HA SwitchPlate HASPone: DIY In-Wall Touchscreen Home Assistant Controller

Hi, thanks for the replies here. Unfortunately none of the suggestions helped and it’s still just a mostly blank white screen. Tried setting the “first time” option and “Run” to run the automation. Didn’t seem to do anything at all, as in nothing happened on the screen. Tried a reboot via the web interface and it came back to the same white screen.

Note, it’s not all white, it has the black button outlines as I have selected in the core automation.

I’ve tried running some of my button automations to try and set up some of the individual buttons anyway to see if they do anything and none work.

I’m leaving the factory reset as a last resort - but I’d also like to try reflashing with 1.05 again but I can’t find the image anywhere.

I tried creating a new automation from the core blueprint and I changed the page 1 layout to be the multi button page 7 layout and it didn’t seem to take. Meaning after running it (and even rebooting) the landing page is still my old default button page layout, not the new multi button selection I made for page 1.

So it appears it’s just not taking the core automation now. I think a factory reset is going to be my next step unless there’s some other things to try.

I’m pretty close to giving up and pulling the unit as something seems wrong with it. I clicked firmware update and lo and behold the URL for the latest was already pre-filled in, so I went ahead and did a firmware reflash, which completed, but in the end I get the same results.

Maybe sounds silly, but reboot the router.

OK, thanks again. I’m basically going to give up and move on to something else as a controller as unfortunately this one just won’t work any more. I did a full factory reset and reconfigured things to get it back online, and even restarted HA and my router and it’s just not working.

Can you make any blueprint work to this HASP? Time is the easiest. I made a diagnostic page that displays my IP, MAC and RSSI- this came in handy more than once.

I tried installing the “display clock” blueprint from a newly imported blueprint, as the top button on page 1 and it doesn’t show up. I refreshed the core automation and rebooted but it’s a no go. I have a z-wave zooz multi button controller on it’s way to replace this anyway so I’ve kind of lost hope on this unit.

It’s unfortunate as I have a second one that I haven’t installed yet in a different room that I’m probably not going to do anything with. Maybe I’ll try to sell it on ebay as it’s still brand new and was purchased from the assembler’s etsy page some time ago.

Base on your description I think it’s almost certainly a software/config issue. I’d guess that your MQTT broker is, for one reason or another, not retaining retained messages. What are you using for MQTT? Are you familiar enough with MQTT to determine if anything is being retained?

I’m not sure about the retain question, but here’s some info that maybe will help?

broker is the Mosquitto HA add on
Here’s what happens after I reboot the panel:

2023-10-29 12:58:12: New connection from 192.168.2.51:58859 on port 1883.
2023-10-29 12:58:12: New client connected from 192.168.2.51:58859 as plate01-c8d9e56b4f4a (p2, c1, k30, u'mqtt')

On the device page, when I go the panel, I can turn on/off the backlight with the toggle and change pages, so that’s working. I can also change the backlight brightness.

Here’s the add-on:

Mosquitto broker
Current version: 6.3.1

I also have a bunch of devices using the zigbee2mqtt add on which I think uses the mosquitto broker and those all are working fine.

Allright, another potential problem might be the duplication of the device somehow. Follow this guide and see if that gets you anywhere.

Based on your description, I am confident that your hardware and firmware are fine, so now we have to figure out what Home Assistant is doing.

OK, thanks for the guide. I checked and don’t have any duplicate devices listed, and the one that does show up acts like the “functional device” on the doc you shared. As I mentioned, the toggles work and I can change things for the device.

With that said, I’m going to delete the device from HA and see if MQTT re-adds it.

OK weird stuff and some progress!

After deleting the device, shortly after rebooting it showed up again in HA via MQTT. Nothing changed, so I ran the core automation, then ran ran each button automation and the buttons started showing up I ran them. However, once I did that none of the buttons actually worked (toggles) so I ran the “create device triggers” automation, just in case, and then re-rain the button automations and it’s still not functioning. Although the button blinks when I tap it, it’s just not doing the toggle of the device.

Here’s the yaml for the first button, as an example:

alias: HASPone Sunroom P1 B4 - cafe lights
description: ""
use_blueprint:
  path: HASwitchPlate/hasp_Display_Toggle.yaml
  input:
    font_select: 6 - Noto Sans 32
    haspdevice: 9d3df39e1dc3da2dc92f0a6caf8d66cc
    entity: light.3a_smart_home_de_lxn56_ds27lx1_3_level_on_off
    action_on:
      - type: turn_on
        device_id: a8f4e167b51977c4da0893eb17659f63
        entity_id: light.3a_smart_home_de_lxn56_ds27lx1_3_level_on_off
        domain: light
        brightness_pct: 100
    action_off:
      - type: turn_off
        device_id: a8f4e167b51977c4da0893eb17659f63
        entity_id: light.3a_smart_home_de_lxn56_ds27lx1_3_level_on_off
        domain: light
    text_on:    Cafe Lights
    text_off:    Cafe Lights
    on_fgcolor: 65535
    on_bgcolor: 50785
    off_fgcolor: 65535
    off_bgcolor: 8522
    haspbutton: 4

One clue here is that when I reboot the plate, usually I don’t have to do anything to get all the relevant automations to run (i.e. configure all the buttons, etc) but now when I reboot the “core” runs, and it creates the page buttons at the bottom which work and show up properly.

But none of the other automations seem to run. The listed device is correct but I’m going to go through and reset each one by re-picking the device in case some ID changed when I removed & re-added the plate.

Yeah, didn’t help. Went through all the automations and “deleted” the assigned device, then the pulldown showed the plate so I picked that and saved. Also re-ran each individually and I get the same results.

So here’s where I am:

Core automation sets up the page buttons and the bottom and they appear correct and work.
All the other buttons remain white with black borders.
If I run a single button automation it sets up the button’s appearance properly, but the button doesn’t toggle a device.
Reboots of the panel load the core automation only. None of the buttons load.

I’m going to try creating a new automation from a blueprint of a button device toggle and see what happens.

What happens if you hit “RUN ACTIONS” on one of the blueprints you’ve deployed?

It configured the button’s appearance but the button doesn’t work.

So the new thing is - I created a brand new button that just toggles a light and sent it to the panel, and it works!

And when I reboot that automation loads properly and automatically. I’m currently comparing the two to see why one works (the new one I created) and the other one doesn’t.

Here’s the new one that works, and the old one that doesn’t work is above.

alias: HASPone p[x].b[y] displays a toggle button TEMP
description: ""
use_blueprint:
  path: HASwitchPlate/hasp_Display_Toggle.yaml
  input:
    haspdevice: 9d3df39e1dc3da2dc92f0a6caf8d66cc
    entity: switch.family_room_bookshelf_sonoff_s31_lite_zb_switch
    action_on:
      - type: turn_on
        device_id: 22315373cf53be633c8ab3fbb89fbd14
        entity_id: 2ffc795614ea18adffde752c5e1ce2a7
        domain: switch
    action_off:
      - type: turn_off
        device_id: 22315373cf53be633c8ab3fbb89fbd14
        entity_id: 2ffc795614ea18adffde752c5e1ce2a7
        domain: switch

OK, so here’s the deal. I recreated a new button toggling the cafe lights like I showed an example of above. I pushed it to the panel and it’s working, with a toggle and everything, so that button is back to normal.

I guess I have to take the time to literally recreate every button but I’m going to wait for a while as it’s going to be frustrating to do that since I have a lot of buttons :frowning:

Dunno what happened.

Really weird :expressionless: Good news is your device is OK, but what is Home Assistant having problems with? If you do run across a resolution or more data, please share if you can and hopefully we can help the next fella out.

Have you run MQTT Explorer to monitor the MQTT communications between Home Assistant and the HASP device?

When you press a button on HASP, what MQTT topic and data is sent to the broker?

I’m not familiar with MQTT explorer and it seems like it’s an add-on. I’ll need to look into it.

In the meantime, here’s the interesting behavior that I’ve figured out.

For existing automations that no longer work, I literally “duplicate” them, add a name and save, and run them and they work! Meaning I think there’s some “refresh” of the blueprint or something that happens when I dupe the scripts. Not sure but this is easier than recreating them from scratch.

@luma I would like you to create a fan blueprint, I believe it would be very useful. Tks