HADashboard and screen resolution (Fire hd7" vs hd8")

Hi! After some tweaking I got a dashboard which works really nice on a Fire HD7. Since It did really worked well, I bought another Fire but this time a HD8. Since the bigger one has a better resolution (1280x800 on 8" and 1024x600 on 7") I thought that my dashboard would fit the hd8 with some spare space, but instead it was the opposite! The image below shows what happened:

The widget sizes was defined as:

widget_dimensions: [122, 115]
widget_size: [1, 1]
widget_margins: [4, 4]

At first it puzzled me, but the docs offer a explanation:

“the unit height and width of the individual widgets in pixels. Note that the absolute size is not too important as on tablets at least the browser will scale the page to fit. What is more important is the aspect ratio of the widgets as this will affect whether or not the dashboard completely fills the tablets screen.”

So, hd7 has a 1.7 ratio (1024/600) and hd8 has a 1.6 ratio (1280/800). So it seems that hd8 is “narrower” than hd7!

So… is there a way to use the absolute size or at least to adjust the dashboard to different devices without have to recreate all the dashboards? Ty!

if you want to use the same dashboards on both devices, then you need to make the widget width smaller.
you get everything on the hd8 and some extra space on the hd7

but in general dashboard is created to make wallpanels.
and a wallpanel in the kichen normally doesnt have the same function as the one in the bedroom or the one in the living room.

i have also different kind of tablets. 10 inch withscreen, 10 inch normal, 7 inch
i create dashboards for all of them, specific for that device.

you did want to use the hd8 with some extra space anyway.
so copy your hd7 dashboards and call them name_hd8.dash
then you can change columns to optimize your space (more columns will avoid the zooming effect)

it will probably also work if you just add columns to your existing dashboards. the hd7 wont be able to show them and the hd8 will pick them up.

hm… nice ideia. Thanks. So perhaps just adding spacer widgets on a extra column should do the trick!

you probably dont even need to add the spacers, when you make the column amount bigger.
but thats something you need to try.