HA / WLED and Segments

Hi there, I’m looking for a bit of help/advice with HA/WLED integration. I have several LED strips in my house and their behavior in HA/WLED is confusing the heck out of me. I know it is related to how I am using segments, I will explain. It appears that each strip has several entities that change depending on the preset selected… If I have the whole strip set up as one segment it is very easy. I have one entity, I can turn off, on, change colors, update presets, etc. However, the problems start when I have some presets that use segments and others that don’t. When using a preset with segments, I now have to use the “main” entity to power the entire strip off and on. However, the previous entity now only controls the first segment, and I can’t change colors from the toggle anymore… None of this makes sense to me. All I want to do is have one toggle that turns all segments off or on and allows me to use any preset regardless of the number of segments, whether that is 1 or 10. What am I missing here?

Anyone have any additional thoughts on this?

Thanks,
Matt.

Which controller do you use?

QuinLED DigQuad (ESP32 based WLED)

I have a workaround for it now… So basically, I save anything I want to use as a preset. Doesn’t matter how many segments, etc. My #1 preset is White 6000K with only one segment for the whole strip (it’s also the one I use the most). If I switch to another preset using my HA dashboard (say one with multiple segments) all I need to do is switch back to the White 6000K one BEFORE I turn off the light using the normal light switch entity. Since White 6000K is always one segment only, this turns off the entire strip. It also syncs perfectly (in real time) with WLED using this method. It’s one extra click, but it works flawlessly. Worst case, I am guessing I could write a helper or an automation with a button that changes the preset to “White 6000K 1 Segment” and then turns off the Light entity with one click, but the workaround works fine for now…