HA SwitchPlate HASPone: DIY In-Wall Touchscreen Home Assistant Controller

New Router. I made sure the SSID and Password was the same. All of my ESPHome devices and all of my Alexa devices found the new router and connected right away. My HASP units, however, are stuck on “hasp initializing”. On one unit on my desktop I am plugged into the USB on the Wemos D1 Mini, but there is no debug output.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Focusing on your desktop unit for a moment, what happens over serial when you restart the device? Do you have debug logging enabled?

Thanks for the reply.

Nothing happens. Which is odd because I’ve never seen this with dozens of ESP devices in my home. I had hoped to solve the issue the easy way, but I wound up just removing them from the wall and reflashing them. Works fine now.

Steve

Is there an easy way to rename the HASP device short of reflashing?

You should be able to simply change the name in the web admin interface.

Thanks, but I mean the device name in the Blueprints.
When I installed my first HASP a couple of years ago, I just hit the defaults (mostly) in the Blueprints. My first device became “plate01”.

In the succeeding years I’ve added a few more HASP devices and more Blueprints to those devices, but the device named “plate01” in the dropdown is what I would like to change.

It’s working fine with the device name “plate01”, but I would like to change the name to something more descriptive. The only way I can see this is to flash the device again and add a bunch of new Blueprints.

Can you rename from the Home Assistant device panel? Settings > Devices > Devices > plate01, select the pencil edit icon in the top left, then rename the device.

@luma this is such a cool project. Any chance you could make a version that fits behind a regular decora switchplate? My entire house uses those metal Mulberry plates with rounded corners, so the squared off 3d printed ones don’t go with the house.

I know this would make the screen dimensions different, so I’m not sure if there’s a screen that works for this. I don’t know that I have it in me to build this on my own, but I’d certainly pay for it.

I love the idea, and it’s what I wanted to do originally, but I ran into the problem of not being able to reliably source a suitable display module that exactly fits the Decora dimensions. If someone finds such a thing… let me know!

2 Likes

? How is this different from the Decora switches in my house today?

New problem.
I had a power outage and when restored everything is working except HASP.

Restart HA - no change.
Power-cycle the HASP unit - no change.
Re-flash my desktop HASP, (Haspnode, SSID and MQTT IP and passwords all hard coded).
Now I am stuck at the screen: WiFi connected, MQTT connected.

Any ideas?

Can you send a page change to the device?

No. The web site is not even available so I can’t flash a new binary there. I wound up removing it from the wall to flash the binary again. It’s working fine.

Of the other three HASP devices, one just spontaneously started working a few hours later while I was re-flashing the other two.

Oddly, the in-wall HASP device would receive data: time, temperature and even data from Node Red, but none of the buttons worked and when a light was manually turned on, there was no response on the screen.

I called it a power fail but that was a cop out. It was an easier explanation than "I took down my servers to clean up the wiring in my server closet and the last server restarted was my MQTT broker. My MQTT broker is on a Raspberry Pi3 but my Home Assistant is on an Intel NUC.

Trying to change the Wi-Fi Network
This is a HASP that I build I guess back in 2019 I think, and I have had zero issues.
It’s running firmware 1.05
I have changed the SSID and password a number of time on the admin page and save, but it just goes back to and same network.

I would like not to have to factory reset it because the fingerprint will change, then I would have go back and rebuild all the things for it.

It shouldn’t have a problem with the factory reset so long as the device name stays the same (and the MAC but that won’t change). I’m not sure why it’s not taking the changes, but it may require a reset to get yourself out of the situation you’re in.

edit2: content deleted and moved to OPENhasp threed.
edit: I think that i missed threed ? this is haspone I need OPENhasp ?

Confirmed, OpenHASP is for ESP32.

Hi, apologies in advance if this is the wrong thread. I’m having a new problem with my HASPone panel and I was hoping to get some advice. I need to start off by saying I didn’t assemble this, I purchased it from etsy as a completed unit and it’s been working for a couple years now.

Just today though the unit starts up but none of the buttons show up or get programmed. I can reach the web interface and reboot it, and I’ve hard power cycled it, but each time it connects to wifi, connects to my HA MQTT broker but none of the buttons get programmed.

When I go to the device page on HA, I can change the pages and the blank button outlines show up as I have them programmed, but none of the actual data shows up on the buttons, and of course pressing them doesn’t do anything either.

Hoping for some ideas before I do the factory reset. Also, I can’t seem to find a link anywhere for the 1.05 firmware that it’s running, just 1.04 and older. How do I find that to “reflash” it with?

Thanks in advance,

Dennis

Did you run the Core Blueprint?

Specifically, try this:

Re-run Core functionality “First-time HASP setup or reset”

1. Under Configuration > Automations, find your HASP Core functionality automation deployed from blueprint and click the 🖉 icon to edit.
  2. At the very bottom of the blueprint you’ll find an option First-time HASP setup or reset. Enable that option, click SAVE, then back at the top of the blueprint click RUN ACTIONS.
  3. You can now disable First-time HASP setup or reset and click SAVE