Hank motion sensor (HKZW-MS02) unknown type

Hi,

I just picked up a couple of the Hank Motion Sensors (HKZW-MS02) on black friday and they have left me scratching my head.

I’m running hassio on a r pi 3b+ with Aeotec Gen 5 Z-Wave stick, inclusion worked fine and they sensor is working (the sensor shows ‘8’ when motion detected) but it has not identified as a binary sensor and I can’t modify the device in the z-wave control panel as it’s unknown.

The device is listed in hass as “hank unknown type=0300 id=12” and after some searching I noticed the HKZW-MS02 is actually defined in the manager specific Open Z-Wave config (link below). However, there it is listed with the wrong type number:

The question is, is there anything I can do to make hass understand it’s a binary sensor?

Any help or tips would be appreciated.

Cheers,

Ed

There are often multiple version of the same product. 0200/0012 is just a different version. OpenHAB also knows about 0201/0012. If this is the same product, 0300 is just a new version and you would just need to update the manfacturer_specific.xml and add a copy of the highlighted line with type="0300" instead.

You could test this by updating your local copy of the manufacture_specific.xml file. It’s part of the pyozw install. Mine is a virtualenv, located at /home/homeassistant/.pyenv/versions/3.6.3/envs/homeassistant-3.6.3/lib/python3.6/site-packages/python_openzwave/ozw_config/manufacturer_specific.xml.

The entity registry makes things a little tricky. You’d have to modify the zwcfg*.xml and do some sort of change to the registry files in order to get it updated. But if you made the change and removed the node entry from zwcfg*.xml, after a restart it should be filled in with the correct names. HA might not be updated however.

If it works, consider making a pull request to OZW with your change.

Also, I don’t think you’re going to get a binary sensor entity out of that device even if you address the XML problem. At most you are going to get new options in the Z-Wave control panel to set configuration parameters and do group assocations.

Thanks for answering! I don’t have a need for group associations at the moment so not sure how much the effort of messing with the config would be worth.

You wouldn’t have any tips on how to make a custom binary sensor based on the values of the device would you? At rest (no motion) the value is 0, on motion the value is 8. I feel like it should be able to be done, I just need pointing in the right direction.

Thanks again!

This is what I use for my doors, which are similar.

configuration.yaml:

binary_sensor: !include_dir_merge_list binary_sensor/

binary_sensors/doors.yaml

- platform: template
  sensors:
    garage_entry_door_alarm:
      friendly_name: "Garage Entry Door Sensor Alarm"
      device_class: door
      value_template: "{{ is_state('sensor.garage_entry_door_sensor_access_control', '22') }}"

The values of the access_control sensors are 23 when closed, 22 when open.

1 Like

Brilliant, thanks so much!

Created a PR so the device will be added:

1 Like