Hardware recommendations for whole house energy consumption monitor

Has anyone tried this CircuitSetup Split Single Phase Whole House meter kit? Do you like it? Or have a better alternative?

1 Like

Not that one, but have been looking at a 4 channel alternative.

Got the Iotawatt recently for a Christmas present. One of those things where I was asked for a direct link to since I am ‘hard to buy for’. Of course I was really excited to open it and no one else in the room had a clue what I was talking about. Anyways…

This thing is incredible and addictive. It’s so granular and configurable but at the same time not too far from plug and play. So I haven’t used anything else, but I can’t recommend this enough. Plus the support from both the forum for it and the developer/moderator is phenomenal.

That said, it’s not cheap to buy the unit, buy the CTs and then buy some good quality 3.5mm splitters (combiners in this case) to cover all of your circuits. It’s worth it though.
Enough so that I have two more breaker boxes that I plan to get kits for in the future as budget allows.

Definitely worth considering.

Edit: I just took a look at the one you linked to and the graph output looks the same as the IotaWatt if one was to just monitor the mains. Since you said you are looking for whole house anyways, for the price, that one looks really tempting.

I went with the Emporia Vue given the price point, out of the box UI, HACS integration, and the ability to convert it to a local setup later (see the vids on youtube).

My parents have been trying to track down seemingly random energy spikes on their farm and that’s the one I’ve been looking at for them. Price is hard to beat.

Yeah, it was a pleasant surprise. I have three of them for my different sub panels…

1 Like