HAOS random restarts when running on Proxmox

I talked too fast …

Aug 24 13:14:10 supervised kernel: [ 2551.678612] hassio: port 7(veth2c972ed) entered disabled state
Aug 24 13:14:10 supervised kernel: [ 2551.679087] veth02d46b3: renamed from eth0
Aug 24 13:14:10 supervised kernel: [ 2551.726743] hassio: port 7(veth2c972ed) entered disabled state
Aug 24 13:14:10 supervised kernel: [ 2551.727993] device veth2c972ed left promiscuous mode
Aug 24 13:14:10 supervised kernel: [ 2551.727999] hassio: port 7(veth2c972ed) entered disabled state
Aug 24 13:15:59 supervised 92d3bc96b29f[361]: [13:15:59] [172.30.32.2][6bdd6c22][ExtensionHostConnection] <358> Extension Host Process exited with code: 0, signal: null.
Aug 24 13:16:00 supervised 92d3bc96b29f[361]: [13:16:00] [172.30.32.2][894303d0][ManagementConnection] The reconnection short grace time of 5m has expired, so the connection will be disposed.

This is exactly what I got in /var/log/messages before loosing the frontend for some time…

IT started to be really unusable, I tried the following with no success:

• Removing HTTPS, and use just HTTP
  • Remove the telegram
  • Use DHCP or Fixed IP
  • Used HAOS or Supervised installation
  • Changed the network card type from Proxmox
  • Now I am trying not using Postgres for the recorder it didnt happen yet…

Edit: The postgres 14.4 installation is on a LXC running alpine…

Have you tried the PVE edge kernel?

Hi would like to update again that I’m still having the same issues of restarts. I’m not sure if there is a link that this happens if I utilise 4 cores (all) as by default the script to install uses 2.

I might want to try to migrate to esxi to see if it fixes. There is some discussion on N5105 and PVE.

I updated to the Edge kernel yesterday, and so far is going well, at least for now… but I desisted using HAOS, I went to supervised installation, so I could control myself the OS…

For total control, run Home Assistant Container. It’s the method I chose. I feel like the Supervised method is more trouble than it’s worth, now and in the future.

1 Like

uhmm I thought on that but that would be already too much control for my little time :slight_smile: but I though even in using a LXC for it but… uhmm Add-ons are just comfortable to me… :blush:

Your root cause to stability issues is actually Proxmox and problems with the N5105 series CPUs. I had similar problems with the N5095 cpu stability that started with Proxmox moving to kernerl 5.15.x, but mine resolved by updating the microcode in proxmox. I was struggling with instability issues since June timeframe, and couldnt keep things running for a day, until I was able to track down the below thread.

See this proxmox thread for details, some folks are reporting better stability with proxmox on 5.19 kernels and the latest microcode - VM freezes irregularly | Proxmox Support Forum

I have the same problem with HAOS in VM on Proxmox or Just HAOS on Intel N5105, I try all’ above suggestion with out fix the random restart.
On a mini PC with N5095 no issues.
Now I would like to try on Proxmox the Home Assistant container and use separate containers for the following addon :

• file editor
  • mosquitto broker
  • zigbee2mqtt
  • influxdb
  • grafana
  • glances
  • samba share
    Please who can help me for above containers installation and configuration?

Thanks in advance

Have a look here: https://tteck.github.io/Proxmox/

Same. MiniPC GK3V with Intel N5105.
Everyday restarts. I noticed this only two weeks later, when I added a card with lastboot.

Have you tried the newest kernel?

2 Likes

Haven’t tried anything yet, just found it. I was very upset, because I already organized a lot of entities and everything works the way it suits me. I’ll start making backups and try this option, thanks for the tip.

Thanks a lot, I’m using your valuable linke. Great jobs. Thanks a lot.

Hi.

Everything has been working stably for 2 days now, I conclude that the kernel update helped solve this problem. I didn’t even have to change anything, all my settings were saved!

I wanted to thank you at the Co-Fi service, but I’m getting a payment error bcs I’m from rus and paypal limits the payment options. As soon as the opportunity arises, I will definitely buy you coffee. For your work with scripts, and a great dark theme for proxmox. I like her very much. Thank you.

2 Likes

After rebooting 2-4 times in one hour in NUC PC, the β€œedge kernel” resolved the issue 100%. Thanks for support!

1 Like

After ~8 days of stable work, after proxmox system reboot, same issue…

I suggest trying the opt-in kernel from Proxmox as well as utilizing the most recent processor microcode.

Alternatively, you can proceed with utilizing Proxmox VE 8.

1 Like

Looks like need a subscription for updates. Any free alternatives to proxmox for running HA?

Proxmox Post Install Configuration

Proxmox VE is free

1 Like