HACS auto updates - did I miss something?

Hey, since a while HACS looks different and it seems to auto update where before I used to tick “update” per item…

Did I miss something? This is what it looks like now and I did not give a go to update the last week:

This is experimental mode.
You have likely clicked the experimental features checkbox at start-up.
Experimental features button for HACS give you:

• A much better search function
  • You no longer have to read pages & pages of offering git repo ‘ads’ to find something
  • Better visibility on the offerings you have selected and what is available
  • Access to the custom template offerings not available in the old interface
  • An easy reload button for the offerings if you think something has gone wonky with them
  • The updates show up in HA with all the OS and addon updates so you know there is a thing to do with your offering

In addition, when the V2 version is released, you will be able to help your navigationally challenged friends figure out what happened.
Or you can turn it off by unchecking the box and rebooting (I don’t recommend turning it off).

3 Likes

If I already have HACS installed, can I manually switch to this new version now?

Yup, flip experimental mode on. restart.

Yes… but where is this flip? Looking at HACS I don’t see it…
Nevermind! found it - for anyone else wondering, go into integrations → HACS and turn it on from there

1 Like

Even in experimental mode, HACS does not auto update things. You must have an automation that auto updates update entities.

1 Like

I am sure I have no automation… I do all automation in node red…

I have 1 blueprint automation “update notifications” but that never (did) update anything automatically…

Well HACS does not automatically update anything, neither does home assistant (with the exception of Supervisor).

1 Like

It seems that (according to ludeeus)

The “updated” is when the repository was updated on GitHub, not on my instance.

Yes, it’s when the repo has a newer version than you have installed. Also the update screen displays there is an update ready in the HA dashboard next to the other updates for you to start.

Ok, but the “updated” on github is not at all in sync with my instance updates…

Updated does not always mean the rev was changed by the author.
When the author does a new release, then it will show up in the home assistant.Updates list next to add-on updates, core updates, and such.
You are just seeing things that you didn’t know were happening before.

It sure is confusing… for users

Bring that up with the HACS author. It is a custom integration.

I did, see above

This is the HACS source code repository: GitHub - hacs/integration: HACS gives you a powerful UI to handle downloads of all your custom needs.

git allows to develop code on many “branches” at the same time – meaning: you can “independently” develop many features at once. Once you decide that the feature is ready, you merge the branch into the master/main/dev branch (meaning: it’s the “accepted change”).

You can see all the “accepted to main” commits (“changes”) here: Commits · hacs/integration · GitHub

As you can see, something was accepted as recently as yesterday.

BUT, not all changes appear in HA instantly. For that, one has to make a “release”. When you make a release, you mark a specific git commit with a “tag”.

You can see the list of tags here: Tags · hacs/integration · GitHub

As you can see, the latest “release” / “tag” is from january: Release 1.34.0 · hacs/integration · GitHub

That means, that some of the changes are “accepted” to the “main” branch, but the HACS author hasn’t decided yet to “publish” them / “release” them.

You can compare what’s not “yet” released like this: Comparing 1.34.0...main · hacs/integration · GitHub

As you can see, that’s quite a few changes… One can only assume that so many changes may require a lot of testing before being published/released.

1 Like

IE:

Look at the dashboard updates handling screens,
Actual things you need to update will show up there. (When using experimental mode)

alias: Install HACS updates automatically
description: Automatically install all available updates for HACS integration entities.
trigger:
  - platform: template
    value_template: >-
      {{ expand(integration_entities('hacs')) | selectattr('domain', 'eq',
      'update') | selectattr('state', 'eq', 'on') | list | length > 0 }}
condition:
  - condition: template
    value_template: >
      'update') | selectattr('state', 'eq', 'on') | list | length > 0 }}
action:
  - action: update.install
    target:
      entity_id: >
        'update') | selectattr('state', 'eq', 'on') | map(attribute='entity_id')
        | list }}
mode: single

Recently added code to trigger an Watchtower update http api rest command to update the Home Assistant docker container upon security Disarm. When there is a container update available, home assistant will be restarted.

HACS updates are now auto installed. Perfect. But I still need a sensor to help determine if pending updates require restart As a workaround, create an input_boolean that switches on during update and turns off at start up