Hass.io Add-on: Xbox One

Just out of curiosity I followed the docs for the install and the part where you setup your redirect URI is not clear, I get the error Must start with "HTTPS" or "http://localhost" when following the docs word for word. Not sure if its a mistake or not but doesn’t work for me. It works when I was testing the Xbox-WebAPI this was built using because I was testing on localhost.

Home Assistant Account Linking was just configured today, so those manual install steps are no longer required for the component. Just go into the integrations page and add Xbox. No YAML required.

Just tweeted out a little promo video: https://twitter.com/hunterjm/status/1318352626497486849

thnx @hunterjm

I can’t seem to find it under the integrations.
Is it still work in progress or do I miss something.

This looks to be coming in 0.117, we’re still on 0.116.4 at the moment so it’ll hopefully be soon. I’m looking forward to it, the short video on twitter looked amazing.

2 Likes

Can be technically installed now as a custom component, I have tested it and it’s fantastic, really like the fact it disabled the 100+ sensors and I could pick and choose what I wanted, just need a lovely lovelace card to make them look good! I wouldn’t recommend installing it yet though as I struggled with errors using the YAML way as described above, can be done but may be unsupported issues you come across. Just keep an eye on the release candidate blog page for 0.117 to appear and it’ll give you a release date on that. https://rc.home-assistant.io/blog/

1 Like

Yeah I’ll wait until it’s official, I struggled with the previous intergration as it would never work properly for me. Very excited about this though, hopefully it’ll work with the universal media player I use for all my media players.

Good call, it also makes the xbox live sensor redundant as well which I always struggled with the rate limits on.

Integrates into universal media player just like any other media player as that’s how I have mine setup so you’ll have no worries there.

1 Like

ah that’s awesome, good to hear. Bring on 0.117 then!

1 Like

I doubt that it was intentional but the Halo fan in me loves that this is coming in 0.117 as it matches Master Chief’s Spartan Tag. Looking forward to this, a big thanks for all the hard work!

Entirely coincidence, but a nice one :slight_smile:.

It is more in line with Microsoft’s release of the new Xbox app which utilizes the same APIs this integration does.

1 Like

This is excellent news and big thanks to all that worked on this. I saw the previous integration which I struggled with.

I made the XBOX the centre of our living-room infotainment a number of years ago (BH - “Before Home Assistant”) but it struggled with switching some devices on/off with the IR blaster and I couldn’t rely on the XBOX on/off status in Home Assistant due to it waking out of sleep mode occasionally. So I built a crazy ESP8266 sensor which measures the light level from the XBOX on indicator and takes power from the USB connector below. Ha Ha. It actually works flawlessly but it would be so much better to have more effective control.

Does anyone know if there will be a way to utilize this Xbox integration to monitor/limit/report on screen time usage for the xbox?

The online sensor will let you know if a specific gamertag is online, which you can use to trigger an automation to send alerts. You can also see if a certian Xbox is on for a period of time and turn it off. So in theory, yes.

1 Like

Thanks for the reply. I guess I would need to offload and database the info to create a cumulative record or for charting usage throughout the week, for example.

Looks really useful overall, looking forward to trying it out!

Now having it in live 0.117, its nice. For me, i had a bit lag compared to the rest server custom component and buttons like view, menu and guide are missing for my use case (controlling the xbox with my ir remote), although they are supported by the lib the component uses. Atleast thats what ive read and seen, maybe im just dumb. For now, for those buttons im still using the rest server hassio addon and call them via http requests.
But the killer feature for me is im able to open apps from home assistant, which makes implementing opening apps via voice (im using rhasspy) wayyyyyy easier (old way was via programmed steps like “guide -> 2 times Down -> A” for opening youtube)

I’m also the author of the parent library. It’s in there, but tested and confirmed not working when actually building out the Home Assistant integration. The SmartGlass v3 API is still very new, so I’m sure Microsoft will be adding additional features over time that we can take advantage of. It definitely does not have feature parity with SmartGlass v2 (the old addon) yet. It’s also cloud based where the old implementation was local, which is why there is slightly more delay.

Do you know, if cloud based for v3 is forced or planned to work also locally? That delay and the fact for needing internet made me want to switch back to the old v2 component. Sometimes, I have no internet or very slow Internet but I still wanna use my xbox as media center via kodi. I think I’m gonna use both as a combined entity, to use the local integration for normal control and the new integration for directly launching apps and other things I can’t imagine what’s not working with v2.

Logger: homeassistant.helpers.integration_platform
Source: components/xbox/media_source.py:46
First occurred: 12:14:24 (1 occurrences)
Last logged: 12:14:24

Error processing platform xbox.media_source
Traceback (most recent call last):
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/helpers/integration_platform.py”, line 41, in _process
await process_platform(hass, component_name, platform)
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/media_source/init.py”, line 52, in _process_media_source_platform
hass.data[DOMAIN][domain] = await platform.async_get_media_source(hass)
File “/usr/src/homeassistant/homeassistant/components/xbox/media_source.py”, line 46, in async_get_media_source
entry = hass.config_entries.async_entries(DOMAIN)[0]
IndexError: list index out of range

and from integration i see “Canceled” by russian

All signs point to Microsoft removing v2 from the consoles. They have removed it from their phone apps. The desktop app still uses it for now, but once they release a new version there, they have no reason to not release a new console firmware that removes it entirely.

Is it just me, or is the home button in the media browser not visible in light themes. Even when using the default theme, I can only see it with dark mode. It would be great if it could use an MDI icon like the apps and games icons.