Hack Lenovo Smart Clock to display HA Lovelace UI

Thanks to this thread, I’ve managed to get this working (personal preference: wallpanel ‘add-on’ and wallpanel app on the device, but YMMV) and have since bought 2 more as I like their compactness and the way they don’t stand out too much (for the WAF).

One thing I’m wondering though (and haven’t found an answer so far, but I might have overlooked it): is there a way to avoid the clock restarting every day?

If you set the WallPanel Android app as the default Launcher, then the device will continue to present as the Home Assistant dashboard after it restarts (looks like about 24 hours/once per day). I “tap” the device at bedtime and select the Home app (Google) so that I have an easy-to-see analog clock all night long. Sometime in the middle of the day it must reboot, and the device launches WallPanel with its small digital clock screensaver. But touching the screen brings up the Home Assistant dashboard, so all is good.

Hi everyone,
Being the author of this thread and seing how many people have been interesting in the subject + most of all having finally a way to hack this device is really good !!
I tried myself with a lenovo 2, the only question I haveis does any one knows how to obtain such a nice looking dashboard with home assistant?

The image is extracted from this very good youtube tutorial. Maybe the author of this tutorial is even someone that has posted on this thread ? who knows?

If this is really that hackable, it could be the ideal client for a fully HA powered smart assistant, complete with HA STT and TTS. Maybe even lenovo might sell stocks via nabu casa or even do a run for HA consumers.

It’s nice looking and has the mics and hardware to do STT, and much better thana generic esp32 or rpi platform.

Looks very similar to mine.

Basically, I use kibibit-dark-cards as a theme, and some card-mod to remove the edges of the cards.
End result is eg this (main view on one of mine):

The top view (weather info) has this as YAML code:

type: custom:clock-weather-card
entity: weather.here
sun_entity: sun.sun
temperature_sensor: weather.here
weather_icon_type: line
animated_icon: true
forecast_days: 5
locale: en-BE
time_format: 24
date_pattern: P
hide_today_section: false
hide_forecast_section: true
hide_clock: false
hide_date: false
card_mod:
  style: |
    ha-card {
    border: none;

2 Likes

Does anyone knows how we can possibly control the light of the lenvo smart clock 2 pad?

If its dimable I see many use cases, for example:
→ Notification when you sleep the pad lights up?
→ Slow sunrise with morning alarm
→ Night reading?
→ Night light for kids that have difficulties sleeping without any light

And again, the joy of Home Assistant. A new version and things break. Since I upgraded from 2023.6.x to 2023.7.1 the Markdown Cards down show their content anymore on the clock (using the HASS companion app). I assume the webview version is too old. Someone close to the devs that can urge them to make this work again or suggest an alternative to the Markdown Card or a way to get a more recent webview on the clock

I was really hoping for a workaround, or something fixed by clearing the app cache, but i’ve got the same problem with mushroom cards :confused:

Same problem here - my dashboards no longer work on the clock now that I am on the latest HASS version. Mushroom and Minimalist both fail.

Downgrade to Mushroom v2.8.1 make it work again. So maybe a small change in a new version of Mushroom can fix it?

Problem fixed for me with 3.0.3 of mushroom cards

I’m not using mushroom cards. It’s the markdown card for me.

I have been able to install a more modern WebView component on all of my Smart Clock 2’s.

I’ve condensed my experience with other guides, plus some of my own testing here: GitHub - ThomasPrior/LenovoSmartClock2: Root and configure a Lenovo Smart Clock 2 for use as a smart home display

9 Likes

This is such a great thread. Thanks for the great info!

I’d like to throw another suggestion into the ring for an HA management app: homehabit

Here are some sample photos of what it looks like running on the Smart Clock 2

2 Likes

What a great suggestion, I didn’t know this HomeHabit.
It seems perfect for what I want to achieve, manual control of some switches, with this Lenovo Smart Clock 2.

Can someone provide a easy to follow step by step written guide from stock until being able to install apps?
I have seen several videos but they seem not to be for home assistant but for other apps, but I may be confused.

Also, what are the differences between the ericlimer procedure of
Install any app on a Google / Lenovo Smart Clock 2 - no root or device modification required! - YouTube
and the one that thomasprior provided in "I’ve condensed my experience with other guides, plus some of my own testing here: GitHub - ThomasPrior/LenovoSmartClock2: Root and configure a Lenovo Smart Clock 2 for use as a smart home display "

It seems the first one doesn’t need changing the software/rooting, the seconds needs.
But what are the advantages and disadvantages of both methods?

Thank you to all participants of this thread!

Yes, you’ve pretty much got it. First version doesn’t give you root. Second version gives you root if you need it (but many people in this case won’t).

Root would be needed if you want to access system-level functions such as waking the device, turning on/off the screen, etc

Thank you for your answer.

I guess i might buy this and try the non root version hack.
If i want more functionality, i may go for the root.

Is there a past information of losing the hack with updates?
Should i block the access to internet or just to a specific domain?
Or i just don’t need that, they never broke the hack with an update?

yes, for this type of device, it’s always a good idea to turn off auto updates or block internet access if you can. There’s always risk of updates breaking your setup, especially for these low-powered android devices

@fmnamado

• The main difference being you can’t uninstall (disable) the built in assistant app (or any other built in app), it still locks the screen if it looses network connectivity for example.

• You are stuck with an old WebView component that does not support newer CSS. Rooting the device allows you to replace the WebView.

• You cannot assign certain permissions (draw over other apps) etc. Useful for some navigation apps that draw in top.

I would strongly recommend rooting the device if your main purpose is to use for HA.

I wouldn’t worry to much about updates since the device is EOL. WebView is chrome 80 or something so my guess is that there hasn’t been any updates for a while. If you run pihole or the likes or your local network you can block the lenovo DNS queries from resolving.

1 Like

good question. led is not listed under /sys/class/leds. Setting brightness on lcd-backlight works in terminal. red/green/blue does not do anything.

1 Like