HA SwitchPlate HASPone: DIY In-Wall Touchscreen Home Assistant Controller

Ooo! I want to see if you and I did the automation the same way. I’ve had these button toggles implemented for a while with status feedback too.

1 Like

I get that it is meant to be customised. I just wanted to get some ideas and feedback on them especially in case somebody already did that.

I’m not entirely sure if this is the best idea of navigation in any case. Thats why I wanted feedback before writing all those automations.

Especially the need to restart Home assistant makes that a tiresome exercise. My restarts now take almost 5 min each :frowning:

Thanks for the suggestions anyways…

1 Like

Man I hear that - I’ve stood up a dev instance of Hass for working on this due to the restarts of my prod instance taking forever. Thanks for all the feedback and input, these sorts of comments are what helps me guide my own development and I appreciate you working through it!

Wow some great additions here. Great work @luma just trying to find a UK mounting solution now.

1 Like

I have a few more suggestions:

Alarm Clock (would be nice to be able to set is by using something like the Alarm page)

long press for dimming - I think this would have to be implemented directly in the Arduino code…

This is interesting and might be doable. Let me stew on that for a bit.

Can you explain in more detail how this might work from an interaction standpoint? I’m not sure if I get exactly how this would play out.

Alarm Clock would be very cool. Could build these into a nice little bed side table alarm clock with a snooze button and input_select to set the time or a slider.

Was looking at doing this with hafloorplan on a Fire tablet with sensors showing temperature of my daughter’s bedroom.

The alarm clock I started… basically modifying the alarm page. Type four numbers if they evaluate to a correct time they will be set. To activate you press the time on the status page. Then instead of the temperature it will show the alarm time. When the alarm rings another page with options will be shown. Snooze, off, etc.

As for the dimming i was inspired by one button dimmer. You press and while you press the light gets brighter. You press a second time and the light dims. Short tap: off (or on) to previous value.

The switches are nice. But I suppose it would be better to do the status changes in the Arduino code or even in the Nextion itself now the state update on the display is very slow. I think it makes for a clumsy experience. Maybe it’s better to stick to buttons if this cannot be solved somehow.

hello,

while discord chat was a good idea i learnt something new but no one also helped me there i don’t know i was able to locate same dimmer with same problem some one on open hab ( https://community.openhab.org/t/mqtt-dimmer-command-payload-help/39337 ), but then again i dont know how to migrate that into HA also i printed one plate in back front of the panel only as i had enough back room and put it in my cinema and its working like magic

thank you again

1 Like

Time to start building some HASPs!

6 Likes

HASP version 0.29 release

This one is mostly a housekeeping release as I prepare to start offering a limited run of assembled HASP devices on Tindie (more on that soon).

Arduino code

• Descriptive prompt when MQTT broker hostname is missing along w/ QR to open web admin panel to deal with it
  • Add missing LCD version details to status JSON
  • Fix stripped zeros from hostname/password used in wifi autoconfig
  • Fix object ID for QR code in wifi autoconfig
  • Disable MQTT while running LCD updates
  • Clean up firmware update web page for more consistent behavior across all functions

Example automations

Assembled HASP units for sale!

I’ve built a handful of HASP units (and have parts for a few more) and listed them for sale on Tindie. Currently I only have the single-wide faceplate ready for sale. The product link description should be familiar to anyone reading the thread at this point so I’ll just copy/paste the part at the end:

I only have 5 ready at this moment as I want to ramp this up slowly to make sure I catch any problems with the physical design before I send out a bunch of the things. I do intend to build additional units if people seem to be interested in this.

Still - I’d far rather you build one yourself because it’s cool and fun, but if the hardware aspect of this project is keeping people from hacking at a the software then it seems worth the time to have completed devices available.

8 Likes

I just wish there was a UK face plate that could take these. As I love mine but currently no where to really put it.

Does anyone have a link to the standard dimensions for mounting screws and box size for a UK switch plate and work box? I’m having trouble finding anything reliable. It might be able to happen but I’d need some definitive dimensional drawings of what I’m designing for.

this is the size of a standard single blanking plate
|Height (mm)|85mm
|Width (mm)|85mm
|Depth (mm)|5mm
https://www.diy.com/departments/propower-single-white-blanking-plate/832638_BQ.prd?_br_psugg_q=single+blank+plate

I’m going to need to know the exact locations of the mounting screws and the interior dimensions of the standard box behind the plate, along with any obstructions that might interfere with fit (screw lugs, etc).

For example, in North America we have this:

and this:

In order to see if the project would work at all, and then to design a possible solution, I’m going to need the exact geometry of both the plate and the box that it mounts into, along with the location of all mounting hardware.

I’ve not managed to find accurate technical drawings like yours, but all drawings i have found seem to concur on 60.3mm centers between holes, but there is variance of 85mm or 86mm for the square dimensions depending on the manufacturer, and i would be pretty confident that the holes are vertically centred on the plate. Mounting screws are normally M3.5

“86 Type” is a term i see used frequently.

and
http://www.l-ateliergourmand.com/images/www.discount-electrical.co.uk/images/metcld_plswitch_dims.gif

1 Like

I have today updated my November 2017 install of HASP to 0.29, and have been adapting my automations to work with the updated code/naming, but have run into an issue.

Previously i had a tweak that was part of the “HASwitchPlate_Panel_Page_Changed” automation, which triggers on the “homeassistant/haswitchplate/HASwitchPlate/state/page” topic.

Naturally i moved this into the equivalent “hasp_plate01_p0_PanelPageChanged”, which triggers on the “hasp/plate01/state/page” topic.

Subscribing to ‘#’ on the command line, i never see the hasp/plate01/state/page show up at all, has something changed in the arduino code to stop this?

A while back I had to split up the namespace due to how Hass handles MQTT subscriptions. Page changes now show up on topic hasp/plate01/command/page.