HACS can't update or install new repos, and has disappeared from Integrations

Some time ago I noticed that I got errors updating HACS. I poked around and could not resolve it, so I figured I’d deal with it later.

Today I was interested in using HACS to install a new repo, but it silently failed with out any information except for this log entry:

Download was not completed [timeout() got an unexpected keyword argument 'loop']

While searching around for a solution (other folks have seen this error), I noticed that my HACS integration is not visible under the Integrations tab. I flushed the browser cache, but it’s still not there.

The weird thing is that I still have the “Community” side bar link, so I can get to HACS that way. But the Integration entry is gone.

Based on some other posts I tried a manual reinstall of HACS using this command line:

wget -O - https://get.hacs.xyz | bash -

But when I try to add the HACS Integration I get an error indicating that there can only be a single instance of HACS. Since this reinstall attempt nuked my downloaded HACS repos, I retreated by restoring from a backup.

So I’m in some sort of zombie state where HACS “works”, as long as I don’t want to change anything, but it’s effectively invisible and I cannot repair or reinstall it.

In case it helps I’m running Home Assistant OS on an RPi. I’m stuck on HA 2022.3.7 for the moment due to unrelated problems migrating off the legacy Z-Wave integration to Z-Wave JS. In fact my desire to install Watchman to help deal with that disaster is what landed me here…

Any ideas?

Can you navigate to http://yourhomeassistant:8123/hacs/entry

Yes. It’s basically the same page as is provided by the “Community” side bar link.

Ahhhh the instruction! Prerequisites | HACS

Wow! I had no idea that they require such a new version of HA! Thanks for pointing that out.

As mentioned, I need to migrate off of the legacy Z-Wave integration before I can upgrade. But I’m making progress on that.

Once done I’ll update HA (assuming there are no other breaking changes) and then see if I can update HACS.

Anything you can install via HACS, you can install manually.

Finally getting back to this. What I ended up doing was the following:

• Updated to HA 2022.9.1.
  • Backed up the hacs install to a tar file (just in case):
cd config/custom_components/
tar -czf hacs.tgz hacs/
  • Restarted HA
  • Installed HACS again (the default URL did not work):
cd ..
wget -O - https://raw.githubusercontent.com/hacs/get/main/get | bash -
  • Restarted HA again

At this stage HACS is up-to-date and available via the “Community” side bar link. It still does not show up as an integration under the main Integrations page. I don’t know why that is, but it’s perhaps not that important given that I can get to it via the sidebar just fine.

Hi all,

I’m running 2022.9 and just installed HACS today. Front end and items in the repos load fine however I’m trying to add a custom repo for another integration.

Following the instructions , I can get to the menu options and click ‘Add custom repo’ however the dial shown (image attached) has no where for me to paste in a URL…
I’m not sure why there are repos shown in this dialog as well as this is a new HACS install and I haven’t installed any custom ones before.

Can any shed any light as to why the UI wont allow me to add in a URL and why some would only be shown? is this expected?

Thanks

scroll to the bottom.

Hi Nick,

I had… :slight_smile: Turns out it was an issue with the browser, switched to chrome and the controls to add a repo worked. Weird safari bug I guess.

I also did a reinstall on HACS to be sure, it still had 2 custom integrations by default but the other 3 had gone so no idea where they came from. It seems to be working now though so happy with that.