HA Supervised with JellyFin?

Hello folks,
Let me explain the scenario I am in and what I would like to do.

I have a HA Supervised running on a generic-x86-64 Debian 12 which has 16GB Ram adn 250GB SSD. I wanted to avoid resource limitations (I use Frigate) and be able to run occasionally VMs for test and windows only software.
At the moment I have no issues, the system runs smoothly. Never seen more than 4GB used by HA (Frigate included).

I have also a RPi 3B+ which runs KODI, used as a Media Server, mostly for music, because it cannot manage high quality videos.

What am I thinkg to do?
I would like to run JellyFin Server on the same generic-x86-64 where HA Supervised runs, and attach a USB SSD to host videos. IMO my machine has plenty of resources to do the job (RAM and CPU) but want a separate disk.

Doubts

1. Will it work or am I going to fall in an unsupported conditions?
  2. Better JellyFin container with docker-compose or JellyFin for Debian (extrepo)?

Has somebody experienced such a scenario?
Suggestions?

Thanks

Probably unsupported

Better to use an add-on (if one exists)

Or run a VM for HAOS and uninstall Supervised, which would be my recommendation.

1 Like

I have done something similar with 3 MPD instances, a snapcast server, an ICEcast2 server and HA supervised.
It is possible, but to stay supported you must adhere to the limits HA sets and that is mainly on the network, which means HA has first priority to ports and you can only use tools that the HA limitations limit you to, so no direct editing of any network configuration files!

I have today switched to an VM setup with the media server on one VM and HAOS on another.
This makes it possible to restart the HAOS without interrupting the media server and I can limit the CPUs in the hypervisor, so when the media server decide it wants to scan and update its media library, then the HAOS system is not bogged down too and vice versa.

Thank you both @Tinkerer and @WallyR
To be honest I would like to stick with container approach, avoiding VMs. But I have to consider also limitations as well.

@Tinkerer I could use PLEX Server add-on but I don’t like it because

1. There are complaints about PLEX policy
  2. As far I understand it will just work with files in /media or /share of HA. And this means relying on the main (internal) SSD.

Before going with VMs may be I will try JellyFin for Debian (extrepo package) that could be easier to configure / rollback.

I will update this message.
Thanks

I’ve gone the other way and separated out some services and run proxmox. Pretty simple to setup. I’ve got HA on one VM, then Jellyfin and some other services (e.g. Samba) on another, and a proxy manager on an LXC. All runninglhappily with VERY low CPU usage on a dell micro 5070 with an i5-8500t cpu and 32GB RAM (although I am currently only using a fraction of that).

Today I installed JellyFin for Linux Debian (extrepo package) and, for the moment, no malfunctioning on HA side.
System appears to be healthy and supported.
Let’s see what happens.