HA Yellow PoE won't boot

Hey folks I’m encountering an issue and normally I’m pretty good at troubleshooting but I’m having no luck so far. I purchased a Home Assistant Yellow PoE approx 3 months ago and it’s worked fine up until a few days ago. It just suddenly died. Nothing of note happened to the network switch it’s plugged into (no power surges or random disconnects etc.)

The device just will not power on at all. Here is a list of things I’ve tried:

• Unplug the Cat6 cable and plug it back in
  • Switched to a known good cable that I tested on a different PoE device
  • Tested the port on my switch and then tried a different port
  • Confirmed my switch configuration allows network access on that port and that PoE is turned on
  • Re-seated the CM-4 module (twice now.) I’ve also inspected for visible damage on the connectors and none was found
  • Attempted to reinstall the OS by using the USB-C recovery method from the documentation

I’m out of ideas.

What’s strange is my network switch port will light up yellow, indicating something is drawing power, but the LEDs on the ethernet port on the HA Yellow do not light up at all. I can feel a slight amount of heat radiating from the bottom of the PCB after leaving it plugged in for a bit so it’s getting power somehow but nothing else is happening.

Curious what other trouble shooting steps I should try.

The way this is behaving makes me think the issue isn’t the CM-4 because I feel like I’d be seeing some kind of activity on the ethernet port of the HA Yellow, but since there’s none I wonder if my HA Yellow is just dead. I’m new to this type of hardware, so is there an easy way to troubleshoot and confirm that theory? Is there a good way to rule out the possibility of it being the CM-4 or the HA Yellow PCB?

I would try a separate PS

I’d suspect that poe module has gone (does heat comes from the part where poe stuff is placed?).
As already suggested try with a separate power to see if my claim is correct. If so, contact supplier for a replacement.

1 Like

After digging around for 2 days in random boxes I found a 12v power supply. Once I plugged in it the thing booted up. It appears the PoE module has burned up. I contacted the supplier and they had informed me this has happened to a couple other units as well. Luckily they were very accommodating and are priority shipping a replacement to me. I 10/10 Recommend CloudFree for their customer service.