HACS 2.0 - The best way to share community-made projects just got better

too many posts so not sure if this was already asked before (and thus apologies)… How long can I reject this upgrade? For as far as I see HACS only facilitates the download of custom apps. Can I just stay < 2.0 ‘forever’ ?
EDIT: the current issue with HACS is that since Feb no new repo’s are added, will 2.0 change that or is this just the front end (my guess)

2 Likes

Is there any way to dismiss the ‘Restart Required’ repairs under settings (without restarting)? I generally don’t do a restart unless there’s a bug fix or feature I want in an updated custom integration.

HACS 2.0 uses the same source for the default repositories. So no this won’t affect the backlog of unapproved custom components.

And you are free not to update to HACS 2.0

3 Likes

Yes…a good forum search is your friend here…

I assume you didn’t mean it as such, but your reply comes off a bit snarky.

I did a search (as well as reading/searching the HACS documentation) and didn’t find any solutions, although I was admittedly searching for a HACS 2.0 specific solution.

Using Spook may work (although I’ve avoided installing it thus far), but I think a better option should exist. Either include an ‘ignore’ button or have the ‘submit’ button remove it without automatically restarting HA. I have what I assume to be an average (if not below average) number of custom integrations, but it’s nearly a daily situation of an update for one being available. 99% of the time I don’t care and just want it to actually update the next time I do a core reboot.

1 Like

Seriously…
you asked a question…I was nice enough to take the time to answer and now you are telling me that I’m “a bit snarky”…to be honest not thinking much of your response either…
if you don’t want an answer maybe just don’t ask :man_shrugging:t2:

2 Likes

It’s great to see a big update to HACS.

With a third-party (albeit an important one) getting airtime on the official HA blog, does this mean HACS is now officially part of the HA ecosystem (i.e. a first-class citizen)?

I’d like to clarify this, since it’s always been considered (AFAIK) an “at your own risk” option and there’s been many occasions where it’s been pointed out that HACS isn’t supported by the core team (and it probably will remain maintained by Ludeeus). It just feels like the blog post changes this status in the way it’s written.

I have no problem with this. I’m just looking for clarification.

No, ludeeus is an admin and wrote it through the blog channel to get more eyes on it because it’s the most used custom integration.

2 Likes

Once upgraded to v2, how to disable beta mode (experimental features)?
I somehow enabled it 1/2 a year ago to take advantage of the “new” update entities (which are now default, like so many other great things).
I used this when enabling experimental features, which is not available anymore: https://experimental.hacs.xyz/docs/configuration/options

Second question: is it useful / recommended to keep driving the beta lane? Does it even continue to exist?

2 Likes

Developers love completely changing the UX and UI because they think everybody loves getting new features.

Most users hate dramatic new UI and UX changes because they no longer no where anything is or how anything works.

Seems like Home Assistant is making developers really happy by changing how everything looks feels and works recently.

As an end user I’ve been pretty ticked off lately because developers keep changing how everything looks, how everything is named, forcing me use an unnecessarily byzantine labyrinth of non intuitively named drop downs to create automations making the process take longer than it needs to.

Please for the love of god and all thats holy stop completely resigning and changing how everything works every 90 days.

7 Likes

I don’t think there are experimental features anymore, they are all integrated in HACS 2.0 now

Did you figure it out how to access them, where they were/are. Or did you move them to another place?

I don’t get it at the moment at all, what has changed/to be changed/…

http://IP:8123/local/community/apexcharts-card/apexcharts-card.js?hacstag=331701152212

is working, but

http://IP:8123/hacsfiles/apexcharts-card/apexcharts-card.js?hacstag=331701152212
ist still working

So do we have to change the resource binding or not, because in config and in UI, everywhere is still hacsfiles

But for the sources in themes, neither is working here. See question above. For the moment I moved them to www and linked from there.

I just moved the icons folder

That’s what it looks like with the experimental subdomain pages giving a 404 and “beta mode” not being mentioned anywhere.

The current config docs don’t mention them anymore too:

So

• no need to disable experimental mode (done automatically once updated to v2)
  • and the future development won’t contain a beta lane anymore.

Before (v1.34.0):

After (v2.0.0):

The Get HACS addon installer allows you to run any development branch through it’s configuration.

Good to know. That addon seems to be rather new and a very convenient way to get on board for new users. As an “old” HACS user with a working HACS (not updated yet to 2.0) I tend to not touch that addon at all :slight_smile:

fixing themes example:

cd /config/themes/caule-themes-pack-1# sed -i 's#/hacsfiles/themes/#/local/themes/#g' caule-themes-pack-1.yaml
cp -r /config/themes /config/www/

run the frontend.reload_themes action

theme updates via hacs will not update the copied files so this may brake later on, but at least this works for me right now.

@ HACS Team
please provide docu on how the new intended way for themes is.
The simple one liner The /hacsfiles/ endpoint no longer works for Themes. in the Breaking changes release notes does not help the community to understand what to do now :wink:

2 Likes

I’ve been looking at new GUI/integration with HA for a week, trying to convince myself it’s better than before… I cannot get rid of the feeling that the end-user experience got worse.
I’m aware that people might have different preferences, but I cannot imagine how the current state may be more comfortable.

HACS section:
I’m mostly interested in new updates and pending restarts. Yes, I usually update to postpone restarts for some reason.

HACS section allows filtering either one or another, but not both simultaneously. Leaving the list unfiltered (to list all available extensions) is not what I want to see.

What is the reason to list pending updates if there is no option to update?
What is the reason to list pending restarts if there is no option to restart?

Settings section
HACS-provided extensions are listed here waiting for an update. So far so good.
But the list contains no information on which updates require restart and which don’t.
If an extension requires a restart, its item disappears from this list after the update, without a word, leaving you with the impression that the update is finished (I know that there is a note on the update popup, but that’s not the point).

Edit: I found that a component waiting for the restart appears in the Repair section with the option to execute HA restart. It appears a while after the update, not immediately. Anyway, it resolves one of complaints above.

Summary
IN HACS1, information about pending updates was clean, not mixed with something else. The note about a pending restart was always on eyes, providing a restart button.
Right now it seems it’s usable in case of installing new modules or maintaining them, excluding the update process.

While there are a lot of obvious benefits from better integration with HA, I found HACS2 suffers from ergonomics in comparison to the previous iteration. I wouldn’t be surprised by the answer that those are all HA limitations, and HACS team cannot do anything with that.

1 Like

When you do an update, the pending restart moves to repairs in the main interface. In fact you can use the main interface for both the update and repair, never even touching hacs.

2 Likes

You know if it is going to require a restart, because integrations require a restart and lovelace elements do not. Not sure about templates.