Hass frontend crashes every day

That’s a pain. I’m having this same problem, and haven’t been able to find any logs from before the crash. Really really annoying >:(

Does the new 2021.4.0 update fix this issue?

Very unlikley as it appears to be an issue in the OS, not Home Assistant Core.

I removed the Google Cast integration and it’s working great! I would try that, for those interested :slight_smile:

Update: Crashed Again after about a week. No errors in the log :confused:

Glad to read I’m not the only one experiencing issues. Since a couple of weeks on my RPi4 with SD regular crashes (every couple of days). Then I finally got it running on an SSD with ZHA back up ad running. Since about 1 week daily crashes. After cold start everything works great. Next morning crashed again.
Just moved back from SSD to SD now and hope to have less crashes…
All info on getting this fixed would be great. It worked great since half December when I moved to HASS but since a couple of weeks a lot of problems.
Maybe the new database?
Also see the backups growing fast in size. Disabled MQTT because I don’t use it but to no avail for now.

Giving this a go thank

Hi. I have the same problem. I will really be interested in a solution!

There is no fix yet, yesterday on The morning all my frontend dies, (i restarted and it does nothing) but The backend still alive.

Exact same issue here. I’m using a 2nd raspberry just to access HA front end but it crashes regularly.
Thought it was a bad power supply and change it but it is not.

Thanks for the tip for the downgrade, will definitely try it.

I’m having a similar problem, but it only seems to happen when my entire family is away. When I’m home, everything is fine, but I just left for a weekend trip last night, and at about 12:30am, it crashed. I’ve moved to an SSD, and uninstalled a bunch of stuff, but I just can’t figure this out!

I am experiencing the same issues with a Raspberry Pi 4 (4GB, I believe). Once it crashes my entire network becomes unavailable. Took me a while to find out that it was Homeassistant OS to cause the issues. All of that is not tolerable since I am very much depending on a stable internet connection for work (home office). I’ve disabled a couple of plugins. But no success. I guess I will have to downgrade to a previous version of Homeassistant OS.

I can validate that the downgrade works for now.
But it can’t be THE solution. Hope someone finds where the problem comes from…

No, unfortunately, the OS downgrade is not the solution. It’s a workaround until the issue is fixed. See the links to GitHub further up the thread. We need to wait on the developers resolving this.

I have noticed that since some weeks I have random crashes on my hassio installation on a rpi 3b+. The only way to restore the system is by rebooting. I have like 4-5 integrations and 5 add-ons. However, for me the stability of home assistant is vital because I also use it as wireguard server for my external vpn.

Is it possible that there is no way to find out by looking at the logs? Where could I find the most detailed log?
I am just worried that our systems are crashing but it might be not for the same reason :confused:

robertwigley How come you downgraded to 4.8 and not for instance 5.6? Is not too much far behind 4.8?

I downgraded to OS 4.20, because that was what I was using before the issue started. Version 5.x was still in beta before being released at the same time as a Core release and the issue starting. You can try a lower 5.x version, but I can confirm that 4.20 fixes the issue and I am not fussed about being on version 5.x.

If you want to try and debug this, you can try adding:

# Home Assistant Logger customisation:
logger:
  default: debug

to your configuration.yaml to get the most detailed logging (the default is warn when there is no entry in the file) and try accessing home-assistant.log over Samba share (e.g. \\HASS-IP\config\home-assistant.log) from a PC. I never tried this at the time, so I don’t know whether it will be accessible, or if that route in will also have crashed out. Happy to take a look at logs if you can access them, although not sure I will be of much help, or if anything will even show given that this appears to be an OS issue.

@robertwigley Does OS 4.8 have support for SSD boot?

I don’t think so. You’d need to check.

Hi Henrik, it turned out to be the corrupted databases. Just go into File Editor and browse for *.db.corrupted or something alike

Are the issues you’re seeing anything like this? I’ve been having crashes in my HA core instance (RPi 4 on Ubuntu 20.04 64-bit in docker).

I think the first time I noticed it happening was also in v2020.12.0.