HACS 20.7 - An error ocoured while prosessing [Errno 13] Permission denied: 'configuration.py'

After getting HACS installed and letting it sync to the repo, the 1st thing it flagged was an update from 20.7 to 20.8. SO I went in, clicked update and within a minute this popped up:

An error ocoured while prosessing
[Errno 13] Permission denied: ‘configuration.py’
ACKNOWLEDGE

2020-01-21 17:53:38 WARNING (MainThread) [homeassistant.loader] You are using a custom integration for hacs which has not been tested by Home Assistant. This component might cause stability problems, be sure to disable it if you do experience issues with Home Assistant.
2020-01-21 18:10:18 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: SSL error in data received
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/asyncio/sslproto.py”, line 526, in data_received
ssldata, appdata = self._sslpipe.feed_ssldata(data)
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/asyncio/sslproto.py”, line 207, in feed_ssldata
self._sslobj.unwrap()
File “/usr/lib/python3.7/ssl.py”, line 767, in unwrap
return self._sslobj.shutdown()
ssl.SSLError: [SSL: KRB5_S_INIT] application data after close notify (_ssl.c:2609)
2020-01-21 18:10:18 ERROR (MainThread) [hacs.repository.integration.hacs.integration] Download was not complete.
2020-01-21 18:10:44 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: SSL error in data received
self._sslobj.unwrap()
ssl.SSLError: [SSL: KRB5_S_INIT] application data after close notify (_ssl.c:2609)
2020-01-21 18:10:45 ERROR (MainThread) [hacs.repository.integration.hacs.integration] Download was not complete.
2020-01-21 20:15:48 ERROR (MainThread) [homeassistant.core] Error doing job: SSL error in data received
self._sslobj.unwrap()
2020-01-21 20:15:49 ERROR (MainThread) [hacs.repository.integration.hacs.integration] Download was not complete.
2020-01-21 20:22:12 ERROR (MainThread) [hacs.repository.integration.hacs.integration] Download was not complete.
2020-01-21 20:22:58 ERROR (MainThread) [hacs.repository.integration.hacs.integration] Download was not complete.

Any ideas? I ended up manually upgrade to 20.8, but I’d still like to know what caused this in order to prevent it from happening again.

Hello. I have a same/similar problem. Everything is same except permission denied file, i.e. my error message is [Errno 13] Permission denied: ‘const.py’.

I am on Archlinux amd64 desktop (this is my home server which is anyway turned on whole day, so because of this I didn’t want to use RPI) and I installed HA from Arch official Community repo, with pacman -S home-assistant

My config directory is located in /var/lib/hass
My HACS directory is located in /var/lib/hass/custom_components/hacs/
Problematic const.py file is located in /var/lib/hass/custom_components/hacs/const.py

HA version is: 0.104.2-1
HACS version is: master

I even tried dirty workaround to change permissions for const.py to 777 (i.e. rwxrwxrwx), restarted home-assistant service, but still got permssion denied.

I’m not new to Linux, using it ~15 years, but I’m very new to HA. Was someone has similar problem and how to solve it?

Thanks.

I had a similar problem. It was impossible to update hacs because a permission denied.
I solved it by adjusting the owner of the directories (using home assistant on raspbian)
With the command, inside the configuration directory,
ls -l
I noticed that the owner of the directory “custom_components”, was “root”, instead of “homeassistant”, then I changed it with the command
sudo chown -R homeassistant:homeassistant ./custom_components
Then my problem was solved

3 Likes

What a failed by me :slight_smile: I didn’t noticed at all that root:root is owner of my custom_components dir :slight_smile:
Thanks a lot, dude.

I had exactly the same problem -any idea what causes this?

How do I navigate to check the directory paths and owners?

I have an unsupervised docker installation so I don’t have the add on store to install the terminal add on.

I have the same permissions error reported in this thread and I want to check the owner of the HACS custom_components directory to ensure that it’s homeassistant instead of root.

The problem of permission denied when using Home Assistant Core used to be caused because you are not using the appropiate user.

You should be in your python venv and you should use homeassitant user, doing:

sudo -u homeassistant -H -s