Hacking the Harmony Home Control buttons

I have emulated hue setup and all the components/groups/scripts etc are showing up in the harmony app. I just don’t see a way to map one of the colored home control buttons to an emulated hue item. What am I missing here?

Hmm, I’m not sure I understand. Have to added the “emulated Hue” to your Harmony using the iOS/Android App?

Once you add the Hue to Harmony the “hue” devices will be availble to map to the buttons. If it’s a dimmable light you can even dim it via the remote.

Edit:
In the app
Harmony Setup --> add/edit devices/activity --> Remote and Hub --> Click on your remote name --> Click on Homwe control buttons.

Yes I have added the “emulated hue” to the Harmony using the Android app. I can see my Home Assistant devices in the Harmony App which is a good sign.

In the android app I go through the following menus which differ slightly from your sequence of menus (I don’t have the same options where we deviate)

Harmony Setup --> add/edit devices/activity --> Remote and Hub --> Harmony Smart Control --> Activity Control Buttons.

Once I am in the Activity Control Buttons section, it only lists the 6 activities associated with the long and short presses of the 3 Activity Buttons (the ones with music/tv/movie icons).

Not Activty Control buttons, you should select “Home Control Buttons”. If you dont have that, I then you dont have a “Smart Home Control” remote.

If that’s the case, I misunderstood. I dont believe you can map 'Smart control" items to non smart control remotes and expect them to work if no activty is active

This is the remote that I have:

Yeah, That one will not do what you want. As in it does not have dedicated buttons that work “outside” of activities. This is the cheapest one that does what you want. There are others that do that as well.

You could use the emulated roku to add HA stuff to Activities, which is what I used to do, but it still requires an activity to be running.

Thank you for the help. This will save me a lot of time banging my head against a problem with no solution.

Does anyone know if the Hue Emulator will allow you to add emulated lights as well, or is it only the bridge that can be emulated? My goal is to have the Harmony home control buttons trigger a HomeKit scene. If I could create a fake emulated Hue light, that I can use the Harmony to turn on and off, I could create a HomeKit automation on that light to trigger a scene.

Yes, you can add Hue lights to the emulated hue. I currently have 6 hue lights, and one zwave switch added to my emulated hue. The emulated hue is connected to my harmony and I am able to control them all with the hue home control buttons. I do have a apple tv and I do use homekit (barely), but I have a question. I see a lot of posts about creating homekit automations and triggering them via HA, my question is why? Why would you not just do it in HA? Really just curious, maybe i’m missing out. :slight_smile:

ok, question

how can you link an harmony hub to an hue (emulated)?
i always though to use smart zigbee devices with a harmony, you need an harmony remote 950 , or somekind of extension to the hub itself to control zigbee
so where is now the link then between hub and other stuff?

Sorry, you do need a harmony home control or better. Basically a remote with the dedicated home control buttons. At least you need that to be able to control HA devices without having to tie it to a harmony activity.

If you do have a home control, you just add the emulated hue hub with the harmony app, discover devices, and it finds the emulated hub, and any devices you’ve set up with the emulated hub, and them you map the devices to the home control buttons.

If you dont have a home control, I recommend you use the emulated roku, you then add the roku as a device to every activity, and map the buttons as you need. Only downside is that you have to have an activity running to be able to control the HA devices

hmm, still dont know what you mean with a home control buton?
i have the smarthub and an ultimate remote

This is the home control, it has 4 dedicated buttons to control Home Automation. Harmony right out of th box supports, Hue, Smartthings, Ecobee, etc. You can map lights to the buttons, and even dim, etc.

I dont know about the ultimate, maybe it has similiar options with the touch screen. I have a 950 which also has dedicated home control buttons, but I can do some home control with the touch screen as well

ah ok, thnx for that
dont think i have those home control buttons
and to start activity first, thats not ideal

but thnx for info

@ptdalen - Let me clarify: I am not looking at add actual Hue Lights to the Emulated Hue. I would like to add an emulated/fake Hue light, so that I can then use that to trigger HomeKit automations. For example, if I set up one of the Harmony home buttons to turn on an emulated “Fake Hue Light” bulb, I can then set up HomeKit to trigger the “Movie Night” scene when Fake Hue Light is turned on.

To answer your other question - Home Assistant is merely a means to an end for me. I already have HomeKit set up with lots of accessories. But there are a few (such as the Harmony Hub) which are not natively compatible. Home Assistant helps bridge that gap. I have an Apple home, and I like to trigger automation using Siri. You need HomeKit for that.

Ahh, got it. Well, creating a “dummy” light is easy

light:
  - platform: template
    lights:
      harmony_virtual:
        friendly_name: "Dummy Light"
        turn_on:
        turn_off:
        set_level:

then in customize.yaml

light.harmony_virtual:
  emulated_hue_hidden: false

Overall there is no reason this would not give you want you need.

Of course create the emulate hue per the documentation for you need

Awesome! Thanks for that! I’m still pretty new to Home Assistant, so it would have taken me a while to get there without some help. I’ll give this a try over the next few days and let you know how it goes.

@ptdalen - Thanks again for your help! I have Emulated Hue working and the Harmony is seeing it. But I have a small issue - Using your example, I created two dummy lights. However, only one shows up. Only the “Emulated Hue Goodnight” light is working. Any idea what I’m doing wrong?

In configuration.yaml:

light:
    lights:
      harmony_virtual_movie_night:
        friendly_name: "Emulated Hue Movie Night"
        turn_on:
        turn_off:
        set_level:

light:
    lights:
      harmony_virtual_goodnight:
        friendly_name: "Emulated Hue Goodnight"
        turn_on:
        turn_off:
        set_level:

In cusomize.yaml:

light.harmony_virtual_movie_night:

light.harmony_virtual_goodnight:
1 Like

All light platforms going inside the single light section. Not separate. All home assistant works like this. So if you double the light section, only one of them will come through because the other will get overwritten.

Secondly, the platform template only needs to be added once, and all lights that you want to add go under the lights section.

light:
    lights:
      harmony_virtual_movie_night:
        friendly_name: "Emulated Hue Movie Night"
        turn_on:
        turn_off:
        set_level:
      harmony_virtual_goodnight:
        friendly_name: "Emulated Hue Goodnight"
        turn_on:
        turn_off:
        set_level:
2 Likes

Thank you @petro! I have it working now!