HACS (Home Assistant Community Store)

Hi,
just want an explanation on this store, why its deferents from the official one?
are the integration there will sometime move to the official store? how thing works?
its complicate, there is a plan to migrate everything to the same store accessible without GitHub account and more straight forward approach ?

There is no official store so I am not sure what you are asking.

There is an “app store” it doesn’t charge, in what was HASS.IO/ now Home assistant, there isn’t an equivalent in home assistant core, HACS serves this purpose. The HASS.IO store is more curated, HACS has a bigger variation of stuff.

Tim

Wrong. I think you are thinking of the add-on store. This caters to a completely different space to hacs.

Add-ons are where you want your home-asssistant (hassio in old speak) to run a programme other than ha core, eg ssh.

HACS provides extensions to home assistant core, like:

• integrations, eg adding new sensors etc
  • plugins, which add new lovelace cards
  • themes, self explantory
  • appdaemon apps
  • python scripts

HACS is equally applicable in core or hassio.

2 Likes

@nickrout is correct. The add-ons you see in the supervisor page supplement home assistant. These are only available in home assistant, not home assistant core. They are not integrations.

Integrations interface home assistant with different hardware and software. These are built into home assistant and are maintained by the home assistant team.

So, what happens when you want to build your own integration? What happens when you don’t want to conform to home assistants coding standards? This is where HACS comes into play.

Everything in HACS is unofficial. HACS is a community driven place where all custom integrations reside. They will only become official when the developer of these ‘custom’ items decides to put them into home assistant.

The only official store that is equivalent to HACS is the configuration->integration page.

This will never happen because home assistant does not maintain the custom integrations. That’s up to the developer of the integration.

2 Likes

@petro (as usual) provides a much better answer than me, but maybe he wasn’t writing on a bloody android screen :slight_smile: