HASS/HASSOS on an old 32-bit laptop?

I have an old Asus 1000HE laptop which has a 32-bit processor. I want to dedicate this machine to Home Assistant so I’m thinking I don’t need to install Docker on it.
Could you kindly tell me:

1. Can Home Assistant Supervisor or HASS OS run on a 32-bit machine?
  2. What is the recommended install for a dedicated computer?
    Thanks in advance!
    Phil

i hope, this still is valid…

1 Like

Thanks so much for your reply! I’ll try it out.
Phil

It appears that one of the links in this guide is bad, i.e.
wget https://github.com/home-assistant/os-agent/releases/download/1.2.2/os-agent_1.2.2_linux_i386.deb
dpkg -i os-agent_1.2.2_linux_i386.deb

I think the correct link is:
wget Release 1.2.2 · home-assistant/os-agent · GitHub
dpkg -i os-agent_1.2.2_linux_i386.deb

Thanks! this appears to work. I got Home Assistant Supervised running on a 32-bit old laptop, the 1000HE Eee PC.

1 Like

When Home Assistant first came out, I ran the core on a 32bit machine no problem. But whenever I needed to run Docker containers, I found some were built for 64bit systems (example amd64) and these won’t run on a 32bit system. So you may be fine, but be aware of this limitation.

Hi there
Just registered to inform that I just successfully installed Home Assistant on old x32 laptop (Some Intel Atom and Linux Mint) from container.
Do not even ask how I did install Docker)))
I tried build some old x32 docker, used some repos.
Finally in is - Docker version 20.10.7, build 20.10.7-0ubuntu5~18.04.3. It is i386

So I just installed HA from Docker and it working.

You save my life. thanks a lot…

1 Like

No, I did not. Ntguest on GitHub did :wink:

Hi, I have a similar PC, I was able to get everything I think I need to run HA Supervised except docker-ce. How were you able to do that?

Hi all.

I’ve been able to get the latest version of HA supervised running on a Sony Vaio P (who remembers those), which is shaping up to be a great little low power HA server which is small, has built in WiFi, built in screen ect for admin and looks great sitting in my entertainment unit. I am sure any of the other late 00’s and 10’s cheap netbooks people have lying around would be just as good.

What I had to do was recompile the supervised installer to accept docker.io as a dependency.

Process:

1. Setup the system with Debian 12, ticking yes to linking the backported software repositories

2. Follow the instructions for installing HA here: https://community.home-assistant.io/t/installing-home-assistant-supervised-using-debian-12/200253?u=homearesistant
    a) Dont run the line curl -fsSL get.docker.com | sh, which installs docker-ce, instead install docker.io which is included in the standard debian repositories for i386: sudo apt-get install docker.io
    b) Use the 32 bit version of os agent: os-agent_1.6.0_linux_i386.deb
    c) Grab the source code for the home assistant supervised installer and modify it to support docker.io
    i) Change the line in /homeassistant-supervised/DEBIAN/control from:
    Depends: curl, bash, docker-ce, dbus, network-manager, apparmor, jq, systemd, ...
    to:
    Depends: curl, bash, docker-ce | docker.io, dbus, network-manager, apparmor, jq, systemd, ...
    ii) Compile to .deb (using the command found in .vscode/tasks.json) chmod 555 homeassistant-supervised/DEBIAN/p* && dpkg-deb --build --root-owner-group homeassistant-supervised
    d) Use the new homeassistant-supervised.deb you just created instead of the released .deb

This got me a fully functional x86 install of HA supervised that is happily supporting my MQTT devices and runing the website with good speed. Theres a chance some docker containers won’t work, but this has not been a concern for me.

Lets keep these little power efficient x86 pcs out of e-waste :slight_smile:

Cheers!

1 Like

I’m sorry, but could you describe in more detail how to complete points C, i, ii and D?
I’m not very familiar with Linux, and I don’t understand how to save the code and how to edit it, copy it and execute it. If possible, describe it step by step. Thank you in advance!

Than you @homearesistant, registered just to say that your instructions work, I think the only missing part being that one needs to do apt install cifs-utils nfs-common at some point too as they’re some dependencies, somewhere.

However, I gave up on running HA on my old EEEPC 1000HE, it was a good idea I guess (I wanted it especially that it still has a fairly decent battery! but the fan is rather noisy, albeit on the anemic side) but it’s WAY too much work with HA. It’s absolutely unreal how things break, first install I wrestled with it a little after installing systemd-resolved as it actually breaks DNS, I wrestled it back but then after installing HA it broke networking completely, I managed to bring it back by configuring the interface manually and run HA once … and then never came back after a restart.

After another reinstall and fiddling with it for a day to run the the core version in a python venv I managed to get it running by using the latest rust install from the web page (the Debian one was too old) but at some point it died with some python module dependency. Gave up on that too.

Then I had a last try using a wired network (I’ve been using wifi previously and I said maybe it’s a bit more involved configuration) and this supervised install and Docker, found this time this issue about systemd-resolved and disabled ipv6 and edited resolvd.conf, reinstalled systemd-resolved and network seems to be working, then did again the homeassistant-supervised.deb install and it killed my networking for good in this machine.

It’s unreal how bad and flimsy HA is on the networking side, and it wouldn’t matter a bit if it wouldn’t be so intrusive and demanding. Granted, our x86-32 install here is hack, on top of the last unsupported “other” option to install it, after HA Green, Raspi, HA Yellow, Odroid, x86-64. But on the other hand I have a pre-2010 USB(2!) stick with Ubuntu (full install, like on regular system drive), with even a VirtualBox XP machine. 32-bit of course coming from back then, I used it on many, many machines (including this one right now) it just works. Wired networking works out of the box, wireless needs for the first time on each machine to go in the network manager and change the device for the wifi network used (it’ll keep the credentials). Updated it from one LTS version to another (sometimes it took the whole night, thought it’ll kill the flash), it still gets updates (18.04 is out of regular support but probably they still push some patches now and then).

I’m sure Debian would be the same (maybe at some point in the future I’ll even switch to that, if I really need 32-bit, but for a boot drive on an old machine the Ubuntu 18.04 would do fine). If the OS itself just works I can’t understand why HA insists on shooting itself in the foot. But I guess it’s best to go with the crowd and stick with the Raspberry Pi 3 I’ve been using until now, no problem with that.