-supervised package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 homeassistant-supervised

after some changes in dns settings i get now this error:

Error response from daemon: Head "https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/homeassistant/aarch64-hassio-supervisor/manifests/2021.12.2": Get "https://auth.docker.io/token?scope=repository%3Ahomeassistant%2Faarch64-hassio-supervisor%3Apull&service=registry.docker.io": dial tcp: lookup auth.docker.io on [::1]:53: read udp [::1]:42018->[::1]:53: read: connection refused

hi again, ok perhaps we should start from beginning :frowning:

after installing debian 11 on my pi4. how do i set up wifi? i think i have to do this via networkmanager because when i just edit my /etc/network/interfaces.d/wlan0 i have wifi as long as i install networkmanager, then its not longer working. but networkmanager is needed for home assistant as described in this documentation:

so, how do i set up wifi the correct way?

Running your home automation sever via WiFi isn’t a great solution, so it’s not covered in the guide. You may be better of installing HA OS via the official documentation.

i need wifi for my localtuya devices

Let’s start from the beginning, indeed.
Why exactly do you want Supervised rather than HassOS, which will take care of your networking, including Wifi?

That’s assuming you cannot use an ethernet cable, because having localtuya on Wifi is not relevant as long as you have a simple LAN (no VLAN)

Personally I’d like that to happen. The vast majority of people who run it don’t have the skills to do so, and ignore all the requirements. They get suckered in by videos/blog posts/other posts where people claim it’s the “best” path.

Then they end up here, on Discord, or elsewhere crying out for help because they’ve got a broken install and don’t understand why. Upon being told that their setup isn’t supported they get angry.

Yes, if you have the skills and clue then this is a viable option. Sadly you’re in the 0.1% :wink:

1 Like