Hardwired Redo or Wireless Upgrade: Seeking Guidance on the Best Path Forward

Cross-post from r/homeassistant. I am OP.

I’m currently facing issues with my aging HAI OmniPro II automation system, which is entirely hardwired and is on the fritz. I have a robust wiring setup covering every window and door and numerous hardwired sensors, from motion and glass breaks to water and proximity sensors.

I’m at a crossroads and am considering whether it’s better to stick with my existing infrastructure with a new hardwired system, switch to a wireless security system, or piece together my security through my HA setup. While wireless systems offer convenience, I’m concerned about maintaining the reliability and security of my setup. While converting everything to wireless devices is in the cards, I don’t want to do that unnecessarily.

Additionally, I need to figure out how to power and monitor my smoke detectors.

Of course, all of this needs to fall under the “Works with Home Assistant” requirement.

I would be grateful to any of you who could weigh in with any guidance on either direction. Thanks in advance for your help!

If the sensors and wiring are still ok I would reuse them connected to some other method of getting inputs into HA. Hard-wired is much less maintenance and more reliable.

Not sure what is available “off-the-shelf” but there are many DIY possibilities. e.g. ESPHome with an MCP23017 i/o expander (or two).

I have a mix of zigbee and hard-wired. The hard-wired sensors never need battery replacements - but my-word! Dragging all that alarm cable under the house and in the roof was a PITA. You already have it installed!

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I’d love to find a modern-day hardwired “brain” out there I could re-wire to, off-the-shelf, as you say. Unfortunately hardwirede’s just not where today’s development is, it seems.

Look at konnected

It is hardwired. I got this but never set up. It looks good however and price and features seem good

1 Like

I will, thank you for this recommendation.