Ha supervised installation on pi4 (arm64) not working

By following the correct guide :wink:

If you:

• Are a tinkerer
  • Know about Linux
  • Know about docker
  • Are able to support yourself

The old installer script can be retrieved from https://raw.githubusercontent.com/home-assistant/supervised-installer/3717667ff1e544b9660d3a6ab7e9b29f8b33a049/installer.sh

That should guide you on how to install Supervised on about any Linux, with the caveat that it will flagged as ā€œunsupportedā€. As implied, completely unsupported, so youā€™ll be on your own, thoughā€¦

And if you follow that advice, expect to have problems in the future. Itā€™s unsupported for a reason - the reason being that stuff will break.

Sadly nearly everybody who uses this method isnā€™t able to support themselves. They also donā€™t read any of the warnings, or the requirements, and dig themselves a deep hole. People continuing to recommend it are just setting up more people for failure.

ok, that worked better but now i stuck here:

Setting up homeassistant-supervised (1.0.2) ...
[info] Restarting NetworkManager
[info] Restarting docker service
ping: version.home-assistant.io: Temporary failure in name resolution
[info] Waiting for version.home-assistant.io - network interface might be down...
[info] Waiting for version.home-assistant.io - network interface might be down...
PING version.home-assistant.io (172.67.68.90) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 172.67.68.90 (172.67.68.90): icmp_seq=1 ttl=58 time=13.2 ms

--- version.home-assistant.io ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 13.163/13.163/13.163/0.000 ms
[info] Install supervisor Docker container
Error response from daemon: Get "https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/": dial tcp: lookup registry-1.docker.io on [::1]:53: read udp [::1]:58098->[::1]:53: read: connection refused
dpkg: error processing package homeassistant-supervised (--install):
 installed homeassistant-supervised package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 homeassistant-supervised

I didnā€™t ā€œadvisedā€ nor ā€œrecommendedā€ anything. Iā€™m merely exposing options.

Iā€™m of the kind that doesnā€™t believe in ā€œhiding under the carpetā€ policies.
As most things in life, you should have options, then take responsibility of the path you chooseā€¦

Recommending a supported installation method is a bad idea?

Debian 12 is not supported, so whatever method is used, this will still be an unsupported installation.

I understand that, hence linking to a Debian 11 guide.

I donā€™t think thatā€™s what he was getting at, perhaps Iā€™m reading too much into the comment.

I definitely donā€™t think the comment was aimed at you :wink:

My suspicions around the seemingly ever increasing push to remove the Supervised installation method clouds my views.

Supervised is so restrictive in its requirements and so greedy about having full control that I wonder whatā€™s the point above HassOS, reallyā€¦

But yeah, unpopular opinion, :smiley:

any has an idea what wrong here:

Setting up homeassistant-supervised (1.0.2) ...
[info] Restarting NetworkManager
[info] Restarting docker service
PING version.home-assistant.io (172.67.68.90) 56(84) bytes of data.
64 bytes from 172.67.68.90 (172.67.68.90): icmp_seq=1 ttl=58 time=13.2 ms

--- version.home-assistant.io ping statistics ---
1 packets transmitted, 1 received, 0% packet loss, time 0ms
rtt min/avg/max/mdev = 13.163/13.163/13.163/0.000 ms
[info] Install supervisor Docker container
Error response from daemon: Get "https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/": dial tcp: lookup registry-1.docker.io on [::1]:53: read udp [::1]:58098->[::1]:53: read: connection refused
dpkg: error processing package homeassistant-supervised (--install):
 installed homeassistant-supervised package post-installation script subprocess returned error exit status 1
Errors were encountered while processing:
 homeassistant-supervised

after some changes in dns settings i get now this error:

Error response from daemon: Head "https://registry-1.docker.io/v2/homeassistant/aarch64-hassio-supervisor/manifests/2021.12.2": Get "https://auth.docker.io/token?scope=repository%3Ahomeassistant%2Faarch64-hassio-supervisor%3Apull&service=registry.docker.io": dial tcp: lookup auth.docker.io on [::1]:53: read udp [::1]:42018->[::1]:53: read: connection refused

hi again, ok perhaps we should start from beginning :frowning:

after installing debian 11 on my pi4. how do i set up wifi? i think i have to do this via networkmanager because when i just edit my /etc/network/interfaces.d/wlan0 i have wifi as long as i install networkmanager, then its not longer working. but networkmanager is needed for home assistant as described in this documentation:

so, how do i set up wifi the correct way?

Running your home automation sever via WiFi isnā€™t a great solution, so itā€™s not covered in the guide. You may be better of installing HA OS via the official documentation.

i need wifi for my localtuya devices

Letā€™s start from the beginning, indeed.
Why exactly do you want Supervised rather than HassOS, which will take care of your networking, including Wifi?

Thatā€™s assuming you cannot use an ethernet cable, because having localtuya on Wifi is not relevant as long as you have a simple LAN (no VLAN)

Personally Iā€™d like that to happen. The vast majority of people who run it donā€™t have the skills to do so, and ignore all the requirements. They get suckered in by videos/blog posts/other posts where people claim itā€™s the ā€œbestā€ path.

Then they end up here, on Discord, or elsewhere crying out for help because theyā€™ve got a broken install and donā€™t understand why. Upon being told that their setup isnā€™t supported they get angry.

Yes, if you have the skills and clue then this is a viable option. Sadly youā€™re in the 0.1% :wink:

1 Like

Iā€™ve run Supervised (/hass.io) for years in various locations and on a variety of machine types. It used to be the case that I could, and did, run any number of additional pieces of software, Docker containers and so on - the system worked, it didnā€™t break, I could update it, no silly messages telling me Iā€™m being naughty for installing additional software.

The move towards making it almost impossible for a user to operate a Supervised system without these rediculous messages and being able to have control over their system is very obviously an attempt to get people off Supervised and onto something else, therefore dropping the reported users of Supervised and making it easier to remove it as an option. Last I checked, Supervised users had dropped from about 15% a few months ago to under 10%.

That being said, the compatibility of HA OS is now far better and in almost all cases a better option for new users who have an old PC or laptop knocking around they can use, so I donā€™t disagree with you.

hi,

i got it running now. with ethernet cable.

i had HASS.IO before but this crashed or freezed several times a day. this was very annoing so i decided to give debian a try.

cheers