Haos 10.0 broke my ethernet connection

I foolishly updated to Haos 10.0 as my Cloudfared plugin mentioned I am on an old version (and there were some things not running well).

Under Haos 9.5 everything was very fine, the network card in my MiniPC was recognized, installation went easy.

After upgrading to Haos 10.0 I got no connection - after attaching a monitor I found out two things:

1. The machine doesn´t get an IP address - trying to enable the interface enp2s0 gives me the error that there isn´t a carrier. Duh, one hour ago this setup worked flawlessly. Trying to disbale/enable that interface didn´t work. No other interface is shown from “net info”.

2. Timeout error on synchronizing the kernel time (probably related to 1)!?

It´s an NiPoGi GK3 Plus with an Intel N95 processor - don´t know the exact network chipset though. In the BIOS it just says “Realtek PCIe GBE Family” (Driver version 2.059 from 2022/06/17).

Anyone can give me some hints on how to enable the network card in my MiniPC again?

Update 1:

As Nick suggested I used a USB stick to boot Ubuntu Live system and made some tests.

The Ethernet chip is a Realtek 8168 and guess what “ethtool enp2s0 -i” brought up:

driver: r8169
version: 5.19.0-21-generic
firmware-version: rtl8168h-2_0.0.2 02/26/15
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:02:00.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: no
supports-eeprom-access: no
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: no

That sounds like the wrong driver has been loaded!? Is that correct? How to install the “real” driver on Haos?

Booting from a linux usb flash drive would tell you more.

Like what? Using a current Ubuntu/Debian distro the network card works quite fine. Also with Haos 9.5.

Do you have recommendations on what to check specifically?

What the ethernet chip is, what driver it uses.

Update 1:

As Nick suggested I used a USB stick to boot Ubuntu Live system and made some tests.

The Ethernet chip is a Realtek 8168 and guess what “ethtool enp2s0 -i” brought up:

driver: r8169
version: 5.19.0-21-generic
firmware-version: rtl8168h-2_0.0.2 02/26/15
expansion-rom-version:
bus-info: 0000:02:00.0
supports-statistics: yes
supports-test: no
supports-eeprom-access: no
supports-register-dump: yes
supports-priv-flags: no

That sounds like the wrong driver has been loaded!? Is that correct? How to install the “real” driver on Haos?

My final solution is/was:

I reinstalled 9.5 again - luckily I had a recent backup as I updated core just before the OS.

Next time before updating OS I will create a bootable USB stick first and test out if the kernel supports my ethernet chipset.

With 9.5 I have zero issues. Good luck to everyone else - major hit in my confidence level if Homeassistant is the right way to go.

1 Like

I don’t know the answer but was curious, so after googling around, it kinda sounds like realtek develops drivers for their chipsets, but not necessarily developed/tested for a specific linux kernels so it may or may not work. I came across the following article that highlights your problem, unfortunately it doesn’t cover how to install for HAOS:

1 Like

Lesson in general: Intel good, realtek bad.

1 Like

It sounds a lot like this issue where after a kernel update network stops working on N95 + Realtek.

Seems to be a very N95 specific bug.

1 Like