HA won't start (doesn't exist as a service) after docker upgrade to 2024.5

Been running HA for a while on an RPi4 also running pi-hole. The installation is via docker, and a few times a month I run

docker compose pull
docker compose up -d

Did the same this month, and got the usual “Pull complete” messages and then “Container homeassitant Started”
However, it’s not running.

netstat doesn’t show anything listening on port 8123, systemctl doesn’t show a homeassitant service, and I’m at a loss!

I’ve run
docker compose up -d --force-recreate
no difference

I’ve run
docker system prune -a -f
as I was a little short on space, no difference.

If anyone has any ideas, they’d be much appreciated!

Oh, one more thing I’ve just noticed, python3 is pegged at 100% on my system, running
python3 -m homeassistant -c /config
that may have something to do with it!

Disable your custom integrations, and then start HA again.
Especially if you have the Dreame Vacuum custom integration

I removed all my custom components and rebooted the RPi, no change. I didn’t have a Dreame Vacuum integration (nor any other vacuum), but I disabled all of them anyway.

When I say I disabled them, I renamed the custom_components folder to custom_components.save. I assume that disables them because they aren’t in the right place anymore!

Do you see something in the logs ?

Good call, it’s crashed (a lot!)

type 2024-05-07 11:32:09.931 ERROR (MainThread) [root] Uncaught exception
Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "<frozen runpy>", line 198, in _run_module_as_main
  File "<frozen runpy>", line 88, in _run_code
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/homeassistant/__main__.py", line 220, in <module>
    sys.exit(main())
             ^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/homeassistant/__main__.py", line 208, in main
    exit_code = runner.run(runtime_conf)
                ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/homeassistant/runner.py", line 190, in run
    return loop.run_until_complete(setup_and_run_hass(runtime_config))
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/asyncio/base_events.py", line 685, in run_until_complete
    return future.result()
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/homeassistant/runner.py", line 156, in setup_and_run_hass
    hass = await bootstrap.async_setup_hass(runtime_config)
           ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/homeassistant/bootstrap.py", line 280, in async_setup_hass
    await hass.async_add_executor_job(conf_util.process_ha_config_upgrade, hass)
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/concurrent/futures/thread.py", line 58, in run
    result = self.fn(*self.args, **self.kwargs)
             ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/homeassistant/config.py", line 579, in process_ha_config_upgrade
    if version_obj < AwesomeVersion("0.50"):
       ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
  File "/usr/local/lib/python3.12/site-packages/awesomeversion/awesomeversion.py", line 172, in __lt__
    raise AwesomeVersionCompareException(
awesomeversion.exceptions.AwesomeVersionCompareException: Can't compare <unknown > and <SimpleVer 0.50>
or paste code here

This seems to happen if you run out of space on your HDD. The solution is to check for a .HA_VERSION file in your Home Assistant root directory. If it has a size of 0b, delete it and restart Home Assistant.

c.f. https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/59324 and https://github.com/home-assistant/core/issues/86245

(I actually ran into this today…)

1 Like