HADashboard in IOS 5.1.1

Any update on socksjs? I’m running hassio so I guess I’ll just have to sit tight for the time being, running a vm with a modified docker image is a bit too much effort right now.

I’m really interested too about an update regarding socksjs and iPad 1.

For anyone else having issues, a temporary (though potentially tedious) workaround that I used is to create scripts that toggle your lights or switches. You wont have states, but using these instead of the entities themselves makes the ipad usable. For anything else adding the refresh button will have to do.

or add an autorefresh option to the head from the used skin.

Good call. adding :

head_includes: 
  - <meta http-equiv="refresh" content="3600">

to the top of my variables.yaml took care of any need I have to refresh the page

1 Like

Kaazing gateway between hadashbord and appdaemon + little modifications of appdaemon code to route websockets = full functional hadashboard on ipad first gen

Hi @Buterbrott, I have no idea what you mean but the result sounds good. Are you able to explain a little more in detail to help out?

I’ll try to explain. Ipad first has old protocol for websockets - draft-76. Appdaemon doesn’t support this protocol. So we need something to convert old websocket messages to new protocol. I found Kaazing Gateway (KGW) for this purpose. I have installed KGW in separate docker container and configured it to route websoсkets between inbound port and appdaemon websoсket client. I have cloned Appdaemon repository, changed websocket url in Hadashboard code for the new one from KGW. But there was a new problem. KGW converts websocket messages to binary format (blob). Ipad and Appdaemon don’t support blob messages, so i had to change Hadashboard websocket client library to the Kaazing Javascript Client and change Appdaemon websocket server code to support blob messages. It took me several nights without sleep, but now everything works fine )

1 Like

It sounds like you’ve put in quite a lot of work and effort! Well done. Is this something that could be used by someone with far less knowledge than yourself, or is it a complex installation process? I do run docker containers (via Synology gui), but my skills are very much limited…

I’ll try to make docker image for corrected Appdaemon, and write installation tutorial

1 Like

So, some more non-sleeping nights and easy solution was found. I wrote simple proxy based on node.js and faye-websocket library. You can install it on Synology from docker image buterbrott/websocket-proxy. It has environment variables:

WS_PROXY_PORT  = port of websocket-proxy ( 8080 )
WS_PROXY_OUTBOUND_URL  = your Appdaemon stream url ( ws://192.168.1.100:5050/stream )

Also you should install Appdaemon from docker image buterbrott/appdaemon. In appdaemon.yaml configuration file section Hadashboard should be new parameter ws_proxy_url: url of installed websocket-proxy

hadashboard:
  ws_proxy_url: ws://192.168.1.100:8080

That’s all

1 Like

Hi Buterbrott, i am trying to use my ipad gen 1 to show HADashboard, but right now i can’t find the buterbrott/websocket-proxy addon. Have you excluded it? Thanks in advance, best regards

Hi! It’s not an addon, it’s an image for docker

1 Like

Hi man, thanks in advance.
Actually, i found an easier way to use the original and updated appdaemon and Hadashboard.
We just need to add in appdaemon.yaml the “transport: socketio” before the URL

Like this:

token:
http:
transport: socketio
url: http://:5051$HOSTNAME
admin:
api:
hadashboard:

Hope this helps someone

Hi guys

Sorry if I’m being too noobie here. I’m running AppDaemon 4.0.8 - which I’ve installed using the add-ons GUI on the Home Assistant Supervisor on the Raspberry Pi.

I’ve tried the “transpor: socketio” method inside the YAML, under “http” and “hadashboard” sections, and n the dash file with no result whatsoever on the iPad 1 iOS 5.1.1. It keeps showing me a black screen with widgets empty as blank translucid squares. I’ve gone through AppDaemon documentation and forced dashboards to recompile.

I do appologize again if it’s a basic question, but I have no clue of what I’m doing wrong. Anyone?

You are running the latest version of this add-on.
System: Home Assistant OS 5.13 (armhf / raspberrypi)
Home Assistant Core: 2021.4.5
Home Assistant Supervisor: 2021.04.0

transport: socketio
belongs to the http section.

and if you got any custom widgets then you need to remove those, because custom widgets can cause this. (same with custom skins that have js code in it)

Yes, that’s true. But at least i can use it with the first gen ipad. I think it’s a good workaround for this old tablet

EDIT: also, i am usin UC Browser on ipad ios 5.1.1, which you can download at APPLE Primeira Geração: Aplicativos Apps para iPad 1 Primeira Geração (1st Gen) - iOS 5.1.1

1 Like

How do you install the ‘original appdaemon’ (v3?) in hass.io?

AD 4 is just as original as AD 3 :wink:
and as far as i know the AD 3 addon has been removed a year ago.

I installed as a docker, the normal way