HA Update "No updates available" & I'm a long way behind :-)

Hi

I’m new to HA & to this forum so please forgive me if I’m missing something obvious!

I installed HA on a 64bit Debian Bullseye vm a few months ago. Since installing the system has always reported it is up to date. I checked the HA version today and the system reports:

Home Assistant 2023.1.7
Frontend 20230110.0 - latest

If I try and update via the web UI the system reports:

No updates available

I did some googling and found I can update via a cli. While logged in via ssh to the homeassistant user if I run the command “hass-cli ha os update” I receive this response:

/usr/local/lib/python3.9/dist-packages/homeassistant_cli/config.py:42: FutureWarning: <homeassistant_cli.config._ZeroconfListener object at 0x7fe27b859f40> has no update_service method. Provide one (it can be empty if you don't care about the updates), it'll become mandatory.
  zeroconf.ServiceBrowser(_zeroconf, "_home-assistant._tcp.local.", listener)
Trying to locate Home Assistant on local network...
Found and using http://192.168.2.78:8123 as server
error: JSONDecodeError: Extra data: line 1 column 4 (char 3)
Run with -x to see full exception information

If I run with “-x” as suggested I receive this output:

/usr/local/lib/python3.9/dist-packages/homeassistant_cli/config.py:42: FutureWarning: <homeassistant_cli.config._ZeroconfListener object at 0x7f62b9966d60> has no update_service method. Provide one (it can be empty if you don't care about the updates), it'll become mandatory.
Extra data: line 1 column 4 (char 3)
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "/home/homeassistant/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/requests/models.py", line 971, in json
    return complexjson.loads(self.text, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/json/__init__.py", line 346, in loads
    return _default_decoder.decode(s)
  File "/usr/lib/python3.9/json/decoder.py", line 340, in decode
    raise JSONDecodeError("Extra data", s, end)
json.decoder.JSONDecodeError: Extra data: line 1 column 4 (char 3)

During handling of the above exception, another exception occurred:

File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/dist-packages/homeassistant_cli/cli.py", line 40, in run
    result = cli.main(standalone_mode=False)
  File "/home/homeassistant/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/click/core.py", line 1078, in main
    rv = self.invoke(ctx)
  File "/home/homeassistant/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/click/core.py", line 1688, in invoke
    return _process_result(sub_ctx.command.invoke(sub_ctx))
  File "/home/homeassistant/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/click/core.py", line 1688, in invoke
  File "/home/homeassistant/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/click/core.py", line 1434, in invoke
    return ctx.invoke(self.callback, **ctx.params)
  File "/home/homeassistant/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/click/core.py", line 783, in invoke
    return __callback(*args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/homeassistant/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/click/decorators.py", line 92, in new_func
    return ctx.invoke(f, obj, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/home/homeassistant/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/click/core.py", line 783, in invoke
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/dist-packages/homeassistant_cli/plugins/ha.py", line 226, in os_update
    response = _handle_raw(ctx, 'os/info')
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/dist-packages/homeassistant_cli/plugins/ha.py", line 62, in _handle_raw
    return response.json()
  File "/home/homeassistant/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/requests/models.py", line 975, in json
    raise RequestsJSONDecodeError(e.msg, e.doc, e.pos)
requests.exceptions.JSONDecodeError: Extra data: line 1 column 4 (char 3)

Other cli commands also fail, such as “hass-cli -x ha os info”:

/usr/local/lib/python3.9/dist-packages/homeassistant_cli/config.py:42: FutureWarning: <homeassistant_cli.config._ZeroconfListener object at 0x7fb72e642cd0> has no update_service method. Provide one (it can be empty if you don't care about the updates), it'll become mandatory.
404 Client Error: Not Found for url: http://192.168.2.78:8123/api/hassio/os/info
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/dist-packages/homeassistant_cli/cli.py", line 40, in run
    result = cli.main(standalone_mode=False)
  File "/home/homeassistant/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/click/core.py", line 1078, in main
    rv = self.invoke(ctx)
  File "/home/homeassistant/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/click/core.py", line 1434, in invoke
    return ctx.invoke(self.callback, **ctx.params)
  File "/home/homeassistant/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/click/decorators.py", line 92, in new_func
    return ctx.invoke(f, obj, *args, **kwargs)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/dist-packages/homeassistant_cli/plugins/ha.py", line 219, in os_info
    _handle(ctx, 'os/info')
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/dist-packages/homeassistant_cli/plugins/ha.py", line 54, in _handle
    _report(ctx, httpmethod, method, response)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.9/dist-packages/homeassistant_cli/plugins/ha.py", line 31, in _report
    response.raise_for_status()
  File "/home/homeassistant/.local/lib/python3.9/site-packages/requests/models.py", line 1021, in raise_for_status
    raise HTTPError(http_error_msg, response=self)
requests.exceptions.HTTPError: 404 Client Error: Not Found for url: http://192.168.2.78:8123/api/hassio/os/info

If I use a browser to check “http://192.168.2.78:8123/api” I get a 404. My HA system is pretty simple, just a ESPHome, a few zigbee and X10 items so I’ve not changed much. I’ve added some shell_command, which all work, to configuration.yaml but little else.

My VM can access the internet ok and is using Google for DNS.

Any ideas on what I could try next? I’ve searched this forum and google but I’ve not had much success.

Thanks

Bert

I wonder where you found your installation instructions, and which kind of VM you are running ?
Also " 2023.1.7 " should not be considered as “few month ago” :wink: :slight_smile:

1 Like

You are probably (almost sure) running HA Core in a Python venv.

= No updates available that will run on a Python 3.9 installation. The current version of HA requires Python 3.12

2 Likes

Thanks for your feedback. I followed an install guide but as it was a while ago I can’t recall what guide I used. I guess I might be better off creating a new vm and starting again by the sounds of it.

If you create a new vm, use HA OS instead of Debian + HA Core.

2 Likes

Yes, thou i do “miss” the VMwarePlayer install option in that Page, i did “Reported it Missing”
One can install VMware Player in Debian also, doesn’t have to be ESXI/Sphere

One can partly follow the install instructions on the “Windows Page” ( After installing WMWare-Player in Debian )

Windows - Home Assistant. ( You then need this specific Image (.vmdk) instead of ( .ova )

1 Like

Thanks for the advice. I think I tried HA OS initially, but was unable to apt-get to install more stuff. I have some hand carved bash scripts that I use to control stuff around the house that I had issues with, hence I went HA supervised on top of Debian & ProxMox. I’ll try HA OS again though, I’m sure my lack of knowledge was/is a key issue!

I used HomeSeer 2 for many years, got out of home automation and now I’m back again.

Thanks again.

Yeah you can’t do that if running HA OS, however you can run up another Linux VM to run whatever you want.

1 Like