HA Yellow: messing with my home network, crashing other smart devices? Help

Hi all,

I’m not super tech savvy so bare with me.

I have Home Assistant Yellow, my model has Ethernet, ZHA is built in, I have a Bluetooth adapter/extender added also.

HA Yellow Info:

• Core 2024.4.3
  • Supervisor 2024.04.0
  • Operating System12.2
  • Frontend 20240404.2

I’ve been having issues for a while now, ended up turning it off. But wanted to get things working so turned it back on last week, did updates & had to reconfigure a couple automations.

Last week I turned it back on, a few days later Philips Hue Hub internet LED dropped off, I had local control but no remote control at all, next Switchbot hub(wifi) lost connection & refused to connect.
Then found that my NAS was having connection issues & had a heap of error notifications in my NAS software, Plex stopped working & a friend of mine couldn’t access a shared folder.

The automations I had set up stopped as well.

Yesterday I unplugged HA Yellow again, restarted both the Fibre ONT & Router.
Now everything is all working as it should.
I have left HA Yellow unplugged.

Why would Home Assistant cause these issues?? Like its corrupting my whole network?

Can anyone help?

I’ve seen similar posts on the forum but with no resolution. Hoping someone can advise?

Why the reconfiguration? Where there errors or was it caused by changes in the update?

As @stevemann already mentioned in the other topic:

This would be my guess as well. As you can see, HA is still running, whereas the connection isn’t possible. That points into the direction, that the device, responsible for all network thingies, could be the problem. In your case the router or whatever handles your network.

I’d start searching in this direction. :slight_smile: I wouldn’t say, HA isn’t the culprit, maybe something is wrong, but I wouldn’t focus my search on HA. It’s evenly possible, that any other device is messing with your network. Eg. some device is integrated by HA and is flooding the network with wrong data for some reason. You wouldn’t find anything on your HA server, but it would explain, why disabling HA would solve the problem.

Let us know how things go! :slight_smile:

I had to muck around with some automations as they had errors, think it was the entities.

We had issues with our router a while ago, but things appears to “come right” & our ISP was sure there was nothing wrong with our Fibre ONT or Router that everything was fine from their tests.

Everything has been fine network wise for ages, HA was turned off in that time.

I’m going to try setting HA up with a static IP & see if this helps. We had an issue with our Smart TV dropping ethernet connection & a Static IP fixed it.

After doing that I will see if any errors happen.

Thanks for the reply.

I would be doing some network sniffing.

1 Like

So automations are out, regarding that error. At least one eliminated. :rofl:

What router do you use? If it’s a router from your provider, that might be something like a bottle neck. They tend to be not that performant. :slight_smile:

The static IP seems a good idea. Let’s see if this pushes things ahead. Oh and while you’re at it, can you check your router for any network logs or something like that?

And one last question: is your HA connected via Wifi or ethernet?

Sounds like a router problem. How many devices are connecting to the router?

Last year when when were having major issues, we had our ISP involved, they wouldnt replace the router & swore there was nothing from their tests.

Things eventually came right, I came even remember why, the TV would drop ethernet connection all the time, set a Static IP on it & it resolved. WTF.

To answer your Question, you mean ALL devices wifi & ethernet…
![Screenshot 2024-04-26 182827|483x417, 75%]

Edit: picture

That’s because static IPs don’t need the DHCP server. DHCP assigns available IP addresses after the static devices have already started connecting. If the static, not a reserved IP.

What you will find is that new devices may have difficulty connecting and existing devices will drop offline. Seemingly at random.

The all-in-one routers (gateway, switch, WiFi AP) provided by the ISP are from the low-bidder. That should be reason enough to return them to the ISP.

You don’t say which router you have, but I started having problems with my Verizon FIOS router at about 60 clients. Like you, Verizon kept insisting that the problem was not their router. They replaced it twice but the problems persisted.

On your original topic. HA Yellow is not the problem, but probably what pushed your router beyond its capacity.

By the way, don’t ask for a specific number of clients that a router can handle. There is none. It is mostly determined by the amount of RAM available on the router to store things like routing tables for each client.

This is my hardware. (My network has 118 clients):

• ER7206 Router
  • OC200 Omada Hardware Controller
  • EAP-610 Access Point (2)
  • EAP-615-Wall Access Point (2)
  • TL-SG1210P 8 Port Gigabit PoE Switch
  • TL-SG1005P 5 Port Gigabit PoE Switch

You’re not providing any valuable information, sorry! :wink: Please share detailed informations, if you want us to help properly. :slight_smile: