Harbor Breeze ceiling fan control

According to the FCC ID on the back of my remote, the Harbor Breeze remote runs at a frequency of 304MHz. I see a lot of really cool (and cheap!) outlet control in the 433MHz range. Wondering if anyone has a line on a receiver/transmitter pair that work at 304MHz? My google foo has let me down on this.
BTW, shout out to Ben for another awesome and informative video:

1 Like

I looked long and hard also. Sadly, I don’t think the 304 radios are available in breakout boards like the 315/433 are. It would be fantastic if someone would develop one!

I think I found the chip that is used by digging through the FCC codes. I have a friend that is a HAM radio freak, and I bought a handful of the 315/433 radios, and a spare remote for the fan. if we can hack the board to make the radio work at 304 (probably unlikely) that would be cool. Failing that, I’ll try to use the remote to recreate the function on a breadboard, and then tie that into the GPIO of the pi.
I will let you know how we make out.

2 Likes

@house97 - have you made any progress on this. I am using the same remote and I couldn’t find any receiver/transmitters for 304Mhz.

Dave Houston’s old site (https://www.laser.com/dhouston/learn.html) mentions that Radiotronix RCR-315-RP (Mouser P/N 509-RCR-315-RP) can be tuned from 300-330MHz, however, I am unable to find this radio anywhere.

I would love to collaborate with you if you are making any progress.

@ashgupta I’ve been greatly hampered by some health issues, but I hope to at least have some idea of where this is going within a few days.

I am looking to add voice control to my harbor breeze fan that has an RF remote. I bought a device called a Sonoff bridge, but it only controls frequencies in the 433 range.

I thought it was possible to change the frequency of the fan and it’s remote, can I not change it to this range? I am a total newb at this so if you can explain it like I am 5… :slight_smile:

Ariana, the short answer is no. The harbor breeze fan remotes operate in the 304MHz range, same as most car remotes.
I haven’t touched anything having to do with this in about a year due to some health issues. Having lived with the harbor breeze fans an additional year, I’m not sure if I will. There’s no way to provide feedback, so let’s say I hack something together whereby hass can tell the fan to turn onto low based on some automation trigger. The remote cannot know if the fan did or did not.
When I get around to it, I’ll probably either upgrade my fans to something that supports Z Wave (if such fans exist) or use an Insteon FanLinc.

Hard to believe no solution exists. :confused:
Well, maybe after CES, fingers crossed. Thanks!

monitor current draw?

FYI, I am planning to create a remote for this fan using a pi zero and a hacked remote. It runs at 304MHz and uses the HT12E/HT12D xmit/recv pair. Replacing the whole thing might be easier. You can still find the HT12E at Newark for $1.25 US and Jameco for $1.75 US. The remotes are available under $20 at Amazon or eBay, etc. Probably a lot less hassle to go this route.

The pi zero might even fit inside the original remote but would require a wall wart to get enough power to keep it going for more than a few hours as opposed to the remote alone which will keep battery for many years.

Can a Wemos D1 Mini be used to control the remote through home assistant (I know a Wemos can directly be soldered to the pins on the remote, I just don’t know about adding to home assistant and then homekit) or directly control the box that the remote talks to?