Hass.io does not show on new install

Hi Guys.

I just installed HA on my raspbian following this link https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/raspberry-pi/

After install finish I noticed that Hass.ie is not displaying on the left panel. So I can not install anything. So I started google it this problem and I’ve found some information on the web. Some of I’ve found bring me here, But even then I did not fix my problem,

So firtst, in my configuration.yaml I did not have hassio: but discovery was there. So I added hassio: to config file, but then when I restart HA I’ve seen this:

[homeassistant.components.hassio] Missing HASSIO environment variable.
[homeassistant.setup] Setup failed for hassio: Component failed to initialize.

Also I was trying to comment out discovery and leave just hassio: but no luck this time as well

I’m sure I have only one HA instance running at the time. As I said , there is a bunch of threads about this, but none of those helped me.

Using HA on my rpi 1 B.

Regards
1karcio

1 Like

As far as I can see, you did not install Hass.io so the panel is not there.

Follow this for Hass.io (Hass.io

Sorry, could you please be more specify?

I was following this path https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/installation/raspberry-pi/

So I would say I was follow your link. Did all steps, UI is loading, I can loggin etc.
Could you please tell me what can I do to bring back hass.io

I installed Hass.io by downloading the image file (image) and put it on a SD card with Etcher. After complete put the SD card in the PI, wait and the installation will go on till you see the HASS screen with Hass.io panel

yes, this is one of the ways you can follow, I chose install on already existing raspbian, which is also supported,

I know, but thats not Hass.io. If you want to install stuff, you have to do it via ssh. With Hass.io you can install addons easy, but they both work. Do you see the Hass screen, entity’s, etc.? Than it works.

What do you want to install?

i want to install configuration, mqtt,

How I can install this by ssh?

MQTT: https://www.home-assistant.io/components/mqtt/

What you mean with configuation?

I don’t work with this so I cannot help you a lot

Ok, understand, I can do this in shell. Just one more question, this link what you sent me is just for configuration, but not exacly how to install mosquitto

Could you please confirm those steps are correct to install mosquitto
sudo apt update
sudo apt install -y mosquitto mosquitto-clients

Sorry, I don’t know. What I did find is this https://www.home-assistant.io/docs/mqtt/broker

Be aware of the warning:

Warning
There is an issue with the Mosquitto package included in Ubuntu 14.04 LTS. Specify protocol: 3.1 in your MQTT configuration to work around this issue. If you get this error AttributeError: module 'ssl' has no attribute 'PROTOCOL_TLS' then you need to set tls_version: '1.2' .

If you are running a Mosquitto instance on the same server as Home Assistant then you must ensure that the Mosquitto service starts before Home Assistant. For a Linux instance running Systemd (Raspberry Pi, Debian, Ubuntu and others) then you should edit the file /etc/systemd/system/[email protected] as root (e.g., sudo nano /etc/systemd/system/[email protected] ) and add the Mosquitto service: [Unit] Description=Home Assistant After=network.target mosquitto.service

If you are running a Mosquitto instance on a different server with proper SSL encryption using a service like Let’s Encrypt you may have to set the certificate to the operating systems own .crt certificates file. In the instance of Ubuntu this would be certificate: /etc/ssl/certs/ca-certificates.crt

I am observing the same thing. Hassio is no where to be found and the docs only tell me how to install inside Docker

I installed the Hassbian image

You didn’t install hassio.

I can’t believe we are still having to explain the difference between the two.

You are running home assistant. Not hassio. There is no hassio page if you’re not running hassio.

Help me understand, I followed the instructions for installing a Hassio image onto a RPI3 and end up with an unbootable device, I connected an HDMI monitor to observe the boot process.

So I try the Hassbian image, this works and the device boots, but the default config complains about the default config not being able to setup.

Yes, I don’t understand the difference between Hassio and HomeAssistant, I thought hassio was a sub component of HomeAssistant.

Hassio is a METHOD of installation.

Hassio consists of 2 docker containers. HassOS is a stripped down docker host that can run hassio on a pi (image) or a VM on a server. Hassio can run on normal docker, on a generic Linux install.

You don’t need hassio menu to use Home Assistant. Add-ons are merely other applications running in other docker containers alongside hassio.

Add-ons add to the functionality of the system as a whole, but you can install the same applications in any generic Linux install or in docker. Add-ons are not required.

Thanks for explaining.

I think I feel more comfortable with a more Linux based install so I think Hasbian make sense for me.

To get into what each flavor really is:

HassOS is a minimal linux install which has Docker on it, with HassIO preinstalled. It runs headless, which is to say that that computer running it has no GUI (if you attach your RasPi to a monitor, it won’t give you an interface to use.

HassIO is a way of installing Home-Assistant inside docker. It includes a supervisor container and a container running Home Assistant. It allows you to install AddOns which are separate docker containers. The supervisor container of HassIO takes care of managing the other containers used for home assistant.
You can also add your own containers to Docker without HassIO caring about them.
You can run HassIO on a linux install that has a GUI, or one that is headless; in either case you can still use this computer to do other things, with docker running in the background.

Home-Assistant is the specific python program. This is what’s actually running at the core of every HA install.

Hassbian is a SD card disk image which is a Raspbian installation with home Assistant in Virtual Environment, pre-installed.

So, to summarize, the most popular install on a RasPi is HassOS, which is:
HassOS->Docker->HassIO->Home-Assistant+AddOns

On other devices (such as desktops, laptops, servers, NUCs), HassIO is the popular choice, which is:
LinuxOS(usually)->Docker->HassIO->Home-Assistant+AddOns

If you’re using Hassbian, that’s:
RaspianOS->PyVENV->Home-Assistant

I’m sorry. It’s not your fault. It’s a frustration I have with how the documentation explains it. It’s not made abundantly clear on the website.

I understand, I gave up normal Linux install (Raspbian+Home Assistant), and l also couldn’t see Hass.io.
I found out the hard way that Hass.io is not part of the Home Assistant, but it’s like a core thing in Home Assistant. If you want Mqtt Broker, you install it by Add-On. If you want Zigbee2Mqtt, you install Add-On. If you don’t have Hass.io you can do nothing. Because there’s also no explanation how to do it without Hass.io.

So, although Home Assistant looks cool, it really sucks on documentation. If I wasn’t married and have no kids, I could have plenty of time to figure things out or even help creating add-ons or write better documentation. But I’m a busy man with little time to have fun with home automation and the lack of good documentation is a bit stressful. And yes, I’m thankful to the volunteers for this nice project, but yeah, just my frustration.

3 Likes

It took me a very long time to figure this out but it seems Hassio tab no longer exists and you simply have to add the repository. I was trying to add the full repo link which never worked.
The correct repo to add is

Go to the Supervisor tab, then click Add-on store, click the hamburger (vertical ellipses thing) and click on the top right of the page and select repositories.
Add the above url and you will get access to all the community add-ons.

The hassio tab… aka hassio side panel is now called the Supervisor side panel. Hassio is a relic of the past and doesn’t exist anymore.