HA Zigbee integration

A couple of years ago I installed HA with Zigbee2MQTT and MQTT to get the communication with my Zigbee devices working.

Currently, I think the zigbee2mqtt and/or MQTT apps (containers) aren’t needed anymore as some is integrated with HA.

Can anyone tell me if I still need zigbee2mqtt and mqtt as separate apps (containers) ?

I am a bit confused, and have a slight feeling, my configuration is currently too complex.

Do you mean addons? What HA installation type are you running?

Zigbee2MQTT integrates new devices faster then ZHA (the HA native Zigbee stack), and is easier to debug. That is why I stay on Zigbee2MQTT.

4 Likes

“If it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”. I can see the point of ease-of-management if you are using separate self-managed containers (not addons), but if you are running HAOS and Z2M / MQTT as addons I would stick with it.

2 Likes

Also agree with the “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it” approach.

2 Likes

I am running HA in a docker container.

Then you need those containers running, because what you’re proposing is basically a full-blown zigbee integration migration if you want to use something “integrated with HA” (ZHA).

Basically, like the others said: “if it ain’t broke, don’t fix it”.

1 Like

Ok, thanks. I thought some of the functionality was integrated already in HA. I’ll keep them running, although after updating everyting, sometimes it gets broken and I need to dive into it to get it fixed.

You will have that with ZHA too

1 Like

HA has ZHA built in which provides basically the same functionality as Z2M

Many folks use one many use the other. You’re jot doing anything ‘wrong or more complicated’ it’s just using an external tool. There is a migration path but imho it won’t buy you much if any. I’d stay where you are.

4 Likes