Hass.io at USB stick instead SD Card?

Hello,

In weekend i will try to install Hass.io for the first time (at Pi3). Its also my first “experience” with linux based devices, so forgive me nooby questions.
I do have some doubs about SD card, to say it simple - i dont think it will last long with constant reading/writing or/and eventual power loses. According to Murphy’s law i do expect it will fail when i will be at some trip or vacations, rendering all Automation based at this HUB dead.
I found opinion about USB sticks as generally more “reliable”, and immune to data corruption caused by power loss, so i got idea to use it as main drive instead SD card. Question is if is that possible ? If yes, how to do it ?

That’s a hardware not software level thing and is covered by raspberrypi.org themselves. Haven’t tried it myself but seem to remember you need to set a one time only switch to get it boot from usb, one time meaning forever like that!

Here you go…

https://www.raspberrypi.org/documentation/hardware/raspberrypi/bootmodes/msd.md

Looks quite easy :slight_smile: Thank you !

You aren’t going to eliminate the read write issues with a USB drive.They both use essentially the same NAND chips.
And once you commit to using your Pi with USB you can never go back.

1 Like