HA SwitchPlate HASPone: DIY In-Wall Touchscreen Home Assistant Controller

Looking at your video I think the black is better than that green!

Green is just some cheap filament i had. Will actually finish it off in black or white. Not going to print with the good stuff for prototyping.

Yeah I figured that was the case :slight_smile:

Actually seems I have done mine for the NZ team colours and you just need to add a bit of yellow to yours.

Or some sandpaper?

hahaha we seem to be quite good at that. :smile:

This type of power supply might be useful:

2 Likes

I would be interested in the STLs. Canā€™t they be added to @luma s gitthub repo? Would be great to have more STL options for various countries there.

Happy to do this is @luma is happy to have them.

1 Like

Thats think out side the Square

:beers:

Once people have had a chance to test these Iā€™d be happy to accept a PR or just upload the STLs myself. This looks like great work and I LOVE THOSE RENDERS!

1 Like

Yes some countries take electrical safety seriously.

In NZ there are some things you are allowed to do outright, and some things you can do and then have a registered electrician certify as correct. I think Australia will be similar as we have a lot of common standards.

However putting an uncertified mains connected device in your wall probably isnā€™t allowed in many 1st world countries.

Cheers @luma. Iā€™m still pretty much a noob with Fusion 360 but iā€™m loving what you can do with the renders.

Are people interested in me incorporating Lumaā€™s back cover into my wall plate design?

Also @digiblur In Aus we have 240v power. If you touch 110v you know about it and generally live to tell the tale. Touch 240 volt however and you have a high chance of ending up in a body bag. Yes I agree that some of the laws are stupid but they are there to protect people that donā€™t have knowledge.

You forget Ohmā€™s law. For a fixed object (eg a human body) if you double the voltage placed over it, you double the current passing through.

Anyway there are risks other than electrocution here. Fire being the main one. This is a risk not only to the DIYer but his family, friends,neighbours and the firemen who get called out. Plus youā€™ll void your insurance.

1 Like

So i spent a good potion of last night adapting Lumaā€™s cover to my design. However i just couldnā€™t get it to print properly without supports. (And i hate supports).

So new plan. I have designed an adaptor plate and re-designed the back cover (off the original measurements) in so all 3 parts should click together and that way you can print them without the need for supports :smile:

Here is a quick animation showing how it clicks together. Iā€™m just about to start printing so i will post a Finished pic once complete. Looks like it is going to take around 4 to 5 hours to print so wish me luck.

com-crop

1 Like

sigh I need that 3d printer.

So here is the finished print.

Few learning from this. the tabs which go into the slot of each part are to snug. I had to bevel the edges with a Stanley knife to press it in. But once beveled it pressed in quite tight and infeel with a dab of super glue will be rock solid.

So to combat this I have added a .5mm chanfer to the tabss so hopefully that sorts that out.

Wonā€™t be able to do a print for a couple of days as Iā€™m flat out at work but will update back once I have an update. If anyone with a assembled pcb is willing to test this out let me know and I will flick them the STL files.

Next post shows it fully assembled. I still canā€™t post more than 1 pic at once

1 Like

And Assembled

3 Likes

Luma have you had any luck with a different motion detection setup? I remember you had issues with microwave radar

Yeah it never worked right through the LCD. It would pick up motion reliably, but also had a ton of false positives. I still really like the idea and at some point I might dig back into how to shoehorn something similar into the project. The challenge is that the front-facing opening from the work box is essentially 100% consumed by the LCD which doesnā€™t leave a lot of room or options.

The PCB design has left a pinheader with 3.3V/5V/GND, the 1 ADC pin (A0), and a few GPIO pins, with the intent that a daughterboard could be added in the future to addā€¦ something. Still working out what ā€œsomethingā€ might be.

I just bought one of the assembled kits, and also the PCB board so I can dissect it. But was wondering, I can buy all the parts separate, except the 3d printed face plates.

Is there any plans in the future to sell just the face plates separate for users that donā€™t have 3d printers?