Hass.io 2018

No, because as explained at the start, Hass.io is the “whole thing”. You can run Home Assistant in a Docker container though.

Thank you for your feedback!

You can, however, install it on a normal Ubuntu machine that has Docker installed. I haven’t tried it, but saw some people discussing it on one of the issues I was having: https://github.com/home-assistant/hassio/issues/227#issuecomment-371716944

That being the case, you probably could come up with a way to run it in a Docker container via something like Docker-in-Docker, but I don’t know how well it would work.

That would become a Matryoshkass.io :joy:

Great work, Thanks! :slight_smile:

Loving it, thanks a bunch :slight_smile:

I read the newbie comments. It does say categorically in the instructions to wait for 20 minutes and that you won’t see anything on the screen while you do. Trouble is, most people think instructions shouldn’t be needed and don’t bother to read them. If so they do risk being called noobs (or worse, @Bobby_Nobble is pretty mild really). An engineer who doesn’t read documentation is particularly puzzling.

As for instructions on whether a laptop HDMI is input or output, that is NOT for HA’s docs to tell you. (i have never seen a laptop with HDMI in, but I have often thought it would be handy for headless computer troubleshooting.)

Any updates on the hass.io OS?
Is there anywhere to follow it’s progress?

I’d like to know more as well. I want to switch back to using my NUC but the current hassio has issues with my z-wave/zibgee stick so I’m just waiting for the new OS to be ready. The only place I know to follow it is github. There’s updates almost daily, but I have no idea how close to completion it is.

1 Like

I am in complete agreement with @klogg’s post. I spent 30+ years in IT doing a very wide range of technical chores from minicomputer (dinosaur) repair, to coding in a variety of languages, to network administration. I looked for a DIY home automation system and felt HA was the way to go. The learning curve for me has been steeper than I’d hoped and expected, but I’m not ready to throw in the towel. My reply to @klogg was just to say that post resonated with me. I appreciate all the work being done by the community to stabilize HA and to help it mature. I encourage the community to be patient with people like me that are playing catch up.

Thanks @Go4wide.

Keep going and don’t throw that towel in! There is a very steep hump to get over but I think I am eventually nearing the top, or at least I can see it in the distance (it is only fair to mention and thank @anon43302295 and @petro for answering so many of my questions).

It is worth the effort.

2 Likes

Follow an open source project is the best way to learn new things.

20+ years coder here.

1 Like

Being a total newbie stumbling on Home-assistant only a couple of month ago I rushed out an bought a RPi 3+, latest and greatest.

Now I have had Hassbian running with only self-induced problems ever since but I keep running into new hard challenges. Never done any programming and only been running Linus Terminal on a end-user-basis.

Since it is obvious that for guys like me HASS-IO is the future I do not want to spend too much time in Hassbian but would like to start tinkering with HASS-IO and NodeRed.

Should I rush out and buy a RPi 3 (previous model) or my actual question: Does anybody know the time-frame before the fine experts are releasing a Beta version of the complete new OS HASS-IO?

Are we talking half-years, month, weeks ?? anybody who can elaborate?

If I am going to spend loads of time learning to control this beast I might as well start with the “end-product”

Thanks a million so far, it is truly a fantastic small piece of software :slight_smile:

When it comes to components, they are the same between hassio and the other installation methods. The only thing that changes is the OS surrounding it, the add-ons, and the management of the base installation.

Add your components and learn how to configure them, organize them, automate them. You can change out for a different base OS later if you need.

1 Like

Waiting patiently here. Hoping that the new version will solve my ring doorbell auth. Issues.
Background:
I have played with different installs using hass.io raspbian and Ubuntu server and home assistant with Docker. I really prefer full hass.io install. Addons and configurator in particular. I have it running flawlessly on a Ubuntu server. When I try new installs on a raspberry I can’t get ring to work.
Question, can I save a snapshot on my working Ubuntu hassle.io and then upload it to a fresh install on raspbian lite??? I’m gonna try it.

Robert
I couldn’t agree with you more. I started having a look at this about 6 -8 weeks ago having bought a raspberry pi b some 4 years ago and it just sat there. i now have the new 3b+ a number of esp8266, a coupple of feather huzzah, arduino uno and other odds and ends. What fun I’m having in my man shed.
I have reinstalled hassio about 6 times now having crashed it through incompentence and little knowledge of linux.
I am a tinkerer but love the learning i’m doing.
I’m finding that small changes in your setup sometimes present the biggest difficulties as you need to find a correct matching guide with exact same build.
Anyway I like what i see and strangely I tend to have luck choosing good startup software.
I still haven’'t got all the above to talk with each other but I know I’ll get there - it might take a few more beers in the man shed.:slight_smile:

MQTT is the magic key. :wink:

Surely the community can contribute HDMI support for hass.io? It just seems like such a wasted opportunity (and interface) to complete an already brilliant tool.

I did throw in the towel back then but recently came back around. Here’s my current HA story. Just moved from Hubitat to Home Assistant

1 Like

Welcome back.

2 Likes